Reload this Page >

What Are You Playing? (October 2021)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-07-21, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

I was super excited when they sneak announced and released the Actraiser remake during the last Nintendo direct. Actraiser is one of my favorite games of all time and I recently replayed it a couple months ago and it still holds up and plays great. So unfortunately the remake sucks. I only made it about an hour in and had to stop. The controls in the 2D action levels stink and it somehow looks worse than the original (instead of a good looking SNES game it now looks like a bad looking PS1 game). The sim aspects of the original were fun and not convoluted and of course they decided to overcomplicate everything in this new one. Big disappointment.
Old 10-07-21, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: What Are You Playing? (October 2021)

Far Cry: New Dawn (PS5) I know a lot of people didn't like this spin off but it's scratching that FPS itch I've been missing

Assassins Creed: Valhalla (Xbox One) This is one massive game. I like it a lot more than Odyssey so far.

Ratchet And Clank : A Crack In Time (PS3). 2ND Playthrough and I still rank it as my favorite R&C game.
Old 10-07-21, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,300 Likes on 849 Posts

Far Cry 6 is getting here today ó the first new game Iíve bought for myself since June, believe it or not!

Hopefully Iíll have that knocked out in time to at least start Final Fantasy VII: Intergrade or Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which have been collecting dust for ages now.

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Far Cry: New Dawn (PS5) I know a lot of people didn't like this spin off but it's scratching that FPS itch I've been missing
I loved it, personally. Itís kind of funny because I was so disappointed by FC5, which obviously lowered my expectations for the spin-off, plus Rage 2 looked to have a very similar vibe as New Dawn but amped up to 11. But once I actually started playing them, Rage 2 would wind up being one of the biggest letdowns I played last-gen, while I had a blast start to finish with New Dawn.
The following users liked this post:
mhg83 (10-08-21)
Old 10-07-21, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Persona 5 Strikers and then Tales of Arise.

I'd stil like to play Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding since I missed them both back on PS4. Maybe there will be price drops by the time I finish the other two.
Old 10-07-21, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts

Started this 'cause it's leaving Gamepass. I quit after the 3rd stage, bullshit 1 hit deaths and retrying a lot.

Old 10-07-21, 10:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 607 Likes on 521 Posts

Starting Saturday!!
Old 10-07-21, 11:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 925 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon View Post
Started this 'cause it's leaving Gamepass. I quit after the 3rd stage, bullshit 1 hit deaths and retrying a lot.

I loved this game. Soundtrack is amazing, too.
Old 10-17-21, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

After getting to a certain point in Super Mario Odyssey, I got frustrated and quit playing. However, that was probably for the best, because after taking a break for probably two weeks, I went back at it today, aced the area I was having difficulty with (it was a part on that food level), and managed to get enough of those Moons or whatever they're called to unlock Bowser's Castle (after beating that dragon on the Ruined Planet or whatever in one go; didn't die, which is rare). Blew through the level and currently I believe I only have one more set of doors to unlock before facing off with Bowser. I'm at a point where I have to use those needle-nose guys to make my way up this wall but I keep falling into the lava or goo or whatever. After dying close to a dozen times, I decided to take another break from the game. I'll pick it up again in a couple days, I think. I guess my point is, at least for me, when frustrated with a game, it's best to just take a break; come back fresh. I think my play is worse when I get angry, so coming back with a positive attitude seems to do wonders. I can't wait to beat Bowser then go back to certain other levels and search for more Moons and unlock more of those items for the ship (I've unlocked all of the uniforms, so all I have left are the stickers and paraphernalia, etc).

Also played some more Mario Golf: Super Rush, and continue to unlock more and more Club Sets for characters. All of the major characters have all their sets unlocked, but I'm close with Boo and Bo-Omb...Probably two more rounds of 18-holes with each and they'll be completely unlocked. And I'm close to unlocking Pauline's first set. Favorite courses are the first two or three, and Donk City. The rest are so-so (I hate the Desert Course, and the Ice/Snow Level can be just as frustrating as it was in previous Mario Golf games).

Last edited by Goonies85; 10-17-21 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-18-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Lego Marvel Avengers and Onrush with my kids. Bulletstorm on my own.
Old 10-18-21, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spent a couple hours going around picking up flowers and digging up their roots in Animal Crossing, as initially, when I was planting them, I didn't consider that if I plant them around trees, then shake the trees for goodies, if the goodies fall onto flowers, they disappear (just like if you slingshot a present, and it falls into flowers, you're hooped). Anyway, I didn't consider that when I started the game, so I went around and tried to make sure most or all trees at least had nothing but grass in the direct circular area around them. The good thing is it wasn't all for naught, as I was able to craft a bunch of stuff requiring flowers, stuff that I had neglected to craft until now. Might get back to Mario Odyssey today, or maybe even Resident Evil 4 (but this time, I'm going to play it with that device that came with the system that I can slide the Joy-Cons into, so it's almost like a normal controller...figure that might help cause I find it almost impossible to aim with the Joy-Cons detached)...I know it'd probably be better with one of those Pro Controllers, but I don't have the coin for one of those right now...
Old 10-19-21, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Super Mario: Odyssey - Whew. Beat Bowser's goons in that robot thing (didn't know I'd have to fight them again, thought I'd go straight to Bowser, but he went to the moon, apparently). Beat those guys without dying, even though it took awhile. I knew how to get the robot thingee on its knees, but I didn't realize the needle-nose guy could climb him. So after about ten minutes of running around, knocking him down, trying to jump up, I realized the needle-nose guy was necessary. Once I realized that, it was a cakewalk. That said, after beating him, I landed on the moon, but decided to take a break. It was hard enough climbing that one wall (that was way harder than the boss battle, in my mind). Will probably pick it up again either late tonight or later on this week...I am excited though cause I keep hearing how previous levels change once you've actually defeated Bowser. I look forward to that...

Aside from that, unlocked Star Clubs for Princess Daisy in Mario Golf: Super Rush...And almost there with the Pauline character ...
Old 10-20-21, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Well since in the last week I've finished off Final Fantasy IV: 3D Remake and Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster as well as my replay of Shadow Hearts, that only leaves Dragon Quest VI and Final Fantasy II: Pixel Remaster active for now.
I'll probably start up Final Fantasy IV: Interlude soon.
Old 10-22-21, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Leaving Gamepass.

Completed today, good game

Old 10-27-21, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Leaving Gamepass, completed yesterday.

Old 10-27-21, 08:13 PM

Starting Saturday, maybe, dare I say Friday night a bit, which I never do…
Old 10-28-21, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stuck on Super Mario Odyssey at the moment, at Bowser's Moon Wedding or whatever. I'm at the part where I've used the football guys to get to a certain boss who apparently I have to defeat before I actually go up against Bowser, but this shit is difficult (and it doesn't help that when you die, it sends you back a little too far in my opinion, and it's a hassle getting back to challenge that boss, so I'm taking another break from the game). I just wanna beat Bowser cause I hear a bunch of extra stuff gets unlocked after that.

Decorated the hell outta my island on Animal Crossing in prep for Halloween. There are pumpkins everywhere. Looking forward to playing it for a bit Halloween night, cause I remember doing that for the Gamecube version and I enjoyed it. Plus, I doubt we'll see many trick-or-treaters here, as (A) it's supposed to be cold, (B) a lotta people are just going to stay in cause of COVID, and (C) I just find a lotta people in my neighbourhood seem to prefer house parties, if anything, and if they have kids they'll just buy them candy as opposed to walking around the neighbourhood.

Played a few rounds of Mario Golf: Super Rush to unlock better club sets for more characters, but Nintendo still needs to add more content to the game and make some fixes when it comes to the gameplay (make it more similar to the N64 and Gamecube versions; they simplified it too much...)....

Finally, also downloaded the Metroid Dread demo for the helluva it. Glad I didn't purchase it. I'm just not that great of a gamer, and I find the difficulty level brutal (and that's no lie, I'm also one of the few that basically played Zelda: BOTW for like 6 hours then just put it down and haven't picked it up since. I will probably give it another try cause I still hear people constantly raving about it, but I found it a little difficult and a little boring. And that's odd cause I still play Skyrim and I love that game, and I've played the PS3 version, then I bought the PS4 version, and now I'm playing it for the Switch, and I didn't even mind having to start all over.)
Old 10-28-21, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

Deathloop and Resident Evil Village.

Not loving either one at this point but gonna push forward with em.
Old 10-30-21, 05:31 PM

Old 10-30-21, 10:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Finished up everything I could reasonably complete in Forza Horizon 1. Ready for a small break before FH5 drops.
Adam Tyner (10-30-21)
Old 10-31-21, 11:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

And now my daughter is playing FH1 from the start. what have I done
davidh777 (10-31-21)
Old 10-31-21, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

Finally finishing up the trilogy and playing through Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I'm about halfway through and enjoying it just as much as the other 2.
Old 10-31-21, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoyed Animal Crossing Halloween for what it's worth. Thought there would've been more. Unlocked/bought a bunch of Halloween stuff, which is great, but nothing too spectacular. It was kinda of "meh". Then I ran outta candy and apparently have to wait a while til I can get more...so? I'm watching "Simpsons" episodes. My roommate is throwing a Halloween party downstairs and has some shitty-ass music cranked...So I'm trying to drone that out...
Old 10-31-21, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to the new Animal Crossing content on Friday (even though I can't spring for the paid content at the moment), the free download should suffice, and should offer more playtime, cause like I've said before, I've pretty much bought everything Nook has to offer, so I look forward to some new additions. Hopefully that keeps me occupied for a while. Before I have to move again cause I think my days here are numbered...
Old 11-01-21, 08:26 PM

Borderlands 3 for a bit.
Old 11-03-21, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started playing this like 1 week ago, since it was leaving game pass. I liked the game but with only being halfway through and not having patience of dying and retrying a lot, I decided to stop with 2 days left before it got pulled. Didn't feel comfortable trying to rush and finish. Anyway maybe one day it'll be free or a nice sale, I'll try to finish