DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (not that one) » 10/28/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/655452-call-duty-modern-warfare-ii-not-one-%BB-10-28-22-a.html)

Adam Tyner 05-24-22 11:56 AM

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (not that one) » 10/28/22

No platforms announced yet, but presumably cross-gen...?

There's some graffiti that reads "J 8 22" at one point, so maybe we'll see more on Wednesday, June 8th?

stingermck 05-24-22 12:33 PM

Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (not that one) » 10/28/22

Excellent! I still play MP on MW. It's still too good for me, to jump to any other releases since.

SmackDaddy 05-24-22 08:28 PM

As long as they fix the issue of having re-download the game after every botched update (at least on PS4). I wanted to jump on the other day and campaign and multiplayer had to be downloaded again (as usually happens with every update).

Adam Tyner 05-24-22 11:07 PM

I still haven’t played Modern Warfare. I was waiting for a price drop that never really came, and then I was waiting for a PS5/Xbox Series patch that…errrr…yeah.

Worst case scenario, I play it when the Microsoft acquisition is finalized and it’s on GamePass, but I sure wouldn’t complain if something were to happen sooner.

OldBoy 05-25-22 09:31 AM

the first or newest MW was a very big letdown. i finished it in a weekend (playing only a couple hours, if that) and i don't usually finish things until months or more after release. this new incarnation was an abomination.

gerrythedon 06-09-22 07:23 PM

Rival11 06-20-22 01:32 PM

I'm sure the campaign will be at least decent. I'm more concerned about the multi-player - they need to do something drastically different with it.

Draven 06-20-22 04:05 PM

I need this Modern Warfare II to replace Vanguard. I just don't like the WWII guns and they are trying so hard to make the guns feel modern in that setting and the whole thing is a mess. I LOVED Cold War's multiplayer and they basically abandoned it for Vanguard. I'm going back to Cold War just to have some fun again.

Adam Tyner 10-06-22 10:09 AM

Rival11 10-07-22 08:58 AM

Played the multiplayer beta - it's the same exact game as MW 2019 - my dumbass fell for this nonsense again as I pre-ordered it months ago. Can't help it - COD 4 MW was one of the biggest games ever for me - been wanting that feeling ever since.

Hopefully I'm wrong come release time but for now, it played like complete trash - time to kill is even more horrendous then ever as well.

Rob V 10-07-22 10:17 AM

^^ I played the beta and didn't mind it but I usually don't get too absorbed into the CoD or MW games anymore. Too many people on MnK or using cheats. My son pre-ordered the game and asked if I'd play it with him --- so I too fell for the annual trap.

Rival11 10-07-22 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 14174264)
^^ I played the beta and didn't mind it but I usually don't get too absorbed into the CoD or MW games anymore. Too many people on MnK or using cheats. My son pre-ordered the game and asked if I'd play it with him --- so I too fell for the annual trap.

Believe it or not, that "Ricochet" ant-cheat platform they released a little ago has REALLY made a difference.

Boba Fett 10-08-22 11:36 AM

I cancelled my preorder. The beta was underwhelming. The rumors of needing a phone number through a major carrier to play online are a recipe for disaster if Activision ever suffers a security breach. Now I hear in addition to battle pass, map packs are returning.

I predict it’s going to fall flat, not as hard as Vanguard, but enough that it will see a huge Black Friday discount.

Rival11 10-09-22 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 14174721)
I cancelled my preorder. The beta was underwhelming. The rumors of needing a phone number through a major carrier to play online are a recipe for disaster if Activision ever suffers a security breach. Now I hear in addition to battle pass, map packs are returning.

I predict it’s going to fall flat, not as hard as Vanguard, but enough that it will see a huge Black Friday discount.

While I don't blame you for cancelling - the map pack purchase is only a one time purchase for a "classic map pack" you get all the maps from the original MW2 along with a bunch of other maps from the Treyarch and sledgehammer classic games - that's worth purchasing to me.

The phone number nonsense it complete BS though - they say it's to help stop abuse - which makes no sense at all.

Adam Tyner 10-09-22 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 14175048)
The phone number nonsense it complete BS though - they say it's to help stop abuse - which makes no sense at all.

I’m not suggesting it’s the right decision, but a phone number (assuming it’s like what they did with Overwatch 2) makes it tougher for awful people who are banned to create a new account and do it all over again (or create multiple accounts at once to obscure their identity), as well as to address things like smurfing. It’s a heavy, clumsy hammer that almost certainly harms more good players than bad, but there’s clearly logic behind it.

Rival11 10-09-22 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 14175057)
I’m not suggesting it’s the right decision, but a phone number (assuming it’s like what they did with Overwatch 2) makes it tougher for awful people who are banned to create a new account and do it all over again (or create multiple accounts at once to obscure their identity), as well as to address things like smurfing. It’s a heavy, clumsy hammer that almost certainly harms more good players than bad, but there’s clearly logic behind it.

If that's all they're going to use it for, then I could care less.

Boba Fett 10-13-22 07:39 PM

Even worse is the phone verification basically requires you to have a major cell carrier. I use Cricket because I buy my phone unlocked and save $20-$30 a month not going with Verizon or ATT. Activision considers Cricket an invalid carrier.

It’s absurd someone is going to use a Cricket number, get banned and pay $100ish to get a new account and number with them.

Decker 10-13-22 08:20 PM

That is insane. How can they force you to have a major carrier in order to play a video game. -screwy-

Boba Fett 10-13-22 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14177204)
That is insane. How can they force you to have a major carrier in order to play a video game. -screwy-

They straight up banned prepaid and VOIP. They did walk it back and say consoles and Steam purchases don’t need the phone number.

Still, I know people who live rurally and have decent internet but don’t pay for a cell because coverage is near zero. They’ve effectively been kicked out to mitigate cheating that the company could mitigate in other ways if they took a fraction of their profits and invested in it.

dsa_shea 10-16-22 04:04 PM

The new "squad up" commercial is cringy as hell.

Rival11 10-16-22 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 14178497)
The new "squad up" commercial is cringy as hell.

Yes, it's really bad lol

Rival11 10-19-22 08:55 AM

Maybe I'm crazy or cold war and vanguard are just that bad but......MW 2019 plays REALLY well for me now. It's a lot of fun to play now and I have no issues with time to kill anymore (which was always my biggest gripe about infinity ward games) - with that said, the TTK in the new MW2 is brutal. Hope they fix that.

Rival11 10-31-22 09:28 AM

Ugh, another incomplete game at release. I only played the multiplayer so far and it's so stale and boring with a confusing mess layout.

This is the absolute last time I buy one of these games at launch.

Rob V 10-31-22 10:29 AM

^^ Agreed. I bought this to play with my son and the maps are awful. Just awful. You'll be running down a corridor expecting a way out... but wait! You just hit a dead-end or another corridor and maybe there's a door down there!

And again, as someone who plays Siege and is impacted by people on KnM as well as using XIMs and Cronus Zens, it's impossible to compete just using a controller. I might get 15 kills in a game... but that pales to the top players getting 30, 40 sometimes. It's frustrating.

lopper 11-02-22 08:38 AM

I’ve come to really enjoy CoD multiplayer over the last few years, basically from the most recent MW reboot. The grind to unlock weapon attachments and skins is actually very appealing to me.

That said, I don’t know that I like this new weapon progression system. Im not sure I even understand it, tbh. To get this attachment for weapon A, I have to level up weapon B, which is likely an entirely different weapon type? And sometimes, I’ve got to take weapon B close to max level to unlock that specific attachment?

I haven’t spent much time looking at skins, but from what I have seen, the unlock system for those is equally convoluted.

Lastly, I am wildly underwhelmed with the TDM maps so far. It seems like they all take place in some variation of a village or bombed out town. They are, to my eyes, almost indistinguishable from each other.

I really haven’t been able to spend as much time playing as I’d like, so I am sure I will acclimate to these changes over time, but I’d put this up there with one of the more disappointing CoD multiplayer launches in years.