Onimusha and assorted questions...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Onimusha and assorted questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-01, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently do not own a console, although I am currently trying to decide on one to buy (please don't start a console vs. console war). I originally thought about either a DC or PS1- both are $100, but now I'm not so sure. My problem is, I might want a PS2 because Gran Turismo 3 looks freakin amazing. I also have a question about this game (Onimusha). Is it PS2 only? Is it any good? Again it looks awesome and would be a good factor for getting a PS2, it would just be a little tougher to justify the added $200 dollar expense- since I already game with my PC. I also thought about an X Box, but I don't know enough of the titles to make that decision. I only know of two of the confirmed games for it- Halo and Abe's Oddysee. This may be sacrilege, but I am one of the only people who really couldn't care about Halo and I played other Abe's games and thought they were pure a$$.
Old 03-04-01, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right NOW the system with the best games (which is what matters) is the Dreamcast. If you've NEVER had a PS1, then by all means get that. All sorts of great games and most of them are REALLY cheap now. Then again, the DC has got a LOT of GREAT games pretty cheap now... and with better graphics...

I've not played my PS2 in about 2 months now. I've got 2 games which were beaten REALLY quick. Not to say they aren't good, just overplayed. There are a few PS2 games coming out soon worth getting, but not that many, whereas the DC has about 30 GREAT games out already with more soon.

Hope that's helped some.
Old 03-04-01, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a PS2, its gonna have some great games in a few months. The DC is good but it has only a few good games that i like out now, maybe like 6 or 7 for me. And they have about 5 more that im looking forward to(Shenmue 2, Crazy Taxi 2,Sonic 2 and some others) before the system goes bye bye. The PS2 has some sloppy titles now except for SSX but Onimusha looks like its gonna be great and it comes out the 14th. Also the've got alot of sweet games planned like:

Devil May Cry
Silent Hill 2
Portal Runner
Metal Gear Solid 2:SOR
and games like WWF Smackdown 3, Resident Evil 4, Tekken 4 and even Soul Caliber 2 are in the works.

I mean pick up the DC, its cheap and has some games that'll keep you satisfied and happy but i think getting a PS2 will be a good investment for a longer beneficial future as DC will not be. You'll be happy with the games you get for the DC now and mayb the next year, but after that you'll be stuck with what you have and you'll watch all the other systems like the PS2 make great games. But this is just my opinion.

[Edited by thegame370 on 03-04-01 at 01:13 AM]
Old 03-04-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To answer you questions.

1)GT3 is obviously going to be a Sony exclusive and therefore will only appear on the PS2.

2)Onimusha is a Capcom game in the same vein as the RE games. Right now it has only been announced for the PS2. Capcom has not really divulged a whole about what it's plans are for the X Box. However, traditionally Capcom has been a multi-platform deliver and there is every good chance it will make Onimusha for the X Box, although there is no guarantee of this.

My advice would be to buy a Dreamcast now, there are a lot of good games for it including Sega GT, Daytona USA (not out just yet), RE:Code Veronica etc. When the X Box is released and there is more concrete info regarding it's games you can make an informed decision as to whether to go with the PS2 or the X Box.

One more thing, E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) is taking place in LA in May, and it's quite possible there will be a lot more info regarding the various consoles including X Box soon available at that time. I'm hoping there will be lots to see of X Box, Game Cube, PS2 and Game Boy Advance as I am going to attend myself.
Old 03-04-01, 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the info,guys. One more question- I thought that I read somewhere that the PS2 plays PS1 games, is that true?
Old 03-05-01, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes that's true.

And just to add my input - even though I own both a Dreamcast and a PS2, I'd say take the $300 the PS2 costs, and get a DC with about 5-10 games. Even though I haven't owned a PS1 for 2 years, after I got a PS2, I absolutely can't bring myself to actually play a PS1 game on it...not after having a Dreamcast for over 2 years and playing Ridge Racer V on PS2. I never want to see "pixelly" 3-D crap again!