Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you loyal to a particular company?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Are you loyal to a particular company?

Old 03-06-01, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me it was Sega.

When I bought my first game system it was up between Gameboy and Sega's Game Gear. I chose the Game Gear due to the color display.

Then I bought the Streets of Rage 2 Genesis pack, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Boy was I hooked.

Then Sega came out with the 32X, I thought awesome, Sega's leading the pack with a 32 bit machine. I bought this too.

Then the Saturn came out. I bought it on its downslide without knowing.

I just recently bought the Dreamcast(this time I waited until the price fell and this time I knew it was a dead system).

I just like the Sega company, even though they are terrible marketers, I like their consoles and their games. I have an N64, but I don't think I'll ever buy a PS2. It's not because I think the DC is better than the PS2, I don't know because I've never used a PS2, I just like Sega.
Old 03-06-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see the Sega vs. Sony/Nintendo controversy similar to the Apple vs. PC controversy. Although I have all three game systems, I tend to buy the system because there is a game I want to play. So, no loyalty here.

It's all about the games.
Old 03-06-01, 05:29 PM

Games make the system, BUT when the hardware manufacturer is also making the games, a la Sega and Nintendo, ya can't go wrong.
Old 03-06-01, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nintendo and capcom. their games are the highest quality games ever IMO. Mario, zelda, and the (real) Street fighter series are the best.
Old 03-06-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Not to a particular console. I buy games for what they are not what I play them on. However, as far as software goes I have been loyal to Square. Not every Square game is a masterpiece, but even some of the less popular ones like Legend of Mana and Threads of Fate or worth it when the drop down to the $20 level. Last year Chrono Cross and Front Mission III were by far my favorite PSX titles. Add FFIX to that and it was a pretty good year for Square. I also buy a lot of stuff that Working Designs and Atlus bring over to the US. I can't wait for the Arc of Lad trilogy. Of course Sega and Nintendo usually come through with good stuff as well.
Old 03-06-01, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darkside
However, as far as software goes I have been loyal to Square.
Word.

Square is most definitely the company I will buy games for no matter what. Nearly every RPG (my favorite type of game) I play and enjoy is Square (Not to say I haven't missed quite a few). Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross, FF7, FF8, (soon) FF9 and FF Anthology... Hope to get to others, maybe Wild Arms 2, Front Mission 3, Legend of Mana, etc. (cough Suggestions? cough )

As for hardware, I was loyal to Sega from getting 32x after Genesis. After that, I got some sense and bought a Playstation (even though I was considering Saturn).
Old 03-06-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 907 Likes on 633 Posts
honestly nintendo all the way. i have all their systems except for the virtual boy. remember that waterworld of a system. my main complaint i have about them is that they lost their oh so awesome partnership with square. come to think about it most of my games are either from nintendo or rare.
Old 03-07-01, 09:13 AM

I'll follow Squaresoft to any system they decide to support.
Old 03-07-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tanman,
Goodnews is that square wants to make games for nintendo, its just a matter if Nintendo will let them. But hey, anything is possible. Amazinly nintendo and namcom are freinds again. I bet they will be on board for Gamecube, besides Sony can only give sqyare so much money.

As far as my loyalities go: I go were the great games are, which usually leaves me in Sega or nintendo camp. however I do own all systems and enjoy my FF.
Old 03-07-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think i've always been impartial to EA

madden and lakers vs celtics (the ORIGINAL nba live) were the first two games i bought for genesis and since then, i've owned every madden title through to ps2.

i read somewhere that they bought this company bullfrog awhile ago, but sadly, i haven't seen ea venture into any games like - syndicate (pc)

Old 03-07-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 907 Likes on 633 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Tanman,
Goodnews is that square wants to make games for nintendo, its just a matter if Nintendo will let them. But hey, anything is possible. Amazinly nintendo and namcom are freinds again. I bet they will be on board for Gamecube, besides Sony can only give sqyare so much money.
Wow! no way! that will be awesome! hopefully the good ole' days of the super nintendo will be back!
Old 03-07-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by qbert
i think i've always been impartial to EA

madden and lakers vs celtics (the ORIGINAL nba live) were the first two games i bought for genesis and since then, i've owned every madden title through to ps2.

i read somewhere that they bought this company bullfrog awhile ago, but sadly, i haven't seen ea venture into any games like - syndicate (pc)

EA released Syndicate and Theme Park for the 3DO way back when. Lately though EA seems to want to stick to the sports realm only. Thats sad because they had quite a few good action and adventure games back in the early 90's. Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes from EA is one of my alltime favorites.
Old 03-08-01, 12:59 AM
Retired

I just like great games regardless of what system there on, but I must confess to being slightly "loyal" to nintendo. I grew up on the NES and SNES, and wouldn't have a love of video games if it weren't for Nintendo. You just can't top there first party stuff, Sega comes awfully close, but is just slightly below them IMO. Plus they have Rare as an exclusive developer too.
Old 03-08-01, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I have to go with sega. sure they lose interest in there systems after a while, but they have the best stuff..

Another is CAPCOM

one kick ass developer.. hands down.