Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Elden Ring (From Software | Miyazaki | Martin | Feb 2022)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elden Ring (From Software | Miyazaki | Martin | Feb 2022)

Old 02-25-22, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: Elden Ring (From Software | Miyazaki | Martin | Feb 2022)

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Jesus. I literally walked into that battle, that thing jumped on me, killed me instantly and I was like, shit, I can see this game is gonna suck.
it was the most Dark Souls beginning possible.

...But the actual first boss during the tutorial dungeon was the easiest three hit wonder they've ever done.
Old 02-25-22, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
it was the most Dark Souls beginning possible.

...But the actual first boss during the tutorial dungeon was the easiest three hit wonder they've ever done.
Yeah he was too easy. Which had me confused when i saw all the bloodstains. Like how do ypu die to that simple of a boss???
Old 02-26-22, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Took me probably 20 tries to beat that no-stomach having mofo at Storm Keep or whatever it is called, only to find out that he isn’t even a boss because he was there again after I campfired…
Old 02-26-22, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Starting to regret not getting this...on my friends list 6 were on Destiny and 7 were playing this....a friend who is huge in Dark Souls and Bloodborne started last nighjt and said it really looked good. I wanted to ask about the coop part since it was something that intrigued me. I liked it in Bloodborne but hated it opened up being invaded. This game seems like it be a blast being far more open.
Old 02-26-22, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd say just get it. It's a hybrid BotW and DS with all the expected weirdness that comes with that combo (Alexander the jar knight? Da hell? ) it is a vast world and you get the horse extremely early on, not sure how invasions work here yet.

​​plus better now while everyone is lower level.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-26-22 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-26-22, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts

Darn it, a couple of days ago I didn’t even know this game existed, but the trailer looks amazing, and now I kinda wanna play it despite my giant backlog. I’ve never played any of the DS games, though, so maybe I can use that to talk myself out of it.
Old 02-26-22, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 738 Likes on 526 Posts

I love the atmosphere of the game, and I'm getting a hang of the combat with regular foes, but I'm having a hard time with Hagrit. I'm not a Souls veteran, though, so I know it'll take some more practice for me.
I did beat two optional bosses, but they were ridiculously easy.
Spoiler:
The beastman in the cave and the weird fire breathing statue in the catacombs.

Also pretty sure I turned online features off, but I was invaded twice by the same person in the same area.
Old 02-26-22, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't been invaded yet thankfully.

I am a Souls vet and am having an issue with Margit as well, even when I summon the guy for help. I want to level my sword a little more but can't find the right material.

I forgot how much weight plays in the series.

I did defeat those same two optionals as well as the
Spoiler:
Tibia Mariner. Also easy.
​​​​​​

Old 02-26-22, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Came across a small pond with some baby crabs when suddenly

The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (02-26-22)
Old 02-26-22, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Ok stupid question. How do you aim a projectile weapon? Have crossbow and I just hip fire it with right trigger. The more I was thinking, maybe it has something to do with wielding with 2 hands? I just can't figure it out.

I suck so bad at parrying or dodging in this game.
Old 02-26-22, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fight in your underwear! Dodging is way easier with light or medium weight loads. And yeah I think it's two handed to get the aim sight with a bow.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-26-22 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-26-22, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Also pretty sure I turned online features off, but I was invaded twice by the same person in the same area.
There are some scripted NPC invasions. Another staple of Souls games
Dan (02-26-22)
Old 02-26-22, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I’m guessing illusory walls aren’t a thing anymore since apparently they removed kicking?
Old 02-26-22, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
I’m guessing illusory walls aren’t a thing anymore since apparently they removed kicking?
Still a thing, but somewhat rare. Attack it or roll into it. There is no weapon durability this time around, so smack as many walls as you want.
Old 02-26-22, 01:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
There are some scripted NPC invasions. Another staple of Souls games
ahh yes, of course.
Still a thing, but somewhat rare. Attack it or roll into it. There is no weapon durability this time around, so smack as many walls as you want.
Thank goodness! That's one of my least favorite game mechanics in any game, realism be damned.
Old 02-26-22, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Figured out how to aim a crossbow and shoot. Completely unintuitive.
Old 02-26-22, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 156 Posts

I’m placing an order right now and I’ll think I’ll go with the PS5 version since although it fluctuates in terms of framerate, I really don’t want to take the less visually appealing option.

I might be asking a lot of questions like OldBoy as I suck on all Souls games. Best Buy Canada still have their Steelboook PS5 version.
K&AJones (02-26-22)
Old 02-26-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Beginning to think this isn't a game for me. Just punishingly difficult. Yes, knew it going in, but I don't like retrying the same thing 17 times and not being able to figure it out.

To make matters worse, when you do try to build yourself up, such as exploring to try to gain any advantage, there are often obstacles that make it seem you just traded one punishment for another. Was having fun exploring, but now I am basically stuck with no path forward.
Old 02-26-22, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 274 Likes on 219 Posts

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...nt-good-enough

Apparently the PC port is a stuttery mess. I guess I’ll be waiting a while to pick this up.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-26-22 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-26-22, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts

Beginning to think this isn't a game for me. Just punishingly difficult. Yes, knew it going in, but I don't like retrying the same thing 17 times and not being able to figure it out.

To make matters worse, when you do try to build yourself up, such as exploring to try to gain any advantage, there are often obstacles that make it seem you just traded one punishment for another. Was having fun exploring, but now I am basically stuck with no path forward.
This video will show you a path to explore and get skills/items to help you get ahead.
Old 02-26-22, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What level weapons and how many Flasks do you have?

Oh and you don't need to go after that particular boss yet

Last edited by RichC2; 02-27-22 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-26-22, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if you played any Souls games before this, but here's a few things that you might already know but maybe not:
  • Look at weapon scaling for the weapon that you like (S is best, then A, B, C, etc). If your chosen weapons scale best with dexterity, usually don't spend levels on strength, and vice-versa (unless you need a specific stat to wield a weapon). Generally, strength weapons are slower to swing but do more damage, while dexterity weapons are faster to swing but do less damage. The early weapons are often D and D in scaling, so maybe decide whether you like the fast or strong weapons best and increase that stat instead of the other.
  • Smith your weapon at the first church if you haven't already
  • Especially against bosses, rolling is often a better defense than a shield. Pay attention to your equipment load. Equipment load affects roll speed, distance, and invulnerability frames. Heavy load is usually really bad. Medium load should be easily achievable by only having one melee weapon equipped and possibly removing one piece of armor. Load < 30% is fast rolls, 30 to 70 is medium rolls, Load > 70 is slow rolls.
  • Allocate your flasks at a grace site. No point in having FP flasks, for example, if you don't use magic. If you get to a spot where you might need to resurrect your horse, you can change allocation to give yourself an FP flask
  • Backstabs are really powerful. Lots of minibosses and bosses can still be backstabbed. I find that being slightly to the left when behind is more consistent at getting backstabs.
  • You can summon people or NPCs to help with bosses if you want
  • Margit is hard. Don't get too discouraged.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 02-26-22 at 10:48 PM.
Deftones (02-26-22)
Old 02-26-22, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Apparently the PC port is a stuttery mess. I guess Iíll be waiting a while to pick this up.
FWIW, many people can play without the issues. I've only seen a few stutters. Obviously other people see a lot of stutters, so YMMV.
Old 02-26-22, 09:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So I leveled up and had no runes left so figured I'd get on my horse and ride as far east as I could. That way, if I died, I wouldn't feel too bad about losing the runes I had.

Without getting too spoilery... I came across an elevator like the one you ascend at the beginning of the game. Didn't seem like a big deal. It was.
Old 02-26-22, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Not sure if you played any Souls games before this, but here's a few things that you might already know but maybe not:
  • Look at weapon scaling for the weapon that you like (S is best, then A, B, C, etc). If your chosen weapons scale best with dexterity, usually don't spend levels on strength, and vice-versa (unless you need a specific stat to wield a weapon). Generally, strength weapons are slower to swing but do more damage, while dexterity weapons are faster to swing but do less damage. The early weapons are often D and D in scaling, so maybe decide whether you like the fast or strong weapons best and increase that stat instead of the other.
  • Smith your weapon at the first church if you haven't already
  • Especially against bosses, rolling is often a better defense than a shield. Pay attention to your equipment load. Equipment load affects roll speed, distance, and invulnerability frames. Heavy load is usually really bad. Medium load should be easily achievable by only having one melee weapon equipped and possibly removing one piece of armor. Load < 30% is fast rolls, 30 70 is slow rolls.
  • Allocate your flasks at a grace site. No point in having FP flasks, for example, if you don't use magic. If you get to a spot where you might need to resurrect your horse, you can change allocation to give yourself an FP flask
  • Backstabs are really powerful. Lots of minibosses and bosses can still be backstabbed. I find that being slightly to the left when behind is more consistent at getting backstabs.
  • You can summon people or NPCs to help with bosses if you want
  • Margit is hard. Don't get too discouraged.
I have not played any before, so this is good info. Thank you, I appreciate it. Changing up some things made me more nimble and I have beat a few side bosses.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.