Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sega Drops the Dreamcast

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quote:<HR>NEW YORK -- Japanese video game maker Sega Corp., which is facing severe competition from rivals Nintendo Co. Ltd. and Sony Computer Entertainment, will give up the game console business, Nihon Keizai Shimbun said.

Wednesday's edition of the economic daily, monitored in New York on Tuesday, said Sega will stop producing its Dreamcast game console by the end of March and will focus on developing and marketing game software
instead.
<HR>

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41370,00.html

Wtf is with that, it's the best console out there. I don't see what kind of competition Nintendo can offer, the N64 is the biggest joke i've ever seen and most ppl I know are getting rid of it, including video gaming stores. As for Software, Sega has yet to release any software that I would even consider looking at, much less purchase.

------------------
The 3rd warrior of the OTHER forum
Old 01-23-01, 04:20 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These stories keep popping up that Sega is going to leave the hardware business and focus on software, but they are shot down everytime. We will see some older sega titles on other systems, but they aren't giving up on the Dreamcast. As for Sega not making any good games, where have you been. Sonic, Seaman, Virtua Tennis, NFL2K's, NBA2K's, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter, etc are all first party Sega games. By the way, your link doesn't work.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 01-23-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This rumor has been floating around since about September 10th 1999

------------------
The Sixers are hotter than Britney's little shimmy on the American Music Awards. - HoopsTV.com
The DVD Collection

[This message has been edited by joltaddict (edited January 23, 2001).]
Old 01-23-01, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always liked SEGA, but I can remember them changing the systems ALL the time, and once I bought one, and the next, it was being replaced with still another.

Change is good, but this is ridiculous.

WHEN WILL IT ALL END???

( )

The EDIT KING

[This message has been edited by Paul 3rd (edited January 23, 2001).]
Old 01-23-01, 04:41 PM
Banned

This fits in very nicely with the news that Sega has reached an agreement with Scientific Atlanta and Pace (both digital set top box manufacturers) for their STBs to play Dreamcast games.
Old 01-23-01, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by gareth:
This fits in very nicely with the news that Sega has reached an agreement with Scientific Atlanta and Pace (both digital set top box manufacturers) for their STBs to play Dreamcast games.
<HR>

And browse the web, I assume, since the DC comes with a web browser and a modem. And you can buy a broadband adapter now (for cable/dsl access).

[This message has been edited by rickforrest (edited January 23, 2001).]
Old 01-23-01, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope software companies continue to make great games. And I hope Sega continues with another console to make NFL2k/NBA2k's - hope they side with Xbox or something.
Old 01-23-01, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by joshhinkle:
These stories keep popping up that Sega is going to leave the hardware business and focus on software, but they are shot down everytime. We will see some older sega titles on other systems, but they aren't giving up on the Dreamcast. As for Sega not making any good games, where have you been. Sonic, Seaman, Virtua Tennis, NFL2K's, NBA2K's, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter, etc are all first party Sega games. By the way, your link doesn't work.
<HR>

Software as in pc software, not console which is what they seem to be saying on the site, and the link does work here... dunno.

------------------
The 3rd warrior of the OTHER forum
Old 01-23-01, 05:04 PM

I personally like Sega and the Dreamcast.

Sega has denied these rumors.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200....hl.ne_4575165

------------------
"Can I feed Mitch?"

The Widescreen FAQ
My Home Theater
My Growing DVD Collection
Old 01-23-01, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not gonna happen. Sega makes the best games and I will continue to support the Dreamcast. March baby, Halflife and Unreal Tournament. Not to mention there are games out there now I want that I just haven't had the chance to buy yet.

Old 01-23-01, 05:37 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Next week I think Target is going to have these Dreamcast games for 19 bucks each.

Shenmue
Jet Grind Radio
Quake III: Arena
Sonic Shuffle
NBA 2k1
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Royal Rumble

With these prices, everyone should buy a dreamcast!
Old 01-23-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll beileve it when I see it
Old 01-23-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This exact same story keeps coming up and has been for many months. It makes me wonder what the real source of it is?

I can't help but imagine it's good for a competitor that this kind of story instills some doubt about Sega.
Old 01-23-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just do not see this happening anytime soon.....Dreamcast has been doing too well up to this point for them to consider this option!!!

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-23-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I think not.

------------------
Michael
Sega.Net bigdaddymh
Your the man now dawg!
I'm Fresh Like A Can of Picante
The 8th Warrior of the Other Forum

Wow look at all those DVD's
And those are cool CD's
Do not click me.
Old 01-23-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm actually thinking about buying a dreamcast.. had no ambition to before, but i've been considering it as of late..
Old 01-23-01, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Complete bullsh*T Rumor!

Sega has another 2-3 good years left. They are not going down anytime soon, and 40-50 great first party games coming this year. Some are likely to be games of the year. Shenmue 2 coming in the fall. Complete bs rumor.

Sega may do other methods to gain money back, but they are not giving up yet, when they have so many games that are nearing completion.

[This message has been edited by HoMeBrO (edited January 23, 2001).]
Old 01-23-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
It seems crazy for them to put the broadband adapter out a few weeks ago and then quit. I will be sad if this happens. I do not know what the DC could have done different the games are great the price is right what more can you ask for ?

------------------
Michael
Sega.Net bigdaddymh
Your the man now dawg!
I'm Fresh Like A Can of Picante
The 8th Warrior of the Other Forum

Wow look at all those DVD's
And those are cool CD's
Do not click me.
Old 01-23-01, 07:33 PM

I wouldn't care if they did stop making Dreamcasts tomorrow. The system is a success because of all the great games I have had the chance of playing since September of 99. Anymore games they come out with now just keep proving that the system is is a must own for true gamers.

------------------
Richard
My DVD Profiler List
Old 01-23-01, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
considering that Sega is losing 100's of millions every quarter, I would not be surprised. The only reason that they are still even afloat is that the founder came in and pumped a ton of money into sega to keep them going. The rumor actually started with a statment he made that was supposed to have been taken out of context.
Of course until it happens no one will really know since sega will not want to slow sales by letting people know they are leaving the market. It is not like sega has not done this before to the customers of one their consoles.
Old 01-23-01, 07:54 PM
Banned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/bus...00/1132244.stm
Old 01-23-01, 10:47 PM
Retired

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Feneant:
Software as in pc software, not console which is what they seem to be saying on the site, and the link does work here... dunno.
<HR>

Actually Sega has already released some games on other systems. A Sonic game came out for the Neo Geo Pocket, and some more obscure games have came out on Game Boy Color. It has been hinted in articles in EGM, that older games, i.e. Crazy Taxi, might appear on PS2 or X-box. They have no plans for simultaneous releases. Basically just sell as many as they can for the DC then milk more money out of people who only own the other systems.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 01-23-01, 11:00 PM
Retired

Here's an article on this that was posted on dc.ign.com tonight.

Sega Sinks Console Efforts?

Rumors swirl around troubled console. But is Sega's hardware doom a reality?

January 23, 2001

Rumors have once again surged to the forefront of the Dreamcast newswire: the typically reputable Nihon Keizai Shimbun reports that Sega has concrete plans to cease production of its Dreamcast hardware in March, and will move forward with plans to develop for other hardware platforms, specifically, Sony's PlayStation 2 and Nintendo's GameBoy Advance platforms at the start of fiscal year 2001.
The story goes on to say that Sega will continue to market the Dreamcast console, but will cut off sales as soon as it gets rid of its existing inventory. The Japanese newspaper also indicates that Sega will continue to support the Dreamcast via software in 2001, with some 100 titles expected to hit the console over the course of the year.

Obviously, information like this is cause for some serious concern on the part of Dreamcast owners everywhere, so we got in touch with Sega to see if there was any truth to the report. Vice President of Communications for Sega of America, Inc. Charles Bellfield, denied any truth to the story, stating, "Obviously it's a very slow news day, and people are very bored."

He continued by explaining the source of the story, which has since spread across the 'Net to various game-related publications, as well as respected mainstream news sites like MSNBC, by saying that the whole thing was a complete misunderstanding and is 100% false.

"This is the continued misinterpretation of facts based on an announcement Sega Japan made last October 2000. It was a mistranslation then and it's a mistranslation now. It's rumor building upon rumor and I can honestly confirm on this point that Sega has said nothing about its intention to make PlayStation 2 or any other console games, except for Dreamcast. Dreamcast is a core part of our business. Next week you will see new announcements based on the further technology and improvements on the Dreamcast, which we will continue to support." Bellfield went on to explain that the source publication, Jiji news, apparently pieced together the story after hearing little back from Sega on the rumor, which has been circulating nearly as long as the Dreamcast hardware itself.

He continued, "The press releases from the business announcement we posted last year doesn't include other consoles, but other electronic devices, i.e. digital cameras, phones, etc. I realize that is a very bold announcement, but this current news story is rumor mongering and speculation. Sega will make these new announcements next week."

Just exactly what Sega's exact plans are going forward remains to be seen. Obviously, if Sega has plans to support the Dreamcast through this calendar year, owning up to outside console development this early in the game could be potentially damaging for the company's current interests. Add to this the fact that commenting on any software deals with current hardware publishers could easily hamper any negotiations with other players who plan to enter the market in the near, and you can see why Sega is being careful with its words at this point.

The release Bellfield mentioned above commented on Sega's intent to "take other strategic measures such as utilizing its vast software library of more than 1,000 titles to develop content for other consumer entertainment and mobile devices, making full use of Sega's renowned brand and characters to expand its game software business." The original wording of the document was somewhat vague, and an initial translation may indeed have led many to believe Sega was loosely proclaiming its intention to develop for other hardware platforms.

Sega quickly refuted such rumors, reiterating its continued commitment to Dreamcast, and as was the case last October, Sega has released an official statement today about the latest rumblings saying:

Sega of America stated today that the company globally reaffirms its commitment to Dreamcast. In fact, Sega has more than 100 games worldwide coming out for the platform in the next year. It is not Sega's policy to comment on rumors and the company has not made any statement regarding ceasing manufacturing of Dreamcast or development for other videogame platforms.
What is curious about such a statement, however, is that it does little to address the specific nature of the allegations found in said article. The piece, which also said that Sega would release over 100 Dreamcast titles in 2001, claimed that Sega has as many as five PlayStation 2 titles presently in development, and that in March, Sega plans to stop taking orders for Dreamcast hardware -- neither of which Sega even slightly hinted at in said announcement.

It is interesting to note that earlier rumors linking Acclaim to Sega-developed PS2 titles also listed the number of titles in development at five. It remains to be seen if said titles are, in fact, the same titles mentioned above, or completely different projects.

Also curious is a new hardware package which Bellfield hints at in his quotes above. Could these rumors of halted Dreamcast development have to do with a new hardware configuration? Or is Sega really calling it quits? The picture remains a bit cloudy at present, but we will continue to follow the story, and should have some sort of update next week following Sega's announcement.

Says Bellfield, "In the next week or so, Sega will make some new announcements about the Dreamcast that will help to explain our future strategies. At that point you'll be able to see that Dreamcast technology will incorporate a whole new videogaming experience. Our future is very, very rosy." For the sake of the millions of Dreamcast owners worldwide, we hope you're right, Charles.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 01-23-01, 11:11 PM
Banned

This news better be BS or I'll throw away my Genesis too! Hopefully, Sega wont give up on its supporters for yet another system.
Old 01-23-01, 11:20 PM
Banned

I don't know why anyone is surprised about this. Sega has a long history of giving up on their technology:

Sega Saturn (killed after 1 year)
32X (did that even last 6 months? Also appeared to be a money making scam to get funding for the failed Saturn)
Pico system (basic gaming system for children)
Game Gear (lasted longer than all of the above mentioned, but sega did give up on it while it was still far more advanced than the Gameboy at the time)

Still surprised?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.