Reload this Page >

The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2022

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-05-23, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 368 Likes on 269 Posts

After a long hiatus from DVD Talk I am back with my favorite games of 2022. With manga overtaking videogames as my main hobby the number of games I played dropped significantly from last year but I still have a solid top 15 for a list. As usual this is my specific favorite list but I welcome others opinions and recommendations.

2022 Games that I'm interested in but haven't played yet: (Gotham Knights, A Plague Tale: Requiem, The Callisto Protocol, Chained Echoes)
The following 6 users liked this post by The Questyen:
Adam Tyner (01-05-23), Decker (01-05-23), Jeremy517 (01-05-23), lwhy? (01-05-23), Music (01-05-23), story (01-05-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-23, 01:24 PM

Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2022

15. Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising (PS5) (system I played it on)

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a prequel game to the highly anticipated JRPG Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (by the Suikoden creators). It's a 2D side scrolling platforming action-rpg (that is a mouthful) with multiple characters to switch between each with unique combat styles and weapons. It has some Metroidvania aspects to the gameplay and if you dislike backtracking and fetch quests you will dislike this game because it is filled with both of those. But even with that I really enjoyed the town building aspect and getting to know all the town residents which was a good change of pace from the exploring/fighting portions of the game. As a big fan of the original Suikoden I'm very excited for the upcoming spiritual successor and while Rising definitely isn't that I still enjoyed my time with it.
The following users liked this post:
Noonan (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome back!
The following 2 users liked this post by Music:
Deftones (01-06-23), The Questyen (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 02:54 PM

14. I Was a Teenage Exocolonist (PS5)

I was trying to think up a description of this game but the one on the official website I think sums it up best. They call it a "narrative deckbuilding RPG with a timeloop twist". You play as a child growing up on humanity's first space colony so not only do you spend time exploring a new planet you also maintain friendships/relationships with other colony members and choose what classes you take so you can spec to whatever profession on the colony that you prefer. Your character over the course of your playthrough goes from age 10 (when you are on the space ship headed to the colony) all the way to age 20. This game is all about the consequences of your actions so choices you make can completely ruin your colony but that is where the "timeloop" comes in to play where when you start over you remember all your memories from your previous playthroughs so you can prioritize other characters to spend time with and spec in another fields to open up other paths to save the colony. I found the characters for the most part to be interesting and the plot engaging enough to see it through multiple playthroughs until I got an ending I was satisfied with. The graphics while not mind blowing have a nice watercolor vibe to them and the characters all have their own distinct look. Like a lot of "timeloop" games you get some repetition on subsequent playthroughs and I didn't 100% every option but I had a lot of fun with the 20 or so hours I put into it.
Old 01-05-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 684 Likes on 559 Posts

Old 01-05-23, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 468 Likes on 366 Posts

Welcome back! I was thinking about these threads recently. I hoped that we would have a 2022 thread.
Deftones (01-06-23)
Old 01-05-23, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 300 Posts

Iím looking forward to your choices for last year.
Old 01-05-23, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,364 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
After a long hiatus from DVD Talk I am back with my favorite games of 2022. With manga overtaking videogames as my main hobby the number of games I played dropped significantly from last year but I still have a solid top 15 for a list. As usual this is my specific favorite list but I welcome others opinions and recommendations.

2022 Games that I'm interested in but haven't played yet: (Gotham Knights, A Plague Tale: Requiem, The Callisto Protocol, Chained Echoes)
Wait, so where's the "Favorite Manga of 2022" thread?
Old 01-05-23, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wait, so where's the "Favorite Manga of 2022" thread?
I read over 400 volumes of manga in 2022 so I could definitely do one but it would probably be more "favorite manga I read in 2022" since I mainly read series that are already completed other than a volume 1 to see if I like it.
fujishig (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 07:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Fuck Christmas! This is my favorite time of year!!
Old 01-05-23, 09:38 PM

13. Disney Dreamlight Valley (PS5)

In 2020 I played the shit out of Animal Crossing: New Horizons so when I heard they were making a Disney game similar to Animal Crossing I was excited. I'm a huge Disney fan so it seemed like a match made in heaven. And for the first 50 hours or so of playing Disney Dreamlight Valley I was loving the game. The number of characters and areas along with a fun storyline kept me engaged. As a "game" I find it to actually be superior to Animal Crossing with far more to do and an extensive quest system which means you always have something to do unlike AC. At least until you don't. Once I completed the quests for all the characters in the game that was pretty much all there is to do. So while I think Dreamlight Valley is a better "game" it's missing the charm and the obsession that Animal Crossing holds. They are regularly doing updates which add new characters and areas but I'm having a hard time getting back into it. I played a few hours of the recent Toy Story update but it wasn't enough to take a hold of my interest so I think I'm done with Dreamlight Valley.
story (01-05-23)
Old 01-06-23, 07:05 PM

12. Nobody Saves the World (XBSX)

I was a big fan of the two Guacamelee games by Drinkbox the same developer as this game so I was expecting it to be good and it didn't disappoint. Nobody Saves the World is a dungeon crawling action rpg with 15 characters to switch between each with unique abilities that can and need to be combined with each other. Most games like this I usually find a character or two that I like and I will stick with them but this game rewards leveling up and using each character and does a great job introducing areas and dungeons where each characters specific abilities and their combinations with each other come in handy. The graphics are bright and colorful, the music is catchy, the characters are inventive, and it has a nice sense of humor like their previous games.
spainlinx0 (01-06-23)
Old 01-06-23, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,364 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
13. Disney Dreamlight Valley (PS5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScOApu6XKrM

In 2020 I played the shit out of Animal Crossing: New Horizons so when I heard they were making a Disney game similar to Animal Crossing I was excited. I'm a huge Disney fan so it seemed like a match made in heaven. And for the first 50 hours or so of playing Disney Dreamlight Valley I was loving the game. The number of characters and areas along with a fun storyline kept me engaged. As a "game" I find it to actually be superior to Animal Crossing with far more to do and an extensive quest system which means you always have something to do unlike AC. At least until you don't. Once I completed the quests for all the characters in the game that was pretty much all there is to do. So while I think Dreamlight Valley is a better "game" it's missing the charm and the obsession that Animal Crossing holds. They are regularly doing updates which add new characters and areas but I'm having a hard time getting back into it. I played a few hours of the recent Toy Story update but it wasn't enough to take a hold of my interest so I think I'm done with Dreamlight Valley.
My youngest daughter wanted to play this so I let her for a bit, but it still seems microtransaction heavy in a way Animal Crossing just isn't, so I'm hesitant to let her play more. Was I mistaken?
Old 01-06-23, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,725 Posts

I remember wanting to check out Nobody Saves The World when it first came out on Game Pass, but then forget to. Hope it's still on the service, as I will give it a shot now.
Old 01-06-23, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
My youngest daughter wanted to play this so I let her for a bit, but it still seems microtransaction heavy in a way Animal Crossing just isn't, so I'm hesitant to let her play more. Was I mistaken?
I don't think there is any microtransactions in the version out currently. I know when the free version of the game releases this year their will be cosmetic microtransactions but their was nothing in the paid version that I played.
Old 01-06-23, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I remember wanting to check out Nobody Saves The World when it first came out on Game Pass, but then forget to. Hope it's still on the service, as I will give it a shot now.
It is leaving on the 15th.
Old 01-06-23, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Music View Post
It is leaving on the 15th.
Ugh. I will at least try it by then.
Old 01-06-23, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 342 Likes on 205 Posts

I really enjoyed Nobody Saves the World. It was a very fun story.
Old 01-06-23, 10:14 PM

11. Little Noah: Scion of Paradise (PS4)

I am generally not a fan of roguelites and will actively avoid them so I don't know why I gave Little Noah a chance but I'm glad I did because it hooked me good. It's an extremely fast paced 2D action platformer with the gimmick being that instead of your own melee attacks you unlock these monsters that attack for you so you'll have this line of monsters following right behind you and when you go to attack it will go through the line of monsters and they attack for you. So you can have magic users, melee, long range all mixed in or just go all melee. It might sound confusing but it is not and feels extremely smooth. The controls are about as perfect as a platformer can get and this is an extremely fun game to play. It took me around 12-15 loops to make it through the story so around 8 hours but even once I had done that I still replayed it a ton (it has ton of monsters to unlock and max, along with accessories for your character) and maxed everything out with my final playtime being around 40 hours. Once you are good at it and high level you can complete a run in 15 minutes or so and I was doing at least a run a two a night for a solid month or so. After really enjoying both Hades and Little Noah I think I'm going to not let "roguelite" put me off of games I might otherwise play going forward.
Old 01-07-23, 10:29 AM

10. Beacon Pines (Switch)

Beacon Pines has a cute artstyle but it's actually a fairly dark narrative adventure game. You play as a young boy whose father has passed away and now mother has gone missing as he tries to solve the mystery of her disappearance and how that is connected to the evil corporation who has taken root in Beacon Pines. The core gameplay is you exploring the town and as you go you unlock "words" that you can use in major decisions in the game that will make it split in to different story branches. You can really quickly switch to another branch if one ends poorly. The plot took directions I was definitely not expecting and the dialogue and voice acting were both great. Highly recommended for people who enjoy story driven games over action.
Old 01-07-23, 12:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I haven't heard of most of these games, but Quest's love and admiration, in how he expresses his thoughts on each one, just wants to make me get 'em all (even though they may not be my type of game). Quest, you just make it so interesting.
Old 01-07-23, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 705 Likes on 499 Posts

2022 was hands down the worst year for games (that interested me) for as long as I can remember. So I'm looking forward to seeing what Questyen can open my eyes to for this year.
Old 01-07-23, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 684 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I haven't heard of most of these games, but Quest's love and admiration, in how he expresses his thoughts on each one, just wants to make me get 'em all (even though they may not be my type of game). Quest, you just make it so interesting.
Last year I enjoyed Lake based on this list. Not the kind of thing I would usually play,
The Questyen (01-07-23)
Old 01-07-23, 05:01 PM

9. Dragon Quest Treasures (Switch)

There have been quite a few Dragon Quest spinoffs in the last few years and I haven't really paid attention to any of them but the positive reviews for Treasures interested me enough to pick up this Switch exclusive Dragon Quest game. You play as a brother sister duo (you can switch between them at will but they both play exactly the same so there is no need to) who get sucked into a portal and end up in a new world where you get a base and spend all your time fighting and recruiting monsters but mainly collecting treasure (hence the name). The new world has islands you can switch between as you explore, fight, do quests, recruit, and collect. It plays like a standard action JRPG but the thing I really enjoyed is levelling up your base and the monster recruiting. As you treasure hoard grows the amount of treasure scattering around your base gets comically insane. There are also rival treasure hunter guilds out in the world who while you're out exploring will try to steal your treasure and occasionally show up at your base to steal treasures but you can fight them off. The first 1-2 hours were pretty slow and I wasn't sure about it at first but once you get your base and free to start exploring the fun really starts and I got hooked. It's got your standard Dragon Quest monsters and music which is always fantastic. My only real negative is the graphics aren't great. Like a lot of these recent late in life Switch titles this would look a lot sharper on more powerful hardware but it didn't really affect my enjoyment.
Old 01-07-23, 10:41 PM

8. Cult of the Lamb (PS5)

Combining Animal Crossing with a dungeon crawler and having you play as a cult leader was not a game concept I thought I would ever see but it all comes together wonderfully in Cult of the Lamb. The artstyle and graphics fit this game perfectly with a great mix of cute and creepy. You spend half the game levelling up your followers loyalty, giving them work, and otherwise building up your cult while the other half is spent exploring randomized dungeons and bringing in resources. Your dungeon trips usually only last 10-15 minutes so they didn't overstay their welcome although the combat while decent is nothing special. But the real highlight is the cult building back at your base. I loved the variety of different animal forms your followers could be and the choices you got to make in how your cult was run. I usually play as a "good" character when given the choice in a game so playing as a "good" cult leader made for some interesting choices. Overall just a really great conceit for a game that didn't overstay it's welcome and I had a ton of fun with.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.