Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney Speedstorm (Free-to-play, all platforms, 9/28/2023)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Disney Speedstorm (Free-to-play, all platforms, 9/28/2023)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Re: Disney Speedstorm (early access 4/18/2023), free-2-play, every platform.

I gave it a try in the trial window. It's an okay kart racer aimed at kids and built on a crazy multi level monetization system. Very few tracks. It's alright but since I have Mario Kart 8 and Crash Team Racing, I don't see much appeal to this game and their very limited number of tracks and racers at launch.
I would much rather buy that upcoming Lego racer and get a full game.

Whenever you have a game that is officially still in Preview, you have a game that has a built in excuse to not be a full complete project. It's not for me. But I'm glad you like it Deb.
Old 04-29-23, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

You do know the Lego game is going to be worse on monetization.
Old 04-29-23, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this! Looks like they will roll stuff out depending on what people say. Can't get on the pc until tonight but I think I'm level 4 or 5 for collection.

BTW collection level is how many racers you have unlocked and you unlock them by playing mostly the single-player mode. I wasn't interested in the ones left and was doing more multi-player but if I'm not level 5 time to get one more racer in story mode.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-29-23 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-29-23, 01:48 PM

Is this character unlock progression system, as described in a positive review of the game by Push Square, no longer the case? Because it sounds very, very bad.

The biggest question we had going into Disney Speedstorm was how it would handle rolling out its content. Available as a Founder's Pack now with plans to go free-to-play later, you have your Battle Pass, which is pretty standard, but how the game handles its characters has more of a link to a mobile gameplay style than people will like.

To unlock any character in Disney Speedstorm, you have to collect Shards. Some of these are done by just completing races in Seasonal Tours — which change with the Battle Pass — or going through the single-player Starter Circuit. However, if these don’t have the Shards you want, the only way to acquire them is by opening loot boxes or buying them on rotation in the store. Are you a fan of the Beast? Well, unfortunately, until Beauty and the Beast is featured in these limited windows, the only way to get Shards for him is a 1.14% chance of landing them from a loot box.

Getting the character is one problem, but every racer in Disney Speedstorm can also be levelled up to improve their stats by getting more Shards. Whoever has the larger level character definitely has the advantage when racing, to the point that in some multiplayer races the winner is already decided before it starts. In Regulated Multiplayer, everyone has the same level, but Ranked is dedicated to the time you put into your chosen character. If you have better crew members and a higher level than the rest of the lobby, it can be a cakewalk for you to cross the finish line first.

You cannot buy Shards, but if they ever add that in the future, this game will be considered pay-to-win and lose the interest of many gamers. With that in mind, there's plenty of single player content in the limited-time events and local races if you don’t really care about going up against real people and just want to race bots. The live service stuff is a big red flag, but there are enough good things here to still make it worth your time.
Old 04-29-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes and no. Eventually there will be events to pretty much unlock everything if you can't do it right now right now. It seems Hercules of all characters is the hard one to get now. BTW if you're good you can get it all now. You can get a ton by being good in multiplayer. There's single player, daily missions, special events, multiplayer, and season pass, which all give you stuff for playing and more stuff for playing better and play different characters in the same mode to get even more stuff. I suck and even I was able to unlock Sully and Mike which are the ones being featured in the current Season Pass without much issue and even got Mike to his second Star (been using him exclusively).

BTW there's a free play mode where you can use ALL characters even if not unlocked. And there's races in which you can play "guest" racers which are leveled up characters even if you haven't unlocked them and you can redo a race as many times as you want as long as the event is available if it's part of an event.
​​

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-29-23 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-29-23, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Is this character unlock progression system, as described in a positive review of the game by Push Square, no longer the case? Because it sounds very, very bad.
it sounds like what the Hot Wheels game does (did?). You want the Delorean from Back to the Future? You wait til it’s on a special sale and buy it with tokens from races or you get lucky with a mystery box.
Old 04-29-23, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

What happened to all that momentum against gambling via loot boxes in video games? A ton of "lobbying" of politicians from game companies? Parent's just give up and figure it's easy enough to buy their kids Robux?

I love Mario Kart. I love Disney. I REALLY love Figment. I'm interested but the thought of paying $70 for a game that's then monetized on top of that is just so terrible. And people are complaining about Zelda being $70?

Convince me otherwise Deb.
Old 04-29-23, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean other than already saying you don't have to spend anything other than $30 period I don't know what else to say. I've played this more than Mario Kart across all consoles.
Old 05-01-23, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought on the Switch also I need help. $140 for that stupid game. Now I can take it on the go, I have 20-30 minutes every day wait to pick up the kid and I played some today, setting up the hotstop with the Switch ate into the time but now it's saved. I need an excuse to go to the DMV without an appointment.

I've put in just over ten hours so far. I'm obsessed with this game.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-01-23 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-02-23, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I bought on the Switch also I need help. $140 for that stupid game. Now I can take it on the go, I have 20-30 minutes every day wait to pick up the kid and I played some today, setting up the hotstop with the Switch ate into the time but now it's saved. I need an excuse to go to the DMV without an appointment.

I've put in just over ten hours so far. I'm obsessed with this game.
Have you played Mario Kart? It's so much better, and you get a lot more for your $
Old 05-02-23, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Mario kart and speedstorm is sooooo much better. There's tons of daily missions giving you stuff and even sucking I get quite a few items a day. I have played more speedstorm than I ever did Mario kart.

I also got Lego 2k drive but after playing speedstorm on the switch I got drive just for the pc. I can't with the small screen. So I'll leave speedstorm as my mobile game and get as many games as I can for the pc. Maybe I'm just getting old

This game is so much fun.
Old 05-03-23, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This had a steep learning curve for me as for the navigation of everything there is to do. There is just so much content. And as you progress there's always going to be beginner stuff to do that gives you some so eventually if you play enough you're going to progress also. There's 3 currency, multiplayer, coins, and tokens. I got tokens as part of the $140 and I haven't spent any. Coins you earn for a ton and there's daily missions so I spend those hand over fist. MP I don't really play or use a lot. Not interested in that, mostly in the solo missions. And they just gave out a ridiculously easy mission today that I already finished that gave you a ton of stuff. But so many things I realized about the navigation and how to play. I'm doing the missions on the PC and leaving the story for the switch or the just participate races. For the coins you can get over 1.8 million coins a year fairly easy, now and again like today it may be your weak point that gets highlighted and you may miss some but just on the daily coin rush it gives you tons of coins. I wait and get the daily specials of stuff that usually you have to be good to get.

So be good, get stuff now. Show up, you'll get everything eventually. My kind of game. I don't need to be front of the pack.
Old 05-03-23, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was all confused because I had already done ranked races and I was starting over and apparently each racer has their own rewards time to multiplayer all racers.

I suck at Kart games and it took me seven races to get enough points to get the racer shards which is how you up your character. Also got multiplayer coins and tokens which is the premium currency. You don't have to come first. And because it's the first few tiers per character, you're bound not to be the worst one. I have 11 characters so far, that's 77 races of about a couple minutes each or about 2.5 hours to get shards for all of them. That seems where it starts to steep up and further rewards need better driving but that level 3 seems very accessible.

You may still be able to get a ton more rewards just racing but I have limited gaming time. This may be something I do if I run out of other stuff.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-03-23 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-04-23, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just realized weighted multiplayer has weekly rewards. Even if you're last, you can get all the rewards for the week for 10 races.

People were complaining that they needed a certain level Hercules to do his chapter on story mode and that's why they released a limited event which was pretty much a gimme (if you played). People could then progress easier in that story mode. It was pretty much "locked" for even great players. So they seem to be able and willing to respond and are listening to the players. This game rewards you a ton for playing. The premium currency, tokens, which are going to be the heavily monetized ones, are to get characters or levels NOW, eventually there will be events or you can play over months. There's unlocking characters, raising their levels up to 30, stars up to 5, and each character can get crew members who have their own levels, and the levels affect speed, handling, etc, and the stars unlock abilities.
Old 05-04-23, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They just released a really nice faq.

https://disneyspeedstorm.com/news/disney-speedstorm-community-pit-stop
Old 05-06-23, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I did my "dailies" and it was 41 minutes. Given, two of those are weekend ones so I already did them and won't have them tomorrow but sometimes there's extra missions added somewhere else. That's not counting multiplayer which the farther you go the more races you need per reward, but if you run out of other stuff to do you can always grind those. This is a great do something small every day game, which are my kind of game.

I threw 3 openings at the chance box and unlocked one more racer (free "race" money, I refuse to spend even one token, which I got a lot from the two copies of the game, I'm going to hoard it forever). But the yellow coins are given for everything. I just got 15,000 for the weekend coin rush, that's 1.5 spins of the box. 12 racers unlocked of 18, and one more will be given in the next couple of days for having participated in an event, so I just got 5 left. Gonna have to wait and grind and get them in the next few months.

What's infuriating is that one of the remaining 5 locked ones I have I'm only one shard from it and she currently has an event but all the objectives I haven't done yet are too hard for me

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-06-23 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-08-23, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well this blows the PC program I use to track my PC game usage all of a sudden stopped tracking Speedstorm yesterday. Still tracks other games, just not speedstorm. Tried starting it from the folder and from Epic, nothing. Just that game. It tracks another Epic game just fine. So now I have to do the PC manually.

I got Figment and they gave enough shards for anyone to get level 13 (if I can do it, anyone can do it ). There are some harder frustrating objectives I may go back to in the new event for upgrade parts, I may not. I don't like how he handles on curves which may or may not be fixed by leveling up some.

This is the quandary, I have 26k of the premium currency that is likely to be the one monetized in the future. They have a special today, 5 shards of a character for 2000 of those, and I need 8 to unlock. Decisions, decisions.... I mean if I'm going to use them, I may as well do it for a new character. But I just get a satisfaction of waiting for an event and getting it for free. I like grinding. I like getting stuff over months.

Dailies today took 26 minutes but I got a whole week of a new regulated multiplayer to do and I still haven't finished all my ranked multiplayers.
Old 05-08-23, 05:32 PM

Having balanced racers is so important in a Kart game.
Old 05-08-23, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Having balanced racers is so important in a Kart game.
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/16...133859843?s=20
So they put out a post about this. What happened is that Mike is the first character you could star and level up in a significant way because he is being featured in the current season (Sully too but more rewards for Mike) and Speedstorm's response is that ALL characters will eventually be like this when powered up, this was just a taste. He just happened to be heavily featured first.

So I found out a list of goals to do daily and weekly to get XP for the season pass and now I have another slew of dailies to do Someone complained they didn't know how to get figment, all they had to do was race once, even if placing last, in the event. And now it's too late. I do agree I've been finding about all this on my own and it's not intuitive. I've put in over 20 hours and am still finding out stuff. There's just so much to do. Maybe an overall checklist would be helpful.
Old 05-08-23, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Is this your first F2P rodeo, GatorDeb? Because I fear for your future addiction if so.
Old 05-08-23, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is this your first F2P rodeo, GatorDeb? Because I fear for your future addiction if so.
Nope, Pokemon Go.

I DO get addicted to getting free stuff. This, Lego Drive 2K and Diablo 4 will take up the next few years.
Old 05-15-23, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just passed the 30 hour mark. Few games grab me like this. I do my dailies every day which are around 20 minutes. I'm averaging over an hour a day which is not good for life I do wish I had waited and not gotten the Switch port as now I'm getting an Asus but I had no plans of an Asus at the time. I play about 40% of my total DS time on the Switch. I'm trying not to learn about other games because this, Lego Drive 2K, and Diablo are more time than I have to play so I think I'm going to stick to those three. And if you think about it they all work the same way, grind daily, get rewards.
Old 05-16-23, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Just wait til Diablo Hell Racerz comes out.
Old 05-16-23, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Just wait til Diablo Hell Racerz comes out.
I'm in You can race with your Diablo characters?
Old 05-16-23, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

I played the trial for about an hour yesterday and even with being Disney obsessed the game is underwhelming. The core racing is more generic and uninteresting than pretty much every other kart racer I've played. Even with the Disney overlay I don't see myself playing too much more of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.