DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   ASUS ROG Ally Discussion Thread. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/657734-asus-rog-ally-discussion-thread.html)

GatorDeb 05-12-23 07:41 PM

ASUS ROG Ally Discussion Thread.

Since I'm getting Diablo IV and Lego 2k Drive for the pc (Lego 2K Drive doesn't have cross-progression like Disney Speedstorm does) decided to bite the bullet and get an Asus. Just placed the pre-order. Going to be great having those two games on the go and I can also use it for Speedstorm. I prefer the PC for playing but like the flexibility of having it on the go. Comes out June 13th.

lwhy? 05-12-23 08:03 PM

Re: ASUS ROG Ally Discussion Thread.

My gaming PC cost less than the highest priced one. I don't game on the go much, but I can understand the need and want for these.

RocShemp 05-13-23 06:43 AM

I am intrigued about this Steam Deck competitor (especially how you can dock it to a 4090 for extra graphical performance at home) but I'll wait for reviews and user experiences (the latter due to Asus' recent end user woes).

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 14272183)
My gaming PC cost less than the highest priced one. I don't game on the go much, but I can understand the need and want for these.

Your gaming rig cost under $700.

lwhy? 05-13-23 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 14272310)
I am intrigued about this Steam Deck competitor (especially how you can dock it to a 4090 for extra graphical performance at home) but I'll wait for reviews and user experiences (the latter due to Asus' recent end user woes).

Your gaming rig cost under $700.

Yeah it did. My Lenovo Legion cost 656.59 before taxes. A couple of people on this forum helped me find a really good deal on it.

RocShemp 05-13-23 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 14272348)
Yeah it did. My Lenovo Legion cost 656.59 before taxes. A couple of people on this forum helped me find a really good deal on it.

That's pretty awesome.

lwhy? 05-13-23 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 14272403)
That's pretty awesome.

​​​​​​

It’s not insanely powerful, but it plays the games that I want to play.

RocShemp 05-13-23 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 14272413)
​​​​​​

It’s not insanely powerful, but it plays the games that I want to play.

In the end, that's all that really matters.

GatorDeb 05-14-23 12:32 PM

He pronounces it Ah-soos... I always pronounced it Ay-suss.

tanman 05-14-23 11:15 PM

It's actually Ass-Us.

tanman 05-14-23 11:59 PM

I like his channel. He usually tells it like it is.

Curious why you're looking at the Asus vs the Steamdeck?

tanman 05-15-23 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 14272310)

That is a really cool feature but it costs $1500. I feel like that's the case with a lot of these "features" in a lot of different tech. Yeah theoretically it's really cool but it's also usually extremely cost prohibitive, or just never comes to fruition.

GatorDeb 05-15-23 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 14272873)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crSfiGBPGeo

I like his channel. He usually tells it like it is.

Curious why you're looking at the Asus vs the Steamdeck?

Power. Everyone is comparing prerelease ally to year 2 steam deck. This will be able to do more. And it's 50 bucks more. I wanted a portable pc gaming machine so I may as well go for the technically better machine.

tanman 05-15-23 05:29 AM

Yeah but. Even though he says it's okay, I would pick the steamdeck over the Asus based on that Dpad alone. I absolutely hated the old circular XBox Dpad.

GatorDeb 05-15-23 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 14272908)
Yeah but. Even though he says it's okay, I would pick the steamdeck over the Asus based on that Dpad alone. I absolutely hated the old circular XBox Dpad.

I prefer circular dpads to just 4 sticks :lol:

I also have very small hands so when it comes to controls the more people complain about them (other than things like stick drifting) the more I know they will work for me.

RichC2 05-15-23 12:55 PM

Eh, I already have a Steamdeck that I've put way too much time into customizing. I think I'll stick with them until the next gen is available. But props to Asus for getting in the budget PC handheld field.

GatorDeb 05-15-23 01:06 PM

Oh if I had one I definitely wouldn't switch, but for me it makes no sense to get the top tier Deck while the Asus is two weeks away.

RichC2 05-15-23 01:08 PM

That's fair, I got the lowest tier Deck and swapped out the HDD ... which wound up not being necessary due to how well it ran off MicroSDs.

GatorDeb 05-15-23 01:15 PM

I'm excited to play Speedstorm, Lego 2K Drive, and Diablo IV on the TV.

GatorDeb 06-09-23 02:48 PM

Shipping today, arriving Tuesday! :banana:

It's great to never double dip again pc and switch. And I can play the games on the TV now also. Buy once, play anywhere. And now I have portable cheats. This fully supports my cheating platform. The case already got here and the screen protector already shipped, here Tuesday.
​​​​​

GatorDeb 06-12-23 03:33 PM

It's heeeeere!

Yes it's a pain to set up and learn how to use but I was expecting growing pains. Got my cheat program up and running and now I'm just waiting for a game to download to use it. Lego 2k drive and speedstorm also downloading. The screen is gorgeous.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...312bca63db.jpg

Lego 2k Drive still downloading :lol: also downloading battle net.

GatorDeb 06-15-23 11:58 PM

I love this thing. Starting to find my way around. Downloaded a bunch of games from different stores and have been trying them out. I did finally start playing Lego 2k Drive on it. Problem is there's so many button combinations to get you anywhere quick and optimizations it's a steep curve at the beginning but once you get the hang of it it's a powerhouse. I've run into the issue that my generic cables connected to a wall USB aren't powerful enough so I have to use the included charger. I plan to buy two more for the other two rooms I frequent at home. One of them with the hdmi out. I only game an hour at a time so battery life hasn't been an issue. Definitely happy with the purchase. I got the official case and an Amazon screen protector that didn't cover the whole screen so I'm returning it. Also got an upsie warranty for 1.99 a month and 50 deductible including drips and spills up to 2 repairs a year.

Goldberg74 06-19-23 09:33 AM

Here’s a Forbes > Innovation > Consumer Tech article that was published this morning:

Buying The New Asus ROG Ally? Hold Up, Read This First

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgr...ad-this-first/
Nothing really new that hasn’t been discussed here already, just a reiteration of its pros and cons.

I’m not a hardcore PC gamer, so I have no interest in a handheld PC system, but it’s interesting to see this category grow.

GatorDeb 06-19-23 10:07 AM

It definitely has growing pains which I knew going in. It's new tech, never go into new tech if you want a smooth experience.

The Switch with my phone's hotspot never gives me any issues. With the ROG Ally, sometimes it connects, sometimes it doensn't. I haven't had time but I'll tinker and investigate. I went ahead and got a game that doesn't need internet for those times. Another user on Reddit has had the same experience, also with Tmobile which is my carrier. It's unlimited 3G hotspot. I never have any internet issues at home.

The learning curve is higher but once you get around and learn the buttons and atmosphere, it's intuitive. I never game more than an hour at a time so that's no biggie for me. I use it when I'm waiting to pick up the kids from school, about half an hour.

There's A LOT of flash updates going on and it's annoying because it really needs to be plugged in, won't do it on battery, and now I'm out and about and needs an update and I can't use it until I get home. But now an hour before leaving I check for updates and do them so that I'm set.

I'm highly satisfied with it. I'm not a console gamer (other than the Switch), I'm a PC gamer.

Decker 06-19-23 10:44 AM

That sounds like something that wouldn't work well for me. I might be more inclined to get a Steam Deck if its more intuitive and user-friendly. But the truth is for me I rarely game on-the-go, even with my Switch. And I am set on the home console front.
I would love to be able to play those cheap PC games (my home computer can't handle it), but it's a low priority for me.

How are the buttons and triggers? Compared to the Switch?

GatorDeb 06-19-23 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14286806)

How are the buttons and triggers? Compared to the Switch?

I play speedstorm a lot better than with the switch which is unusable, I used to just do the easy objectives for DSS on the switch and then switch over to the pc. With this I can do the hard objectives too, now the only thing I save for the pc are the hard objectives with limited tries. Way better than switch, not as good as a 20 dollar pc gamepad.