Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Exile: Myst 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-01, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't even know about this game until today and actually stumbled upon it by accident. Apparently it will be released May 7th. Anyway, the trailer is really cool if you haven't seen it. There are 5 ages once again but it's still 4 cd-roms (dvd coming out later in the year). The download section is below (contains the trailer).

http://www.myst3.com/html/downloads.html
Old 03-06-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is important to note that Cyan is not the company behind Myst 3 because they are working on their own on-line world-type game supposedly. Presto Studios is the company behind Myst 3 if I remember correctly. They of the Journeyman Project games. That's all.
Old 03-06-01, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
It is important to note that Cyan is not the company behind Myst 3 because they are working on their own on-line world-type game supposedly. Presto Studios is the company behind Myst 3 if I remember correctly. They of the Journeyman Project games. That's all.
Yup, I read that however Cyan was fully involved in the storyline of Myst 3 so that it will be in line with the previous games and books
Old 03-06-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking forward to this game about as much as I'm looking forward to a punch in the back of the head. (I never much cared for Myst.)

-Matt

[Edited by Matthew on 03-06-01 at 02:04 PM]
Old 03-06-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved Myst and Riven, but was waiting on this one to see how it turned out. I will have to wait for a console version anyway since my PC is getting too old for games. Maybe if its good there will be a DVD version on the PS2. Hell, if it sucks there is probably even a better chance for a PS2 version.
Old 03-06-01, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't enojy Myst but I did enjoy Riven and I am looking forward to part 3. BTW, Presto Studios did The Journeyman Series which completely rocked!
Old 04-15-01, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I CAN'T WAIT! My only fear is this: RealMyst was a full 360 reality that you could move around in, similar to games like halflife.
However the engine sucked, and wouldn't run on my PIII 550. So if Myst 3 Exile runs on a similar engine i'll be taking my copy back to the store for a return!
(but, according to the system requirements, myst3 exile takes less system resources than realmyst, so i'm praying it'll work way better)
Old 04-16-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I CAN'T WAIT! My only fear is this: RealMyst was a full 360 reality that you could move around in, similar to games like halflife.
However the engine sucked, and wouldn't run on my PIII 550. So if Myst 3 Exile runs on a similar engine i'll be taking my copy back to the store for a return!
(but, according to the system requirements, myst3 exile takes less system resources than realmyst, so i'm praying it'll work way better)
Yes, the system requirements are lower because they're not using the same engine as realMyst. They did this on purpose so just about everyone will be able to run the game w/o having to upgrade their computer. It will be more of a compromise between realMyst engine and the old-style Myst/Riven. Not sure of exact details but I know you'll be able to pan a full 360 degrees at any location which should be kewl. I really like how they're going back to 5 separate ages and are gonna make the puzzles less frustrating as some were in Riven. Should be a great game. Just wish they'd release a dvd-rom version at the same time so we wouldn't have to swap discs all the time..oh well
Old 04-16-01, 11:02 PM

No kidding... First it was going to be three weeks after for the DVD, and now they're saying FOURTH QUARTER! If even that! But nevertheless, i'm still waiting for this holding my breath! What you said abtou the engines is basically what i had heard already, and whats been rumored around. But i still hope they didn't jack it up somehow. The realmyst engine was just screwy. Oh well, we'll all know soon enough!
Old 04-17-01, 08:18 PM
Banned

4th quarter for the DVD
Old 04-17-01, 08:27 PM

Yup. You heard right, I said 4Q.

This if off the Myst3 website FAQ:

"Will it be released on DVD?

A DVD version of the game is now expected to ship before Christmas."

And you know what that means... It'll probably be later than that.
Old 04-17-01, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if the graphics of the Riven DVD-Rom version were better than CD-Rom?

If not, I don't mind multiple cds as long as I don't have to change them every 5-10 minutes like I did in Riven
Old 04-18-01, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else notice that the end of the trailer says "STARRING BRAD DOURIF"? This is the guy who does the voice of Chucky in the Child's Play movies.
Old 04-18-01, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Jamezuva
Does anyone know if the graphics of the Riven DVD-Rom version were better than CD-Rom?
I have the DVD-ROM version of Riven and I think the only graphical difference is the in game videos are slightly higher resolution. The still graphics are the same.
Old 04-18-01, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my pet peeves for the first two games was the low resolution settings (of course the graphics were still great). I have my monitor at 1280x1024 and I hate playing any game that doesn't take up my whole screen

[Edited by Jamezuva on 04-18-01 at 11:12 PM]
Old 05-03-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only a few more days.

Does anyone know whether this will run in windows 2000? I've only seen confirmed compatibility with 95/98/Me but no mention of NT systems.
Old 05-03-01, 03:35 PM

I can't wait! I have mine preordered with an HP Amazon coupon I found in a dead email account I never use! So that's 34.99 plus S&H... Which if they dont' ship that first day I'll complain and get that back too The reviews I've ran across on the internet are sounding promising! I'm tempted to get the Prima Players guide for it (amazon 15.99) Anyone know if this will be worth it? There won't be any walkthrough's or hints on the internet for a while, so it might be worth the price.
Old 05-03-01, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nah, don't buy a strategy guide. That ruins the fun. It shouldn't be as frustrating as some of the puzzles in Riven from what I've read. Plus, the game itself will let you know if you are on the right track! Believe me, with this type of game, you will feel a lot more satisfied when you are able to complete the puzzles with pure thinking rather than resorting to a guide after getting stuck for 10 min.
Old 05-04-01, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will run on NT/2000 systems.

As far as the navigation goes: It's just like Riven/Myst. So you have specific nodes that you can go to, and you can look around in different directions from that node and go to another node. The only difference is that at each node, when you look around in different directions, it's not a slide show, but a full 360 degree sphere that you can pan around in. But then when you move to another node, it's a slideshow move, not a fluid-moving animation scene.
Old 05-04-01, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crap. Did Riven work in Windows 2000?
Old 05-04-01, 11:57 AM

From the official Myst3 website:

Will MYST III: Exile work on Windows 2000?

Myst III: Exile will work on Windows 2000, provided the machine meets the minimum requirements for the game.
Old 05-04-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Odie: I could kiss you!!!! You just made my day
Old 05-04-01, 03:59 PM

Prices!??!
Okay, in another thread in the DVD bargains, someone quoted from bestbuy ad for next week at 34.99 for regular, and 44.99 for the collector's edition.
This would be 10$ under what amazon is selling it for. (i got mine with an old HP 10 off promo so i'm still about right) But if Besbuy has this for 34.99 and i wouldn't have to pay shipping i'll probably cancel the amazon and buy it tuesday at the B&M.
Any one have confirmation on B&M prices, or prices in general?? Any point in getting the CE, sounds pretty crappy to me so i'll jsut stick with the regular, unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Old 05-05-01, 01:11 AM

Amazon has just updated their price to reflect the new MSRP price for Exile!

The new price is 39.99 with free shipping! So if you have a verizon GC laying around you can get this for $35 easy. Just in case the best buy price I heard was incorrect.
Old 05-06-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for pointing out the new amazon.com price and shipping promotion! Now, if only my dang Ofoto GC would get here...it's been over 3 weeks!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.