Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo is cooking up new hardware (2025?)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-07-24, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Nintendo’s fiscal year means this can be anytime before April 2025, I think. And they’ve only committed to an announcement, not necessarily a release, this fiscal year. I’m hoping for an October-ish reveal, January deep dive, and March release, similar to the Switch, but we’ll see!
Old 05-07-24, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Nintendo is cooking up new hardware (2025?)

As long as all the games I bought on the Switch can transfer over easily!
Having that memory card option really let me go wild buying a ton of games over the years - without it, I wouldn't have bought a fraction as many games!
Old 05-08-24, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 983 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
As long as all the games I bought on the Switch can transfer over easily!
Having that memory card option really let me go wild buying a ton of games over the years - without it, I wouldn't have bought a fraction as many games!
I am extremely curious but also worried about how Nintendo is going to handle this aspect of the Switch 2. There wasn't as big of a deal going from the Wii U to the Switch because of the change of media and honestly the failure of the Wii U to really capture an audience. A lot has happened over the past 9 years and a lot more games, including first party games, for the first time were available on Nintendo Switch so people have a lot more money invested digitally and have an expectation to play those games on the next system. It's just a basic expectation at this time, yet Nintendo has proven time and time again to not be reliable when it comes to digital games and their transfer to their next system. Personally I'm still bitter about them even going so far as to change their digital currency between systems with no available conversion process. Basically, based on their history, I don't really trust Nintendo to handle this part of the system well. Although I would love to be proven wrong otherwise.
Old 05-09-24, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
https://x.com/nintendocoltd/status/1...p8qH5by1YnxmiQ

Nintendo’s fiscal year means this can be anytime before April 2025, I think. And they’ve only committed to an announcement, not necessarily a release, this fiscal year. I’m hoping for an October-ish reveal, January deep dive, and March release, similar to the Switch, but we’ll see!
That's my thinking as well. I was hoping for a November 2024 release, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (05-09-24)
Old 05-10-24, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

At this point I assume they've been saving Metroid Prime 4 for a launch title, right?
tanman (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,399 Likes on 4,381 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
At this point I assume they've been saving Metroid Prime 4 for a launch title, right?
I imagine it will be on both the new system and the previous gen console - the Switch, like Breath of the Wild was.
Adam Tyner (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I imagine it will be on both the new system and the previous gen console - the Switch, like Breath of the Wild was.
Yeah, that’s what I’m expecting as well.

It’ll definitely — or as “definitely” as these things get, anyway — come out on the OG Switch. I don’t think Nintendo has ever announced a title for one console and not delivered, even if it came out on the successor too.

Next month’s Direct could be telling about timing. I’m weirdly not expecting it to be a launch title, though I could still see that happening. Based on absolutely nothing, my guess is a release before the new system (like, this holiday) or shortly after (the fabled launch window) but not day one.