Received 6,399 Likes on 4,381 Posts
re: STARFIELD (Xbox/PC 2023)

Infinite free money!
Old 09-14-23, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 415 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I mentioned that earlier. The puddle glitch. You don’t have to be in third person to do it.
Old 09-14-23, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts

Finished. During that final sequence I had literally my mouth open, eyes wide open, skin tingling, thinking that's so pretty. Wholly satisfied. I have 32 months of Gamepass already paid for but once they're up if I don't renew it I will buy this game. This and BG3 are games you have to own. I will do the $30 for the DLC as soon as available.

I'm gonna leave it for now saved at beginning of NG+ (I have one at the fork before choosing to repeat or not, I chose not to and played a couple minutes of it) since Lies of P comes out in 4 days, I want to do that next. But this is an infinitely replayable game. Just outstanding.

I find it "lighter" than BG3 where I could play 5 minutes, do something else, play five minutes, do something else, whereas in BG3 I had to concentrate more and it took more out of me. Both fantastic games.

Spoiler from after the game for NG+:
Spoiler:
The easiest way to get both a Starborn ship and the Starborn armor/spacesuit is by entering new game plus via The Unity. You’ll wake up inside a Starborn ship, known as a Starborn Guardian, wearing a Starborn Spacesuit. Every time you start another new game plus, your Starborn Spacesuit will be upgraded, so you become even more powerful. There are 10 Starborn Spacesuits in total, from Starborn Spacesuit Astra to Starborn Spacesuit Venator.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-14-23 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-25-23, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 133 Posts

So I've changed my mind on this game. I'm really interested in possibly trying it now but the fact that it uses another updated version of the same engine they been using for the last 20 years bothers me. Fallout 4, a game I loved at first but then ended up hating, became such a bore to play and I really got sick of the games mechanics.

For the life of me I swear I can't gauge whether or not I'll like it from all the you tube reviews I've watched, tons of people love it, tons of people hate it, & tons of people sit right in between.

I honestly would only play this game to chill out in and that alone is what's making me think about a purchase (I don't so game pass) - it looks remarkable in that aspect but I don't want it to just fizzle out after a couple of hours.

End of rant. the games graphics look very impressive but the characters look like trash and feel soulless.

Tons of DLC and updates are coming though as well.
Old 09-25-23, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts

i tried, I wanted to get into this game but I just found it so tedious. This was never my type of game to begin with but I recognize this developer has a great track record and wanted to give it a go - especially for "free".
Old 09-25-23, 01:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

I've been doing a lot of wandering around. I kind of enjoyed the settlement building in Fallout, but the outpost building in this is a chore. Gathering resources is almost as bad as driving the Mako around in Mass Effect.
The following users liked this post:
Rival11 (09-27-23)
Old 11-07-23, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I finally finished this. Let me tell you the ending was atrocious. I mean it’s like “you want to do this? Ok. Here’s what you did.”

Then it’s game over. Oh but you can start over as
Spoiler:
Star born with your skills intact,
you just won’t have any cash, ships, items, or anything else. Oh and people might vaguely remember you.

I don’t know how people are doing 10-12 new game plus runs but I had absolutely no interest in doing this all again. Will I go back? When there’s DLC yes. But talk about a let down at the end.
Old 11-07-23, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I decided part way through first game to just work on powers (not any quests), couldn't quite get all of them, went to NG+ (missing 2, the most common ones people don't get). Then I decided pretty early in second one to try to get them all to 10 (which is maximum).

At that point, I did pretty much no quests. Got pretty intolerable around New Game + 5 (and I had 4 that were behind at that point, so knew I'd need an extra game).

But I did keep plugging along and got them done in NG+ 11. Last game I just needed one, and I got it in a couple of hours luckily. Then just finished that game because I'd already opened the end game part up.

At first it took me about 8 hours to do everything, by the end I could do in 4 if I didn't get distracted, but usually 6 and not the least bit interesting.

So I wouldn't recommend that but the good thing is now I'm just playing the game, I'm enjoying it because there is a ton of stuff I never did (I think I had done Mantis twice, Pirates just far enough to get ACH, another thing that got me a ship once, whole story twice). Technically I'm doing the story this time (because there are things you can't get without doing the story because certain characters won't talk to you) but it's fun because it's almost new. I was around level 90 by the time I finished all those runs.

Even though all my powers are 10, there are only about 6 I use and most of those are just for convenience. I'd probably use the Time Slow one all the time but it bugs regularly.

I've still barely started outposts (I built one a long time ago). It seemed annoying but I will do it since I have most of the other achievements.
Old 11-08-23, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I finished at level 77. I’m sure I’ll play again (I’ve gone back to FO3, 4, NV, and Skyrim many times) but there’s zero desire to start over again. But I rarely jump right back into a game after finishing it.
Old 02-04-24, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,257 Posts

XboxERA is reporting that a PS5 release of Starfield is coming later this year. Several other prominent Microsoft/Xbox leakers/insiders have since posted that they've heard the same.

For many weeks now, rumours have persisted regarding Microsoft's intentions to release a number of 1st party games – namely Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves – on rival platforms. According to our sources, who have asked to remain anonymous because they were not authorised to talk about company plans, that list of games also includes Bethesda Game Studio's Starfield.

Starfield released back in August of 2023 to fairly positive reception (despite the narrative that now exists online), and was the biggest Bethesda game launch of all time, surpassing 6 million players within a week of release.

Now it looks as though Microsoft are planning on bringing Betheda's newest RPG universe to an entirely new platform – PlayStation 5.
According to sources, we understand that currently Microsoft are planning a launch for Starfield on PlayStation 5 post the release of the already announced "Shattered Space" expansion for Xbox and PC, which is on target to arrive at some point later this year. We've also been informed that Microsoft have made additional investment into PlayStation 5 dev kits to support ongoing development efforts – adding further fuel to the fire.

As the already existing rumours have suggested, the idea of bringing 1st party titles to competing console platforms marks a massive change in strategy for Microsoft and from what I understand, it's not been without fierce internal debate on this new direction. Releasing Starfield on PlayStation 5 contradicts the original statement around exclusivity made by President of Xbox Sarah Bond, during the Xbox and Bethesda Games Studios summer showcase of 2021.
According to our sources, Microsoft senior leadership have reportedly debated the various pros and cons of releasing more of their exclusive software elsewhere, and internally, not everyone is necessarily happy with the decision, but recouping the potential money "left on the table" by not releasing elsewhere has arguably won out.

According to sources, Hi-Fi Rush's release on rival platforms is tentatively planned for Q1 this year, and we've been advised to expect Microsoft to make a more public announcement on this new strategy this month.
Music (02-04-24)
Old 02-04-24, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found it too dark and didn't want to go back to it but it has confirmed that you'll be able to make it brighter in a future update so I'll play it through all the way again then on a new save and just meander around and do stuff.
Old 02-06-24, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts

As to Starfield and several others possibly coming to PS5...right now it's rumors and speculation but the fact is...No-One is denying it...all they're saying is stay tune to the MS event next week laying out their ...Business Vision......but there's no doubt something has not been working...you had 1000 layoffs in the Gaming Division back October 2022 and recently 1900...then turn around a few days later and brag about how much was made thru the Activision Meger.....But rest assure, there is not much Happiness in any XBox Gaming Division right now...I don't see how anyone has any faith in the Upper Mgmt whose calling all the shots right now ......maybe some have sort of...woke up and said we need a change or else...we shall see....
Old 02-09-24, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Or maybe not? But I guess we'll find out something next week.

Old 03-08-24, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did a main story walkthrough and finished the main story but didn't start another playthrough because it was just too dark and it's full of caves. I heard they added new brightness settings and now it's fantastic so now I'm doing another walkthrough where I'm just going to go in side missions and take my time.
Old 04-29-24, 01:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Re: STARFIELD (Xbox/PC 2023)

Finally finished this after getting sidetracked. The universe is the best ;part of the game. The cities look great and the details are well done. The views from some of the planets are gorgeous.

The story was ok. I think I enjoyed playing the faction quests more. Reactive shield was the only one of the powers I used. That with a shotgun was incredibly effective.

I hated the outposts and they were a pain to construct. I pretty much gave up on it. I had enough credits that if I needed an element a metal I'd just go buy it.\

Poor Sarah had a rough go of it in my game

Spoiler:
I ended our marriage a few missions before the Starborn attack the Eye and she was the companion that was killed

Last edited by MrX; 04-29-24 at 02:36 PM.
Dan (04-29-24)
Old 04-29-24, 02:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
The story was ok. I think I enjoyed playing the faction quests more.
classic Bethesda RPG, then

I agree; some side quests were quite compelling while the main quest, as usual, was relatively short and (in retrospect) a bit shallow.
I’m looking forward to see what the DLC has to offer, but that’s not coming until the fall. I’m slowly replaying the game from scratch on PC now; kind of wish this is what I had done from the start.”, but I didn’t have a powerful PC at the time.
MrX (04-30-24)
Old 05-01-24, 11:39 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Massive update on the way. DLC is due in the Fall, apparently, and the official mod tools are in the hands of some modders but is yet released into the wild, based on an interview with Todd Howard recently.

https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfie...-33-may-1-2024

Starfield’s latest update is here and it’s bringing several new features with it!
  • Improved surface maps - We’ve heard your feedback, and we’ve made some big improvements to surface maps, so you’ll always know just where to go and no longer “get lost” on the way to your parents’ place (and they weren’t buying that excuse anyway, you should really go visit them).
  • New gameplay options - For those of you who like a bit of an extra challenge or want to make some aspects of the game easier, you can customize your experience with brand new options in the Settings menu. Want to make ground combat harder but ship combat easier? You can do just that!
  • Added Ship Decoration mode to the interior of Ships – now you can decorate your ships just like you can with Outposts!
  • Added Tabs to Container menus to make managing your inventory easier.
  • Added the ability to change Traits and appearance after entering the Unity.
  • Added Dialogue camera toggle in the Settings.
  • Added Display settings for Xbox Series X to prioritize Visuals or Performance (Series X).
That’s just the tip of the iceberg. Read on for a full list of fixes and improvements!
(PLEASE NOTE: This update is currently in Steam Beta before going live for all players. We don’t anticipate much to change from this update but will let you know when it’s available and any adjustments we make to the notes below. Thank you!)
XBOX SERIES X DISPLAY SETTINGS
We’ve heard from many that you’d like to have more control over the graphic fidelity and performance on Xbox, similar to how PC players can customize their experience. We’re now enabling that on Xbox Series X with a few options that you can use to find the best fit for your playstyle and display.
For each of these, we highly recommend a Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) Display running at 120hz, and to verify your Xbox is setup to use it. If you have it setup this way, Starfield will now default to a frame rate target of 40, while keeping the priority for full visuals.
  • Frame Rate Target: You can now choose between 30, 40, 60 or an Uncapped frame rate on VRR displays. If you do not have a VRR display running 120hz, you will still be able to select from 30 or 60. Screen tearing may occur at times when selecting 60 on a non-VRR display.
  • Prioritize: You can now prioritize between Visuals and Performance while trying to maintain the frame rate target. If you’re choosing a frame rate target of 60 or above, we recommend changing this to Performance. Prioritizing Visuals keeps the highest resolution while maintaining full detail for special effects, lighting, and crowds. Prioritizing Performance lowers internal resolution and detail for special effects, lighting, and crowds. Both modes may adjust internal resolution dynamically when scenes or action get heavier as well. When switching between modes, you will see the lighting change briefly as the system catches up to the new mode.
Given how heavy a load this game can be as it is, with its physics and item persistence, I suspect there will be a LOT of compromises in fidelity to hit that 60fps mode. I’ll be very curious to see how Digital Foundry compares the options, but I’m betting that 40fps (which is the exact mid-point between 30 and 60 in terms of actual frame time) will be a solid option, as it easily maps to 120hz displays.
Old 05-02-24, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'll come back to it when they finally add vehicles on planets.
Old 05-02-24, 01:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

That’s coming too, but later.
Old 05-08-24, 01:09 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The new surface maps are a huge improvement

Old 05-08-24, 09:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, the update hasn't rolled out yet on the PC Xbox app. Might still be Steam Beta only...

surface maps look like a massive improvement. Can't wait to try it.