Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best PS2 Games?

Old 02-23-01, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered one and was wondering what games to buy. I've played Tekken Tag at a friend's and that's a definite buy. I have little to no idea what else to get though. Help me out, what are the best PS2 games out right now/ones to look out for?
Old 02-23-01, 10:46 PM

S S X
Old 02-23-01, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ssx and madden.
Old 02-24-01, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SSX. And I hate sports games.

If you like fighting, DOA2. Tekken has a lot of hidden options, but unless you're already a fan, isn't nearly as much fun. And yes, I own both.

Dynasty Warriors 2 is actually pretty addicting, at least from the level I got on the free demo disc.

If you like Bust-a-move, or puzzle games in general, there's a version on PS2. Haven't played it; anybody else own the game?

That's pretty much it, right now, that I can think of. Most of the really good stuff is slated for later this year.

If you can't wait, and have the dough, a Dreamcast costs as much as 2 PS2 games, and there's some great stuff there. Just got one myself, and after having vehemently defended Sony's newest system in the past (I waited 10 hours in the freezing cold outside a local Wal-Mart to get one) I gotta admit, at a third of the price, the Dreamcast is a good little system. But I gotta ask, why did they not include a @#$%@#$^@# reset button!?

Sigh.
Old 02-24-01, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MWoody
But I gotta ask, why did they not include a @#$%@#$^@# reset button!?

Sigh.

If you look in the instruction manual....I believe holding A, B, X, Y down together and hitting Start will reset the unit.
Old 02-24-01, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I found this thread very funny. Best and PS2 are not words that go together very well right now. Aside from sports titles there isn't much worth the $50 price tag for new PS2 games. Bouncer looks decent, but GT3 is probably going to be the first must have game for the system.
Old 02-24-01, 09:47 AM

SSX is great game. I would also have to put Starfighter up there as one to own.
Old 02-24-01, 09:48 AM

I would definitely go with Madden.
Old 02-24-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MWoody
If you can't wait, and have the dough, a Dreamcast costs as much as 2 PS2 games, and there's some great stuff there. Just got one myself, and after having vehemently defended Sony's newest system in the past (I waited 10 hours in the freezing cold outside a local Wal-Mart to get one) I gotta admit, at a third of the price, the Dreamcast is a good little system.
Actually, a family member has DC so no reason to buy another.

Thanks for the suggestions. SSX and Madden look great. Now I just wish the games weren't $50 each.
Old 02-24-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knockout Kings 2001 is a pretty sweet game. Definitely worth trying anyways.

I had a rent 1 get 1 coupon from blockbuster so I rented KO kings 2001 and Oni. I took them back yesterday without ever really playing Oni.

BTW Madden and SSX rock. NBA Live isn't too shabby either
Old 02-24-01, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best games:
SSX
Madden 2001
DOA
Timesplitters
FIFA 2001
Tekken Tag

Pretty good games:
Ridge Racer
Dynasty Warriors 2
Smugglers Run
ATV Offroad
Kessen

Just on a side note, I think a lot of people were looking forward to The Bouncer, but it is getting critically panned so far as it is missing some of the features that were promised and the gameplay is lackluster.

Grand Tourismo 3 looks awesome, I played the demo at the Playstation store in the Sony Metreon and it will definitely be worth purchasing. Shame that it keeps on getting delayed. The new release date is now some time in June.
Old 02-24-01, 01:20 PM

Best PS2 games? Ha, that's a good one! I have these and have found them to be good:

Dynasty Warriors 2
Gradius 3+4
Gungriffon Blaze
Oni
DOA2: Hardcore
Ridge Racer 5

Everything else sucks Oh yeah, if I hear one more person say they can't wait for The Bouncer, I think I'll puke. Have you guys read any actual reviews of the game? It supposedly is really short and not worth the money. Heck, if you're going to spend $50 on that p.o.s., why not spend the extra $50 and get yourself a good system, like a Dreamcast
Old 02-24-01, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Madden and Oni. I haven't played anything else that is worth buying. I'm not really into racing games, but I've heard that a couple of the racing games that are out are pretty good if you're into that.
Old 02-24-01, 05:05 PM

NHL 2001 and SSX are pretty good.

If you like fighting games, Tekken Tag and DOA2 are decent (especially if you can get past the DOA2 win phrases).
Old 02-24-01, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Oni
Is this game good?? I thought it looked great, but then I read EGM's poor review of it.
Old 02-24-01, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Madden 2001
SSX
Tekken Tag Tournament (the hidden bowling feature is great to play with friends)
DOA2 Hardcore
Star Wars Starfighter

(Avoid EA Sports F1 title ... ugh.)
Old 02-24-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NHL Hockey 2001(ea)
ATV Off Road Fury
Star Wars Starfighter
Tony Hawk 2 (psone)
Old 02-25-01, 12:36 AM

Starwars Starfighter
Old 02-25-01, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why not spend the extra $50 and get yourself a good system, like a Dreamcast [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, go ahead and spend $100.00 bucks on a system thats gonna kick the bucket and retire soon. Thats a wise choice.
Old 02-25-01, 06:03 AM
Cool New Member

Star Wars starfighter was fun

This is not a flame but just me being honest

Anyone who thinks timesplitters is GOOD is severely lacking playing some quality FPS. Pickup counterstrike and you will think timesplitters is a POS
Old 02-25-01, 05:37 PM
Cool New Member

I would go with Madden and SSX. I'm not a big sports gamer but these two games have changed my gaming habits.
Old 02-25-01, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RJainMJ
Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Oni
Is this game good?? I thought it looked great, but then I read EGM's poor review of it.

Very poor review at that....I will be avoiding this title like the plague!!!
Old 02-26-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have only had my PS2 for a few weeks, but some games to own are:

1. SSX - I hate snowboarding games, but this game is phenomenal, a must have even if you hate sports/snowboarding.

2. Madden 2001 - the best of the EA Sports games out now. I am probably not going to pick up FIFA or NHL because I already have them on computer and why spend $10 extra for the PS2 version?

3. Tekken Tag Tournament/DOA2 - if you're a fighting fan, you can't go wrong with either game.

4. Star Wars: Starfighter - it's a cool game and a good first effort for LucasArts.

As for The Bouncer, you really don't want to buy it unless you are a big Final Fight fan or you want to show off the graphical prowess of the PS2. I played the import version at a friend's house and you can beat the game easily in 1 hr and 30 min. Problem with that is that 1 hour of that is taken up by the cutscenes and FMVs. It is at best a rental unless you really feel like plunking down $50 for a 1 hr. and 30 min. game. And yes, you can go back into the game and unlock more characters and bring the levels of your characters to their maximum. There is replayability in the game, but it is just your basic Final Fight/Double Dragon game.

Square went wrong somewhere in the game development of The Bouncer. This makes 2 disappointing Square games (Driving Emotion S the other one). But they will rebound with FFX I am sure. If you like mindless fighthing you can get the Bouncer, but eveything you've heard on-line is true. Rent it first and see if you want to own it.

AgtFox
Old 02-26-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
Square went wrong somewhere in the game development of The Bouncer. This makes 2 disappointing Square games (Driving Emotion S the other one). But they will rebound with FFX I am sure. If you like mindless fighthing you can get the Bouncer, but eveything you've heard on-line is true. Rent it first and see if you want to own it.

AgtFox
I will probably not go for Bouncer because of the reasons you listed. Anyone know if Sony is planning to reduce the prices for PS2 games anytime? By the way, I'm a bit surprised by the lack of titles by Square listed for PS2. These were the only ones listed at IGN:
All Star Pro Wrestling
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Gekikuukan Pro Baseball: At The End Of The Century 1999

2 FF titles and 2 sports titles (one of which is probably not going to be released in the US)?? That's very disappointing in my opinion. Square makes many great RPG's besides Final Fantasy (Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, etc). I hope these continue!!!
Old 02-27-01, 02:19 AM

The ones I like are: Madden, DOA, SSX, Timesplitters, Tekken, and ATV.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.