Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney Speedstorm (Free-to-play, all platforms, 9/28/2023)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Disney Speedstorm (Free-to-play, all platforms, 9/28/2023)

Old 11-03-23, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Disney Speedstorm (Free-to-play, all platforms, 9/28/2023)

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Thatís a lot of cheddar for Mickey Mouse.
What's crazy is that a week in Disneyland for one may run the same
Old 11-04-23, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Somebody just paid $150-$200 for one character I'll have that character at 3 stars level 35 for free in a week.
Old 11-10-23, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Somebody just paid $150-$200 for one character I'll have that character at 3 stars level 35 for free in a week.
The game can be grindy, but I never had the urge to throw a lot of money at it.
Old 11-13-23, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 837 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
So I ended spending $560 on this game. I knew once out of early release the cost would be astronomical. I only use tokens to get star up packs and have enough tokens to last me until 12/31/2024 at 10 character star up packs a season and six week seasons. Most seasons will have six or seven characters and most will last 7 or 8 weeks, they just said it won't be less than six weeks, so it's actually gonna last me a whole lot longer (yes December of NEXT year). A star up pack is 20 shards for 12 bucks street price (1200 tokens) and because I bought early and on sale my cost is $2.50. I have 36 golden season passes (we're on the fourth season so I have 32 left) so even when I run out of tokens I have almost 3 more years of golden passes.
​​
I already got the equivalent of 10 $60 games at 30 hours each. I got my money's worth.

So you have shards to up stats and materials to up levels and they're selling all of it. But the costs are astronomical and completely insane.

This is an example of shop prices. Because you're buying tokens with cash it's easy to spend without thinking of it as cash and it's not like one token is one dollar so it's easy to think of tokens as play money. Gameloft is very predatory.

$39.90 for 4 monsters Inc characters.

Eleven bucks for figment.

$9.90 for 5 Gaston shards (takes 10 to unlock)

Boxes you can spin for five dollars a pop. High chance of getting common items one percent chance of getting rare items (and then you need like 5 rate items to actually go up a level).

​​Before f2p, mid-season racers were guaranteed if you raced. EVERYONE got at least 10 shards (all characters are ten shards to unlock) for racing once and coming in last. Top percentage tier got 35 shards. They ran that twice. Max 70 shards. And two upgrade materials events. After f2p only top 25 percent get enough shards to unlock. Top tier gets 25 shards. And that's max, only one event. And only one parts event. But they let you the character for 20 bucks outright and another 12 bucks for another star and then $9.90 for each additional 5 shards.

Before f2p it had 2 upgrade events for mid season racers that topped out at level 25 needed (and gave enough shards through the 70 and ranked to get to level 35 easy or even 40). After f2p there's only one event that tops out at level 35. But top tier only gets enough to level up to level 25. So you pretty much have to pay to do the event (I do the star up pack and grind ranked and get the top tier of shards so I get to 35). It makes no sense to do a racer event that tops out at 2t and an upgrade event that tops out at level 35 needed.

They have sale prices on boxes which is illegal because they've never set regular prices. Like they're actually breaking the law.

And you can buy upgrade parts too. Like Aladdin it says Upgrade parts 26 to 30 $6.20. But that's $6.20 each level 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30 so I think it's misleading.

Old players are foaming at the mouth at the greed.

When it went f2p we had this bunch of materials saved up. Without telling everybody they changed the materials completely and converted our materials (that we in essence paid for) for lowers material. There was such an outroar they gave us more equivalent materials and I ended up whole. People who spent all their materials still got the equivalent materials so they made out like bandits which pissed off people who saved them. I'm just glad I came out even.

That's just some of it.

The play and the grind is fantastic though.

​​​​

​​​​​​
Different strokes for different folks but $560 for one game is just totally insane. I don't care how many hours you're getting out of it. I've spent hundreds of hours in games that I only had to pay once for. And this is exactly the problem with gaming today. So much of gaming is heading towards microtransactions and this breakdown is exactly why it has to be fought. Of course course game developers and IP holders are pushing towards this pay model. It's so lucrative it's absolutely ridiculous. But it so obviously preys on people, especially young people, where they can't even see how much they are spending on something like this.

Again different strokes for different folks. But I don't see how you can spend $560 and say that the grind is fantastic. If you're spending that much there shouldn't be any grinding and you should have the full roster open to you right away. When is grinding fantastic in any game? IMO grinding is a creatively bankrupt way on artificially increasing a game's play time.
The following 2 users liked this post by tanman:
Decker (11-13-23), nickdawgy (11-13-23)
Old 11-14-23, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's grindy for me because that layout will last me 20 months. I only spend tokens on one specific item in the shop once per character. That will last me through at least the end of 2024. If I bought everything at once it's last me less. I do have every character released so far. But I haven't bought any of them. It's 30 bucks for one character. At the lowest level.
Old 11-14-23, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 348 Likes on 258 Posts

It’s still crazy.
Old 11-14-23, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

P2G (pay to grind) is the future!
Old 11-14-23, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 782 Likes on 576 Posts

That much for a disney kart racing game seems insane but I'm also someone who's been subbed to a MMO for 10+ years with no break. I'm in no position to judge in this area.
Old 11-14-23, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,770 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I mean if you're an adult and don't suffer some kind of gambling addiction, pay for what's worth it to you. Plus the whales make it so that the rest of us can play.

It's the predatory practices that prey on non adults or people who don't realize they have a compulsion problem and/or don't have the income to match their compulsion. But we'd be zyzzling all day if we were going to go through the crap that most of us spend our extra income on (that we barely use/play).

That doesn't mean we can't rib on each other though.
Old 11-15-23, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew that however expensive it was, it would be more after f2p so I loaded up on sales, knowing I would be spreading it out. I got tokens at like 60 percent off today's prices. Frozen is coming out at the end of the month and should make the player base explode. 15 more days of the current Aladdin season. I have hopelessly been hooked on ranked which is never ending as there's new characters to grind each season.