Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Mario Bros. Wonder (10/20/23: Nintendo Switch)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Super Mario Bros. Wonder (10/20/23: Nintendo Switch)

Old 10-27-23, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 539 Likes on 393 Posts
Re: Super Mario Bros. Wonder (10/20/23: Nintendo Switch)

Ok knocked out all the collectibles, secret exits, flags on all the regular levels now on to the Special World.
Old 10-28-23, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I finished getting 100% on this tonight. My feelings overall:

This game has a ton of great style. The colors, the sounds, the characters, etc. I don't think I'd want to see them on every game, but I liked the flower voices.

I thought the level design for the normal levels was just so-so for most of the game, with the exception of the Bowser levels near the end, which I liked a lot, and the airship levels, which were a nice throwback.

The Bowser fight might have been the best in any Mario game. The Bowser Jr boss fights were too plain

A couple tips for the final final extra level:
Spoiler:

For the spring section:

Spoiler:
The hardest part is the last group of four rotating fireballs. Bring an item in storage into the level with you. When you get to those last four rotating fireball parts, use your stored item. If/when you get hit, you can get through the others using invincibility frames.

For the invisibility section:

Spoiler:
Prior to getting there, move your character to where the screen barely starts scrolling right. Tape a thin vertical line on your screen where your character is. Use that line in the invisibility section to always know where you are (horizontally at least)

The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (11-01-23)
Old 10-28-23, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts

Does this game come with more than one game save? I would like to buy it and be able for my kiddo to have her own game and I have my own.
Old 10-28-23, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Does this game come with more than one game save? I would like to buy it and be able for my kiddo to have her own game and I have my own.
Yes
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (10-28-23)
Old 10-28-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Yes
Thanks!
Old 10-28-23, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 539 Likes on 393 Posts

Finished everything other than the final badge marathon. Already used over 100 lives on it. Definitely seems manageable for me though just got to keep practicing. Once you get the rhythm down for each badge part it ends up being quite a bit easier when you inevitably have to replay them everytime you die. I just started the final invisibility part and I'm getting fairly near the end.
Old 10-28-23, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,002 Likes on 795 Posts

So, as far as I can tell, Bowser just wanted to take over to
Spoiler:
make a rock Opera.
I can kind of get behind that
Old 02-04-24, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

I have to say, I was originally pretty skeptical of this game. Some reviewers (who probably weren't even born when Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World came out) were comparing it to those games. That generation doesn't get it. They may play them on emulators and what-not but they don't understand how incredible those games were for their time. So a lot of them compared those two games to this one. Is it as good as those? F**k no. Is it a blast to play? Hell yeah. I skipped a bunch of Mario games but the last one I played was the Switch Mario Odyssey game, which was a blast. It was fun. But it was (for the most part, 3D). This one does go back to the 2D Mario roots and I have to say that its really, really fun. And I was on the fence about buying it, mainly because I heard the difficulty level was nil, but I figured what the hell. I bought it, and am only a few levels in, but I'm not only having a blast, but I'm pretty sure I'll be replaying this from time to time. It's not like other Nintendo games I've bought and then sold as soon as I beat them. This is a keeper. It's definitely on the easy side, and I don't even understand the badge system yet, but it's loads of fun, and it definitely brings back memories of Super Mario World. I even thought the elephant thing would be a gimmick but it's actually quite fun. I just can't tell you how much of a smile this put on my face playing it. I have to wake up in the morning so I needed to shut it off but it took a ton of strength to do so. It's just a really fun game.

Do I think it should've been $80 CA? No. I think Nintendo would be surprised at how many more units they would've sold had it been more like $60 CA, and given the awfulness and lack of features in previous Nintendo games like *cough*cough* Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Soccer, maybe they would've realized that. But they don't. For once, however, I'm fine with paying that price for this game. I shouldn't have had to pay the same price for those sports games (all of which had better versions on the GameCube), but oh well.

If you're on the fence about buying this game, I wish they'd release a demo version. It's loads of fun. Plays like an amped up version of Super Mario World. I'm not sure about how much depth it has, as I really only got to the second level (?) world (?), whatever. But it's fun. In fact, I might try and squeeze in another level now even though I really should go to bed...