Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else is a once and done with video games?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone else is a once and done with video games?

Old 09-19-23, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Anyone else is a once and done with video games?

Story-based games? Usually one and done. Exceptions are if there are some mutually exclusive achievements that require replaying part or all of the game again. Or if a game didn't have achievements before then added them later I'll give the game another go.
Old 09-19-23, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I rarely replay a story based game.
I've played through and restarted a couple Borderlands games to try different characters, and I have played Final Fantasy Tactics a couple times.
After I play through a game for 20, 40, 60 hours or more, I'm ready for something else, or at least its sequel or prequel.
I have restarted games, either because it's been forever since I played, or I screwed something up and want to change my approach.

Old 09-20-23, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 423 Likes on 334 Posts

I've never played thru a single player campaign a second time... also, I don't think I've played a game after I've completed the main campaign just to "finish up" any collectibles or missed side missions.

Having recently played the latest Saints Row, I was shocked that I wrapped up the main campaign at 43% complete and could have still done a TON of side missions and territory take-overs. I don't get that decision by the devs at all.
Old 09-20-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Having recently played the latest Saints Row, I was shocked that I wrapped up the main campaign at 43% complete and could have still done a TON of side missions and territory take-overs. I don't get that decision by the devs at all.
Honestly, I think that approach is the way to go. If someone wants to mainline a campaign, let ‘em. If they want to explore every nook and cranny and engage with literally everything there is to do, let ‘em. I don’t think anyone really benefits by being “forced” to do more than they’d like, especially in a big open world game.

I’m kind of all over the place with that myself. I did 100% Saints Row, Just Cause 3/4, the last few Far Cry games, Assassins Creed: Origins, and AC: Odyssey, to name a few, but I was satisfied leaving side missions incomplete in AC: Valhalla, and 100%-ing Cyberpunk didn’t sound all that fun to me. I’ll generally do all the side missions but won’t necessarily hunt down all the collectibles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
Dan (09-20-23), Obi-Wanma (09-20-23)
Old 09-20-23, 01:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,251 Likes on 888 Posts

Yeah, particularly for open world games, I tend to mainline the main quest and then, only if I’m super into the game, I’ll tackle the optional stuff. Starfield was a bit of an exception, because I took it slow from the start, but generally I just want to see what the main story is all about.
In games like Fallout New Vegas, the side quests are more fulfilling than the main one.

as for the original question, I rarely replay story based games unless I have a compelling reason to do so, like having a sequel releasing soon or something.

Last edited by Dan; 09-20-23 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-20-23, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
I rarely replay a story based game.
I've played through and restarted a couple Borderlands games to try different characters, and I have played Final Fantasy Tactics a couple times.
After I play through a game for 20, 40, 60 hours or more, I'm ready for something else, or at least its sequel or prequel.
I have restarted games, either because it's been forever since I played, or I screwed something up and want to change my approach.
I'm learning who I am as a gamer this year, likes, dislikes, etc. I played BG3 and Starfield quick to the end (which still took a considerable amount of hours) with the belief I'd do a second playthrough (and a third and a fourth and a fifth) only to find out I was satisfied with the end and oh look another game is coming out. I think next time I'll just plan on one playthrough and play around a bit.
Old 09-21-23, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 423 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Honestly, I think that approach is the way to go. If someone wants to mainline a campaign, let ‘em. If they want to explore every nook and cranny and engage with literally everything there is to do, let ‘em. I don’t think anyone really benefits by being “forced” to do more than they’d like, especially in a big open world game.

I’m kind of all over the place with that myself. I did 100% Saints Row, Just Cause 3/4, the last few Far Cry games, Assassins Creed: Origins, and AC: Odyssey, to name a few, but I was satisfied leaving side missions incomplete in AC: Valhalla, and 100%-ing Cyberpunk didn’t sound all that fun to me. I’ll generally do all the side missions but won’t necessarily hunt down all the collectibles.
I feel like having to complete more % of the map would be the right way to allow the story to progress. I certainly don't want to hunt down collectibles -- but 43% and done? I probably could have been in the 30% range if I had known.
Old 09-22-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 237 Posts

I have never replayed a video game...unless it is an arcade game like Pacman.
Old 09-27-23, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 432 Likes on 322 Posts

I think the replay value for me is kind of meh when you beat the game and then the game is like "We have a save right before you attempted the final boss!"

To me that just feels dumb. It's like I just saved the world, and now I'm gonna pretend like nothing happened so I can do side quests or get collectibles? I want to roam the land after I saved it. See what everyone says and how they react. Or at the very least have a different main boss. Make his name change, or more powerful or drops different loot, whatever.
Old 09-27-23, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

I use to be that way but defintiely not anymore. Even the most recent Call of Duty single player campaign is worth playing multiple times.

I've gone back to a bunch of my old games, granted I don't play them through all the way but some I do. Even if you don't plan on playing all the way through a second time, it's so worth playing again for nostalgia and fun. New game + mode helps bring me back as well.
Old 09-28-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I think the replay value for me is kind of meh when you beat the game and then the game is like "We have a save right before you attempted the final boss!"

To me that just feels dumb. It's like I just saved the world, and now I'm gonna pretend like nothing happened so I can do side quests or get collectibles?
I was playing one of the medieval rpg games, maybe Dragon's Dogma. I accidentally started up the final battle scenarios, and the game ends after. There was a bunch of stuff I wanted to do prior to the main ending, and I didn't have a save to go back to. Most of the time I like to go around after and do side missions and whatnot, but that frustrated me enough that I just stopped playing.
Old 09-29-23, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts

Mostly, it depends on the game. I like revisiting certain games. Others, no matter how good just wouldn't be the same during a second playthrough. Life is Strange is my best example (or Until Dawn). I played those games and the choices I made determined my story outcome. Going back to it would just break the immersion and it'd just be trophy hunting at that point which ruins the experience. I tried a second playthrough of Hellblade earlier this year (to nab one last trophy I missed the first time through) and I just couldn't do it. After a couple of levels I bailed.

Other games like Tomb Raider, Halo or even Mario beg to be experienced more than once.