Reload this Page >

Do the TopSpin Games go on sale?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-04-24, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm really interested in the Top Spin 2k25 Grand Slam Edition. I don't want to try it out and then ask for a refund from Steam if I don't like it because if I do like it I'm stuck at $120. I know Lego 2K Drive went down in price a couple of months after, do their sport games do the same thing? I know it's online only, if I buy six months after do they shut it down when the next iteration comes or the server will be up for a while?

Also I haven't found 2k23 or 2k24 to buy anywhere, you can only get the current one? Speaking of that, I can't find any info of those, is top spin 4 in 2012 the previous iteration and it's been that long?
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (05-06-24)
Old 05-04-24, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,399 Likes on 4,381 Posts
Re: Do the TopSpin Games go on sale?

Correct. This is the first Top Spin 2K game. I bet it will go on sale in several months.
Old 05-04-24, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 570 Likes on 419 Posts

99% of non-Nintendo videogames go on sale at some point within their first 6 months.
Old 05-04-24, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

I believe 2k already said something about the servers only being guaranteed to be up for like 2 years I think. So yeah, basically once the new game comes out (which they are probably planning a 2 year cycle) the servers for this one are probably toast.
The game is hella fun though fwiw.
Old 05-04-24, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully I can snag it in the Steam June sale as the December one will be too far down, June would still give plenty of play time. I was burned by Lego 2K Drive and I'm wary of 2K as a company, don't really like them.
Old 05-06-24, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 415 Likes on 311 Posts

2K is a great developer. They make some really memorable games like Bioshock and Borderlands.
Old 05-06-24, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
2K is a great developer. They make some really memorable games like Bioshock and Borderlands.
I don't hate their games, I hate the company.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I believe 2k already said something about the servers only being guaranteed to be up for like 2 years I think. So yeah, basically once the new game comes out (which they are probably planning a 2 year cycle) the servers for this one are probably toast.
The game is hella fun though fwiw.
So in two years it'll be dirt cheap!

Seriously though, sports games drop like a rock usually, especially when the next one is about to come out. And I don't know much about Top Spin but if you only want to play offline (and if the mode you want to play is not tied to online like NBA 2k is) you can probably wait a bit and not care about the servers.
Old 05-06-24, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
So in two years it'll be dirt cheap!

Seriously though, sports games drop like a rock usually, especially when the next one is about to come out. And I don't know much about Top Spin but if you only want to play offline (and if the mode you want to play is not tied to online like NBA 2k is) you can probably wait a bit and not care about the servers.
Wait, what, I can play most of the game offline, all career mode, etc??? I thought you had to be online for everything. I have no interest in online matches.

From Reddit:

Confirmed: Career mode unavailable offline

This one surprises me. I thought career mode would require an initial online activation, but it actually requires a constant connection.

Redditor u/Brodiii, who has an early physical copy, tried playing career mode without an internet connection and it was impossible. Only Exhibition and TopSpin Academy were playable offline.

This won’t be a problem now, but hopefully career mode is made possible offline whenever the 2K servers are turned off in the future. I still play TS4 career mode to this day.
I'm going to assume they won't let it work offline when the servers drop.
Old 05-06-24, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah if you're playing career mode, which I assume is like myplayer, it's only online because otherwise how would they make you walk needlessly through a city to get to other game modes and make you watch all their advertisements? (at least it's this way in NBA).

If you only want to play one off matches or whatever that probably works (unless 2k is just insane)
Old 05-06-24, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty much only exhibition mode and the tutorial work offline. 2k is moving into the video game rental business. And 120 bucks is too steep for 2 years for me where I don't even know if I'll like it. Lego 2k drive burned me bad.
Old 05-06-24, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, I missed that initially, 120 bucks? What the heck do you get for 120 bucks (I'm assuming you don't play the card game or whatever is equivalent in Top Spin?)

Just wait, it'll be much cheaper even a few months down the line, even if that means you only get a year and half out of it.
Old 05-06-24, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, I missed that initially, 120 bucks? What the heck do you get for 120 bucks (I'm assuming you don't play the card game or whatever is equivalent in Top Spin?)

Just wait, it'll be much cheaper even a few months down the line, even if that means you only get a year and half out of it.
You get all the different courts and stuff. It's not just cosmetics, it's extra content.
Old 05-06-24, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Like I have no idea what most of this means but it seems like mostly cosmetics:
Compete on the world’s biggest stages with the TopSpin 2K25 Grand Slam Edition! Get the Grand Slam Champions Pack, plus the Under the Lights Pack, New Wave Pack, Rookie Rise Pack, and the All Access Pass. The Grand Slam Edition includes: Grand Slam Champions Pack, featuring a cosmetic Championship Racket and a Champion Serve. Under the Lights Pack featuring Serena Williams and Roger Federer Alternate Outfits, Wilson Nightfall Bundle, and Night-Time Majors. New Wave Pack containing Carlos Alcaraz, Iga Swiatek, and Frances Tiafoe Alternate Outfits, New Wave Glasses, New Wave Top, New Wave Bottoms, New Wave Shoes, and New Wave Wrist Bands. Rookie Rise Pack containing one MyPLAYER Boost to Level 10 and 1,700 VC. All Access Pass, including six Centre Court Season Passes, plus French Open, Wimbledon, US Open, and Australian Open T-Shirts.
Even the courts, aren't they cosmetic?

Also reading the reviews, man this game seems terrible as far as what you get. Reading those I think you'd be better off waiting for them to refine this (but who knows maybe they'll have the gall to charge 150 next year).
Old 05-06-24, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know nothing about tennis or sports games. So everything in the grand slam is cosmetic and all characters and modes are available in the lowest version?
Old 05-06-24, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can still just buy the game itself for $70, that's just the ultimate edition basically.
Old 05-06-24, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
You can still just buy the game itself for $70, that's just the ultimate edition basically.
The base game is 60 and the mid tier 99.
Old 05-06-24, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, I'm going to say definitely don't spend 120 bucks if you don't know what the DLC is and/or aren't super excited about it.

In fact if you're not a big tennis fan and won't be playing online I'd say just wait unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Either this game tanks or they make this a yearly iteration. Either scenario means this thing is going to be massively discounted sometime in the near future.
Old 05-06-24, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd bite at $30 for the standard. I think I'm gonna head to the TopSpin Reddit and see if the mid and top tier add any modes besides cosmetics. And honestly for $30 I can play the exhibition mode forever which is just the tour without rankings.
Old 05-06-24, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not going to be a yearly release. I'm guessing every 2 years like their PGA game.
Old 05-06-24, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reddit came through, game modes are the same so I'll be picking up the standard hopefully in June in the steam summer sale, it'd be sweet to grab it at 30 bucks. The different editions add battle passes with paid cosmetics, courts, winning animations, etc.
Old 05-06-24, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Reddit came through, game modes are the same so I'll be picking up the standard hopefully in June in the steam summer sale, it'd be sweet to grab it at 30 bucks. The different editions add battle passes with paid cosmetics, courts, winning animations, etc.
I might do the same.
Old 05-06-24, 05:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts

I picked this up. I used to play tennis in hs and college and I never had a tennis videogame in my life. Looking forward to firing it up one day.
Old 05-07-24, 05:06 AM
Cool New Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2K Sports stuff tends to get cheaper after a while, but it's kinda unpredictable. The online servers usually hang around for a bit after a new version drops, but who knows for sure? And yeah, it seems like you can only snag the latest Top Spin game these days
Old 05-09-24, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

I hear it's a grind building up your player for competition. People build up their backhand, forehand, and power, repeatedly hitting to the corners. Supposedly Sinner is the next player who will be added to the roster.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.