DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Elden Ring (From Software | Miyazaki | Martin | Feb 2022) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/654203-elden-ring-software-%7C-miyazaki-%7C-martin-%7C-feb-2022-a.html)

Dan 11-13-21 04:54 PM

Elden Ring (From Software | Miyazaki | Martin | Feb 2022)

Looks neat, yeah?

Maxflier 02-21-22 10:55 AM

re: Elden Ring (From Software | Miyazaki | Martin | Feb 2022)

OldBoy 02-21-22 12:06 PM

i was wondering why i haven't heard of this game until a few weeks ago i stumbled upon it somewhere. been interested ever since and comes out Friday. is this considered a "soulsborne" or whatever like game? i can't seem to tell. it gave me that feeling, but also looks a little different. action rpg can mean so many things in terms of gameplay. looks gorgeous, but i am waiting for reviews...

Eric F 02-21-22 12:37 PM

I hate the Souls games, so I'll probably hate this. I was kind of hoping this game was a more open-world type RPG, but apparently it's not.
I find the Souls games to be an exercise in frustration.

I guess we'll find out on Wed when the reviews drop.

RichC2 02-21-22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 14062967)
I hate the Souls games, so I'll probably hate this. I was kind of hoping this game was a more open-world type RPG, but apparently it's not.
I find the Souls games to be an exercise in frustration.

I guess we'll find out on Wed when the reviews drop.

Eh, the problem with reviews is difficulty still won't be a good gauge. As others say the most difficult Souls game is the first one you play, after you get the leveling system down and figure out it's all about keeping your weapon upgraded and load light with adequate health containers/items, it becomes pretty average in the difficulty & frustration department.

The exceptions are the tower guards. Fuck those guys.

slop101 02-21-22 03:51 PM

I love Bloodborne, but not a fan of the Souls game, so we'll see.

Apparently, this isn't nearly as tough as those games because it's more-open world, and bosses aren't required to be beaten... but maybe I'm wrong.

Noonan 02-21-22 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 14063092)
I love Bloodborne, but not a fan of the Souls game, so we'll see.

Apparently, this isn't nearly as tough as those games because it's more-open world, and bosses aren't required to be beaten... but maybe I'm wrong.

There are required bosses but also hidden bosses for people who want the extra challenge.

Curious, why do you love BB but not like Souls games? Other than not having a shield in BB, they're very similar.

OldBoy 02-21-22 04:03 PM

^ isn't Bloodborne the real birth of souls games? i would love this to be just a nice 3rd person action rpg, not in the vein of the souls games, but rather like others with more dexterity and freedom of movement. my limited experiences have not been too positive.

RichC2 02-21-22 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14063100)
^ isn't Bloodborne the real birth of souls games? i would love this to be just a nice 3rd person action rpg, not in the vein of the souls games, but rather like others with more dexterity and freedom of movement. my limited experiences have not been too positive.

No, that was Demons Souls. Both Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1 start off with slower characters that gain more speed and mobility as you level.

DS3 is faster paced, similar to Bloodborne, and is what Elden Rings engine is derived from.

mhg83 02-21-22 08:33 PM

It seems like this will be the easiest soulsborne game with it being open world if there's a difficult enemy and or boss you can just jump on your horse and run away , come back later when you're ready. Theres also stealth options.

Another thing that seems to make the game easier
Spoiler:
You can summon NPC characters to fight alongside you

RichC2 02-21-22 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 14063264)
It seems like this will be the easiest soulsborne game with it being open world if there's a difficult enemy and or boss you can just jump on your horse and run away , come back later when you're ready. Theres also stealth options.

Another thing that seems to make the game easier
Spoiler:
You can summon NPC characters to fight alongside you

You could technically play through all the games in a somewhat non-linear manner and skip certain bosses entirely if you weren't prepared (and gain some levels, spells or weapons in other areas)

The NPC thing was present in Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne as well (once you get the Old Hunters DLC). I think is DS2 as well. The clan systems in all the game are interesting, my favorite being in DS3 where you can be summoned to attack new players via PvP ( + npcs on yours side) when they cross certain territory.

Elden Ring is slightly different as
Spoiler:
it's setup more like Breath of the Wild, so the final boss should be accessible early on

slop101 02-22-22 12:46 PM

What class y'all playing as?

https://i.redd.it/mbiuwmpldni81.png

I can't decide between Vagabond, Warrior or Samurai.
The idea of the Wretch is hilarious to me.

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 14063093)
Curious, why do you love BB but not like Souls games? Other than not having a shield in BB, they're very similar.

Mostly the setting/atmosphere and the gameplay - far more than the Souls games, it felt like what a proper Castlevania game in 3D should be like.

Maxflier 02-22-22 02:51 PM

Vagabond for me. I'm a straight sword guy.

Noonan 02-22-22 03:32 PM

Can't decide between Bandit, Astrologer, and Prophet.

RichC2 02-22-22 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 14063530)
Mostly the setting/atmosphere and the gameplay - far more than the Souls games, it felt like what a proper Castlevania game in 3D should be like.

That's my sales pitch for BB as well. That game is damn near perfect.

The Dude 02-22-22 07:29 PM

I'll play around with the character creator for a bit, pick the class with the coolest looking starting armor on my character and then proceed to build my 455th strength build in a Souls game. A tradition like no other.

mhg83 02-22-22 09:43 PM

I always go with a mage build and cheese my way through. :)

Dan 02-23-22 12:48 AM

Hey Adam Tyner ,

Can you fix the typo in the title from Miyazak to Miyazaki? :)

Adam Tyner 02-23-22 08:23 AM

Re: Elden Ring (From Software | Miyazaki | Martin | Feb 2022)

^ Done!

Deftones 02-23-22 09:10 AM

Reviews seem to be pretty stellar. I have never played any of the Souls games. Something you can just jump into with no prior experience? The reviews say this one is more forgiving for newer players.

Noonan 02-23-22 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 14063951)
Reviews seem to be pretty stellar. I have never played any of the Souls games. Something you can just jump into with no prior experience? The reviews say this one is more forgiving for newer players.

Yeah, you can jump in. This one is more open-ended than the others so you'll have more options to approach it. Just know that you'll probably die a bunch until you understand the combat. But if you played GoT or Sekiro, you'll be fine and already know what you're in for.

OldBoy 02-23-22 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 14063951)

you ain't kidding about those reviews...https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...critic-reviews

Maxflier 02-23-22 10:00 AM

Potential game of the generation here folks.

Dan 02-23-22 10:02 AM

Can't decide which console to grab this one on, as it looks like they're going to be more or less identical. I'll probably go Xbox since I've got some credit already, and I'll get Rewards points for it.
I've yet to actually finish a 'Souls' game, mostly due to lack of dedication, but this one does sound a bit more friendly, if only a little bit.

OldBoy 02-23-22 10:11 AM