Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best PSX FF game - 7, 8, or 9?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-01, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a 'hot topic' for y'all. Having played all three, I'm of the (minority) opinion that 8 blew the other two away. There was just some "oomph" in that story that the other two lacked. Seven came very close, but it never became really personal for me, I guess. Maybe it's because I'm a college student, and the whole Garden thing in 8 really appealed to me.

9 I finished a few weeks ago, and found it shallow and more movie than game, to an even greater extent than the previous entries. I mean, the coolest thing 8 introduced was having your characters in pre-rendered movie scenes, like the parade and garden clash; these scenes were so incredible I reset and played them again immediately after clearing those areas. Where is this in 9? I suppose the scenes with the vines and all, but it just didn't have the same feel... Perhaps I've been jaded to the technology? There was a somewhat gothic quality in 8, perhaps, that 9 lost.

I know 8 is one of the least liked FF games, so I'm interested to hear some replies. And I've left out the old games; while there is some great gameplay back there (I loved switching classes during the game), and some very cool story in 6 (maybe 5), the older games are so wildly different from the modern versions that comparison becomes more "dueling nostalgia" than real review.

Note: I'm using the Japanese game numbers here; 5 and 6 are the most recent Super Nintendo versions (2 & 3?) in the states.

So, let's hear it: Which modern FF game rocks the llama?
Old 02-25-01, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hated 8....

Liked both 7 and 9....I would probably have to say I liked 9 more than 7....pretty close though!!!
Old 02-25-01, 10:16 AM

I liked 9 better. The graphics on that game were amazing!
Old 02-25-01, 10:17 AM

I think 8 was the best. 7 was good and 9 was just way too easy. Trance Kuja and Necron were the easiest bosses of all the FF games.

[Edited by stier_99 on 02-25-01 at 08:21 AM]
Old 02-25-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7 for me. but then again.. i'd rather play 3 more.

I say 7, because man, that one hit some nerves... sad as all hell. and the characters were very cool. i didn't like 8 at all. it had some great visuals, but story wise didn't do much for me.

Old 02-25-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the Anthology! FF6 I guess that makes it. 7, 8 and 9 weren't old school so I didn't even consider them real Final Fantasy games. Give me FF2 on the SNES any day over all 3 of them.
Old 02-25-01, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't finished 9 yet (and I love it so far), so between 7 and 8, it's ...... I'm not sure. There were so many good things about both. I would probably say 7 if
Spoiler:
Aeris hadn't died. That sucked.
Still, 8 was just as great.
Old 02-25-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FF Tactics
Old 02-25-01, 04:33 PM

FF6 is the best! FF7-8-9 are not "real" Final Fantasy games. They look more like Final Fiction to me!

I played to FF1, FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8 and I am waiting for FF9 to come for PC (or use an emulator if they're too cheap to upgrade their low 320X240 graphics to a whooping 640X480...) and I have to say that FF6 is really the best! You haven't really played to FF if you never played the classic ones (before 7)
Old 02-26-01, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, it's gotta be Final Fantasy VIII. FFVII and FFIX were great games (especially the first one, being revolutionary and all), but I really got the most into FFVIII. Some criticized the "cheap" way of revealing
Spoiler:
how all the main characters' pasts as being linked - they were all from the same orphanage
- but I loved it! "Triple Triad" was great fun too. And the ending FMV? Awesome! I also loved how, near the end, you realized
Spoiler:
the relationship between Squall and Laguna.
Old 02-26-01, 01:57 PM

I haven't played FF9, but I think FF7 was just WAYYY better than FF8. Hard to say why, but I just loved the battle system so much more, and the story, world and overall atmosphere of FF7 was much more appealing to me.
Old 02-26-01, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Didn't care too much for VIII, but IX was pretty amazing. VII would be my favorite of the three, because it was the most ground breaking. Of course the best Final Fantasy game made from a gameplay standpoint was Tactics IMO.
Old 02-26-01, 03:50 PM

Eww I hate Tactics, the story sucked and the gameplay was boring compared to Vandal Hearts. (see other thread)
Old 02-28-01, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

agree with boba fett - the old school ffs were way better. these new ffs on ps are wayyy to linear - a leads to b leads to c leads to d. at least in the old ones you weren't as sure whether b was first or a; know what im sayin? even missing the original ff from nes
Old 03-01-01, 05:25 AM

FF7 was a gem. Was just an awesome game, especially considering when it came out. It was definitely groundbreaking. FF8 SUCKED. Graphics were good, but not super deformed? Who really wants that realistic crap. Also, I could not BELIEVE they had such a horrible combat system. Was there any need for weapons or spells? I never used either. Every turn I summoned summoned summoned. You don't need much strategy to do that. I literally went through the game just summoning every combat turn. I am playing FF9 (40 hours in) and am psyched. This is getting back to what made FF series to awesome. Vivi is straight old school. Not sure if it will top 7, but will be VERY close. Great work Square!
Old 03-02-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those who didn't like 8, but liked 7(DON'T want to start a debate) ... FF8 sucks??? I agree the battle system was a pain in the @$$ (drawing spells, waiting for summons to finish) and it was kind of easy, but the story definitely made up for some of those deficiencies. The story was beautiful at times, especially the growing relationship between Rinoa and Squall. Just my opinion, I guess ...