Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you do if you buy a game and you end up hating it?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Assume no refunds on that specific game. How many hours do you put on it before you bail?

I spent 120 bucks on Lego 2k racing. I hate it. I don't enjoy playing it. I've spent a little over 2 hours on it so far. You have to get really good at the game mechanics to win. Disney Speedstorm gives you some crumbs just for showing up and I immensely enjoy my DSS time.

But the money. Since it's an mtx game there are no trial periods and no refunds. I have a hard time just throwing 120 bucks away.
Old 05-17-23, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Re: What do you do if you buy a game and you end up hating it?

Are you the only gamer in your house?

If so, I'd probably suck it up and try to get good at it. Sometimes games that are difficult to get the hang of pay off once you do get it.
Old 05-17-23, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
Are you the only gamer in your house?

If so, I'd probably suck it up and try to get good at it. Sometimes games that are difficult to get the hang of pay off once you do get it.
I am. I won't ever get good at it, I've spent over 30 hours on DSS and I suck just the same as day one. I just don't have the eye hand coordination, I never have.
Old 05-18-23, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Maybe using all the cheats and easy wins over the years has watered down your skills? I’d say sell it but I’m assuming it’s digital.

Git gud or chalk it up as a loss
Old 05-18-23, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts

This is a game designed for the whole family. I've read several reviews and while there may be a lot of grinding required to get almost anything cool in the shop, none say this is a difficult racer. This doesn't look to be Gran Turismo here. I ended up getting it. I'll let you know what I think.
Old 05-18-23, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'm not supposed to be getting or accomplishing anything and just drive around and I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing it without realizing it I don't even want what's in the shop, I want to progress through it.
Old 05-18-23, 08:13 AM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Your conundrum is exactly why I buy so few games, especially when they first come out. I'm usually quite fine waiting for the "hits" version or Black Friday or PS+ or whatever. I got burned by too many bad Nintendo games as a kid without recourse. Wish you had your hard-earned $50 and all the hours you did chores to save it up back instead of your terrible copy of LJN Back to the Future?! Sorry, kid, we don't do returns.

I don't think there's any way to get money back on a video game other than to seel it for pennies on the dollar.

And if you don't enjoy it, don't play it anyway. I dont get that advice. Seems like a waste of time.
Old 05-18-23, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

One of the reasons I respect Steam. They give you a couple hours of playtime to decide if you want to keep it. I had to refund the newest CoD due to motion sickness after I had put in about 4 hours of playtime. Got a full refund within minutes of putting in the request.
Old 05-18-23, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
One of the reasons I respect Steam. They give you a couple hours of playtime to decide if you want to keep it. I had to refund the newest CoD due to motion sickness after I had put in about 4 hours of playtime. Got a full refund within minutes of putting in the request.
I bought it in Steam. Games that come with tiers with extra stuff per tier have no refunds (and let you know beforehand).
Old 05-18-23, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe that's one thing you can take away from this. If you're not 100%, buy the base version just in case. If you love it, upgrade later.
Old 05-18-23, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Don't waste hours of your life on something that isn't fun. I know it's sucks having wasted the money, but it's still not worth wasting your time on something you don't enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxflier:
Music (05-18-23), story (05-18-23)
Old 05-18-23, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe that's one thing you can take away from this. If you're not 100%, buy the base version just in case. If you love it, upgrade later.
Catch-22, they gave you extra stuff only if you bought before release and you only got to play early if you bought the top tier. The release date is not actually until tomorrow.
Old 05-18-23, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Catch-22, they gave you extra stuff only if you bought before release and you only got to play early if you bought the top tier. The release date is not actually until tomorrow.
Still...if you're not 100% all in on the game, why care about pre-order bonuses? FOMO that big for you?
Old 05-18-23, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still...if you're not 100% all in on the game, why care about pre-order bonuses? FOMO that big for you?
I WAS 100% into the game! I was enjoying Disney Speedstorm so much and I watched tons of L2KD videos and the pyshics looked EXACTLY the same (LIE) and all the videos and reviews made it sound like DSS different skin. I didn't realize they would be completely different games. Both are licensed kart games where you grind for stuff. And I am enjoying the heck out of DSS and I suck at it! I'm having a blast sucking!!
Old 05-18-23, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's not how I meant it but OK. To me, being 100% into a game means either it's an existing property and you loved previous versions or it had a playable demo which won you over. This game is neither of those. I would never pay double retail for an "ultimate" edition of a game I haven't at least played a demo for. To me, that's a silly gamble of money.
Old 05-18-23, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's just a HARD game and I was expecting some crumbs from Lego like Disney is doing. If you suck but play DSS daily for years you build up quite a collection you just won't be winning multiplayer or have the best skins and accessories. I'm fine with that. I just want a sense of progression.
Old 05-18-23, 09:13 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Your conundrum is exactly why I buy so few games, especially when they first come out. I'm usually quite fine waiting for the "hits" version or Black Friday or PS+ or whatever.
Same here.

Diablo IV will be the first game I've bought at release since GoW: Ragnarok.
Old 05-18-23, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This forum has gotten me into a frenzy it gives you the impression a lot of people buy releases at launch. I've only done that for 3 games, Diablo 4, dss, and Lego 2kd. Everything else even if I like it I wait for discounts. And I mean like Dead Island definitive for eight bucks and dying light definite for six bucks kinda discounts. I never buy on release or even full price. I do buy games with mtx but don't participate in them after the initial outlay of money.
Old 05-18-23, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

I stop playing it and move on. There are too many games out there for me to force myself to keep playing something I'm not enjoying.
The following users liked this post:
story (05-18-23)
Old 05-18-23, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm interested in Decker's impressions as he's far more the average gamer than I am.
Old 05-18-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Is Lego Speedstorm really a hard game? I'd figure they'd tone it down for kids (or at least have Mario Kart like options to help out)

edited to add: I meant Lego 2k Drive

Last edited by fujishig; 05-18-23 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-18-23, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is Lego Speedstorm really a hard game? I'd figure they'd tone it down for kids (or at least have Mario Kart like options to help out)
Two different games. Disney Speedstorm has steer assist and auto accelerate. It has levels so even if you suck show up for 10-30 minutes a day and get something and over time you'll build up without having to be good.

Lego 2k Drive doesn't have auto accelerate or steer assist. The drifting and turning also is veeeeeery different than DSS. I'm finding it you have to be good to get pretty much anything or progress. I keep failing and failing and failing. And in DSS there's things you can do daily, daily missions, without having to go forward in a story and still get stuff so you do progress in a sense. I thought both would be tailored to young kids and adults alike and be easy for everyone and then people could up the difficulty for better rewards if they wanted to.
Old 05-18-23, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney offers that because it's a free to play game. Only F2P games offer those daily rewards. The idea is to get to you buy the upgrades rather than wait X amount of days to get it. Lego is a full release game. It won't have those Gacha tactics in it.
Old 05-18-23, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I'll give up on a game I'm not enjoying even if I've spent on it. I've purchased regular Forza games and didn't really like the driving mechanics, but love the Forza Horizon games. My car has a manual transmission in real life, but in a video game I just want fast car go vroom. I don't need it to be perfectly realistic.
Old 05-18-23, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just did a MP race and I got third So if I'm not absolutely sucktastic, why is the story mode so hard?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.