Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Lego 2K Drive - PS5, XSX, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (5/19/23)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

This looks like it could be fun. At least it's something different for the franchise. And it's coming SOON.

Publisher 2K and developer Visual Concepts have announced LEGO 2K Drive, an open-world “AAA driving adventure game” for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch on May 19.

The game will be available in three editions:
  • Standard Edition ($69.99 on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series, $59.99 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC)
  • Awesome Edition ($99.99) – Includes a new vehicle, vehicle flair, and an in-game LEGO minifigure. Players will also receive the Year 1 Drive Pass, which will introduce an all-new biome, in addition to four individual post-launch seasons of Drive Pass content, each with new vehicles and themes.
  • Awesome Rivals Edition ($119.99) – Includes multiple new vehicles, a vehicle flair, and in-game LEGO minifigures. Players will also receive the Year 1 Drive Pass, which will introduce an all-new biome, in addition to four individual post-launch seasons of Drive Pass content, each with new vehicles and themes.
Pre-orders include the “Aquadirt Racer Pack,” which features the Aquadirt Racer Street Car, Aquadirt Racer Off-Road Car, and Aquadirt Racer Boat. This pack is included in the Awesome Edition and Awesome Rivals Edition regardless of pre-order.

Here is an overview of the game, via 2K:
About

LEGO 2K Drive will be the first release in a multi-title partnership between 2K and the LEGO Group to develop AAA LEGO games. With 2K’s proven expertise in creating high quality and engaging interactive entertainment properties and the LEGO Group’s unprecedented cultural impact, the partnership will evolve the iconic LEGO games experience fans know and love in exciting new ways.

A world-class team at Visual Concepts with deep experience in the genre will bring AAA quality, depth of gameplay and stunning visuals to a LEGO driving game for the first time. LEGO 2K Drive will combine the best elements of open-world driving and fast-paced competitive racing, while introducing a diverse vehicle customization system.

Additionally, a collaboration with supercar and hypercar company McLaren Automotive will bring the McLaren Solus GT and McLaren F1 LM—just released in a LEGO Speed Champions double-pack set to help celebrate 60 years since McLaren was founded by racer and engineer Bruce McLaren—to the world of Bricklandia, as the cover cars perfectly encapsulate the thrilling, high-octane experience fans can expect in LEGO 2K Drive.

Key Features
  • A Story in a Vast Open World – Players will journey across Bricklandia’s multiple unique biome regions as they compete against a series of charismatic rivals with hopes of one day winning the coveted Sky Cup Trophy. In LEGO 2K Drive, players choose how they want to play, with a wide open world to explore full of racing, minigames, challenges, collectibles, things to destroy, and well-known vehicles from LEGO themes like City, Creator, Speed Champions, and more.
  • High-Octane LEGO Racing – Racing in LEGO 2K Drive is a fast-paced, off-the-wall experience as players battle across a broad range of tracks while taking advantage of unique power-up abilities that can transform a player’s standing in the race with the touch of a button.
  • Unique CustomizationLEGO 2K Drive introduces a diverse customization system that allows players to build their own vehicles to suit their tastes, with over 1,000 unique LEGO pieces available over the course of their adventure, in addition to a wealth of color designs, stickers, flairs, and more.
  • Play Solo or TogetherLEGO 2K Drive offers robust co-op and thrilling competitive multiplayer to enjoy with others. Play with family and friends via local, two-person split-screen or match online with other intrepid racers of similar skill levels.

Old 03-23-23, 01:19 PM

Re: Lego 2K Drive - PS5, XSX, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (5/19/23)

Game Stop bonus with pre-order :

Buy LEGO 2K Drive for a Free Aquadirt Racer Vehicle LEGO® Kit!

Get a physical LEGO® kit containing everything you need to build your very own real-world 3-in-1 Aquadirt Racer vehicle, which can be assembled in Street, Off-Road, or Water forms!

*While Supplies Last

Online Customers: Bonus will ship with your game

Store / In-Store Pickup Customers: Bonus will be available wit at the time of pick up
Old 03-23-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I instantly preordered the Awesome Edition for my wife, who's both a LEGO fanatic and a racing game fanatic. And since we have nephews who are similarly afflicted, I'm planning on buying this for them too. Errr, maybe not as nice an edition, though.

This just looks ridiculously great.
Old 03-23-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I have no interest in this whatsoever but I'm ecstatic that Disney and now Lego are making racers, love the genre.
Old 03-23-23, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Switch version appears to be digital code only, which sucks.

Looks super fun. Taking what the recent Hot Wheels game did well and add the Lego flair.
Old 05-04-23, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bit I read up more on it and Speedstorm has really gotten me hooked on it. Gonna get it for pc and switch. I'm getting used to the small switch screen with speedstorm. Saw video and the handling looks just like speedstorm. I'm getting hyped about this. And it's my first Lego game. Got it with the year 1 pass. I'm obsessed with speedstorm and this looks like same game different brand.
Old 05-05-23, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Any idea if there is any on foot gameplay or is it only driving around in cars?
Old 05-05-23, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Sounds like it’s all vehicles, all the time. Not necessarily just cars, though.
Old 05-05-23, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

For those that have played Lego games, the driving/flying mechanics of the vehicles were the worst aspect. I hope that’s not the case since they are a different developer.
Old 05-08-23, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-08-23, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
For those that have played Lego games, the driving/flying mechanics of the vehicles were the worst aspect. I hope that’s not the case since they are a different developer.
the driving in Lego City Undercover is good. Also fine if its a level that is 100% designed for driving/flying in the other games. Its when they add a vehicle into a walking-level that its terrible. But as you said, different developer anyway... wonder what TT is up to next though...
Old 05-08-23, 08:35 AM

Finally a live service that is upfront about their road map and seasons. And no time limit on seasons, which is nice. I want to play at my own very deliberate pace.

Lego 2K Drive will feature Drive Pass content across four seasons into spring 2024, offering free and premium tracks that can be completed at your own pace, beginning in June.

The first Drive Pass season will kick off on June 1st, just under two weeks after Lego 2K Drive's Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One launch on May 19th, and will offer 100 levels of free and premium tracks filled with new drivers, stickers, flairs, and other cosmetic items.
Each Lego 2K Drive season will offer different challenges for you to complete as you work through 100 levels of content, both as free and premium offerings. Each of the four currently planned seasons will offer its own set of rewards, with one of them adding a brand-new biome to the base game.

Each season will include a free track, but those of you that want to earn even more goodies as you play will be able to pick up the Premium Drive Pass for each individual season. Alternatively, preparing for the long haul and picking up the Year 1 Drive Pass will give you access to the premium Drive Pass tracks for each of the four seasons into spring 2024, as well as the Awesome Pizza Vehicle and 550 Coins for the in-game store, Unkie's Emporium. Each season, Premium Drive Pass owners will be able to unlock vehicles from popular car manufacturers, with Dodge and Nissan already lined-up for Season 1.

2K says that the Drive Pass seasons won't have a time limit, so you're free to work through them at your own pace. All levels you've unlocked when playing through the free tracks will automatically unlock on the premium tracks if you decide to purchase the Premium Drive Passes at a later date.

Old 05-14-23, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gaahh the anticipation is killing me, 2 more days! Had to preorder an Asus Rog Ally for 6/6 or thereabouts so that I could take it on the go since it won't have cross-progression and I prefer to game on the PC but want to take it on the go. They call Drive Pass a season, Drive Pass Season, and the drive pass has four seasons, it's 100 levels over the 4 seasons for 100 levels for the Drive Pass Season or 25 levels a season.

Speedstorm, Drive 2K, and Diablo 4, I'm done for a while.
Old 05-15-23, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tomorrow is the day!! Although I can't find at what time early access will start. All I know is 3 days before the 19th.
Old 05-16-23, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Install button popped up, downloading! Only 9.8 gigs, I'm totally staying up to play it tonight.

And there's already microtransactions a car and 500 coins for $5 so it sounds like it's 100 coins per dollar.
Old 05-16-23, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It won't start Gonna see if it's just I'm too early and try again in the morning.

Edit: I went to the community board and restarted Steam and I'm in!!

They're not letting you use coins until the season pass starts, just brickbux, so I can't tell what the coins will get you (which is the premium currency).

Sooooo the driving is NOT like Speedstorm, I'm all over the place in this one. But I'm having a blast anyway. Just put in 19.5 minutes but I have to be up in 6 hours

Yep, this is a winner.

This is SO a portable game. I can't wait til the Asus gets here early June.

Someone else called the driving arcadey and it's funny because arcade is the first thing that came to mind.

This game better not make me regress in speedstorm skills.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-16-23 at 01:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (05-16-23)
Old 05-16-23, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I'm finding this game very hard. Speedstorm you get something for showing up. Here you have to be good. And you need to do things to progress. Much harder than I thought it was going to be and not as much open world. For them open world means here's this huge map and the order you have to do things in. I'm not liking it just for the difficulty level.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-16-23 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-17-23, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate this game. So much. All two hours I've spent on it I wonder if it's just that it's so different than speedstorm driving mechanics wise and it's just not possible to play them both at the same time. The two games coulnd't possibly be more different. I love my DSS time, I hate my L2KD playtime.

If you're looking for wacky, this is it, one of the missions has you
Spoiler:
looking for donuts for the police officer's fundraiser

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-17-23 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-18-23, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb

But I'm having a blast anyway.

Yep, this is a winner.

This aged well.
Old 05-18-23, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Old 05-23-23, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm out. 3 hours total. I'll try out the pass when it comes.

So if you buy the big coin packs it's about 35 cents per 1k brikbucks so the 10k cars are $3.50, $4.90 for 14k, ans 4k figurines are $1.40.

$40 for the year pass of 4 seasons of 25 levels each.

The driving mechanics are horrendous. Load times to get the game up and running are horrendous. I start up Speedstorm 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time (closing in to 35 hours in that one). EACH RACE you have to exit out of two beginning animations by holding a button, not just tapping once like Speedstorm.

Difficulty, controls, and load times.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-23-23 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-23-23, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-23-23, 02:24 PM

I haven't played it enough yet to comment on difficulty, but the first few races were easy enough. I like some of the open world stuff. I truly love the Forza Horizon games and so it makes sense that I will like this as well, as it's like a Kart raving version of those games. The on-the-fly changing from race car to off road vehicle to boat is pretty cool, as is the ability to repair damage done to your vehicle by crashing through Lego obstacles.
I need to play a lit more to get a real feel, but Deb seems to be having a very different reaction to the game that I am so far.

Yes the monetization is annoying, but pretty avoidable. I suspect the game will be a lot better once they implement the ability to download other people's creations, which is apparently coming soon-ish.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (05-23-23), Music (05-24-23)
Old 05-23-23, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stop trying to rationalize things, Decker. The game is just not fun.
Old 05-23-23, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate Forza Horizon so there's that.

You do know the first race I don't think it's possible to lose There's a huge amount of rubberbanding and I hate it, it's artificial competitiveness, where they're nipping your heels all race and then boom you won. I've won the first race and two of the butte loops. That stupid alien invasion is kicking my butt. I hate the mini-games that are Lego Mario Party as I hate Mario Party. I don't plan on buying stuff but I'm interested in the mtx phenomenom in general so I'll be following the store. I'm wondering if I'll just be able to download people's good cars to give me an edge.

I think my left stick is starting to go (it happens with every game, some games now "autowalk") but Speedstorm is forgiving in lower levels.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.