Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars : Jedi Survivor 4/28/23 (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Series S, PC)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Star Wars : Jedi Survivor 4/28/23 (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Series S, PC)

Old 05-10-23, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,552 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Star Wars : Jedi Survivor 4/28/23 (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Series S, PC)

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I think when you meditate, regardless of what you do (skills, rest, stances, etc) it saves.
That's correct.
Old 05-11-23, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Re: Star Wars : Jedi Survivor 4/28/23 (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Series S, PC)

Only, it didn't.
I mean, I picked up at the same place, but a lot of the progress I made and secrets are found were undone.
Old 05-12-23, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts

That sucks.
Old 05-12-23, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

Ok, it may just be that I'm getting older and suckier at gaming, but I'm not understanding all the praise for the combat in this. I'm around a dozen hours in or a little more, and so many of the fights feel like a roll of the dice to me. As in, sometimes I feel like my character is doing exactly what I intend during a fight and other times it just kind of feels like button mashing. I'm still enjoying it enough that I'll keep playing and probably finish it before starting TotK, but I really do feel like I'm fighting the controls a fair amount.
Old 05-12-23, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,552 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Ok, it may just be that I'm getting older and suckier at gaming, but I'm not understanding all the praise for the combat in this. I'm around a dozen hours in or a little more, and so many of the fights feel like a roll of the dice to me. As in, sometimes I feel like my character is doing exactly what I intend during a fight and other times it just kind of feels like button mashing. I'm still enjoying it enough that I'll keep playing and probably finish it before starting TotK, but I really do feel like I'm fighting the controls a fair amount.
Once you start an animation for fighting, like a swing, you can't cancel it. That's different from most games and can lead to frustration. It's really about timing your blocks and your attacks.
Old 05-18-23, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Just beat it. Maybe my memory sucks but this seemed way shorter and way less places to go. Sure the places are much bigger in this but still.
Yeah, I had the exact same thought when I finished it. When I got to the final planet, I was thinking, 'huh, I wonder where the story's going to go after this?' Then it very quickly became apparent the answer was 'nowhere.' I don't mind a short game, but the pacing of the story felt weird to me, like it just sort of ended.

I ended up dropping the difficulty down one level from the default. That didn't really solve my feelings of combat sometimes being tightly controlled and other times feeling janky, but it at least stopped me from dying every time it felt janky. I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever decreased the difficulty of a game below the default level.

There were a fair number of bugs in my playthrough, including a handful of crashes and instances where Cal wouldn't interact with something that he was supposed to be able to interact with.

I'll probably play a bit more to collect items, but really just as an excuse to run around and use force powers and see if they make things more fun, as I couldn't care less about finding a handlebar moustache for Cal or slightly different combination of colors to paint BD-1. A review I had read said to hang onto skill points as Cal acquires some mid-to-late game force powers that would be worth sinking them into. I ended up beating the game with like 25 points stored up because I kept expecting something to become available.

All in all, it certainly wasn't a bad game, but it felt like a step down from the original and was a mild disappointment.
Old 05-24-23, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 299 Likes on 248 Posts

Just wrapped this up... a very good game. Much better than the first one, IMO. I didn't come close to 100% and about the only thing I wish I had done was track down all the bounties --- but I've no interest in that now.

I will say this, the bad guy at the end... his motivation is fucking stupid and his rationale for his behavior is beyond dumb. I really like Cal though. Here's to hoping they could somehow incorporate him into a live action series or the future movies. I know the timelines are off but there are now time portals in cannon, so who knows.

Quick edit: Riding the speeder bike was really cool. It felt fast and super responsive. Kudos to the devs for pulling something off that could have been extremely frustrating.

Last edited by Rob V; 05-24-23 at 08:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Music (05-24-23)
Old 05-27-23, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Yea I beat it the other day. I liked it for most part despite the utter god damn mess of a game it is, still runs like shit really considering my hardware.
Old 05-28-23, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts

I think Iím about to go to the last planet but my desire to play this game is nil right now. Maybe Tears of the Kingdom has corrupted me.
Old 05-28-23, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 930 Likes on 718 Posts

I'm barely starting on the second planet. Feels like I've been playing forever.
Old 05-29-23, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 408 Likes on 299 Posts

Just finished the story. Loved it all the way through and no way this doesn't end up near the top of my game of the year list. Immediately going to hop back in and finish some side stuff and collectibles.
The following users liked this post:
Music (05-29-23)