Old 09-24-21, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 221 Likes on 192 Posts
PERFECT DARK: Reboot

Old 09-24-21, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: PERFECT DARK: Reboot

The Initiative, developer behind the upcoming Perfect Dark reboot, has announced it is partnering with Crystal Dynamics to help develop the game.

Crystal Dynamics is the team behind games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Gex, and, most recently, Marvel's Avengers. The Square Enix-owned studio is being brought in to help “bring this first-person spy thriller to a new generation”, according to a statement from The Initiative.

“The teams couldn’t pass up a chance to work together. We’re still early in development, but incredibly excited to use this unique opportunity to deliver on the vision for Perfect Dark!”

The move is hardly too surprising, given that Perfect Dark game director Dan Neuburger spent over a decade working at Crystal Dynamics, working as director on the Tomb Raider reboot and its sequel, Rise of the Tomb Raider, before leaving to help found The Initiative. However, the announcement of this partnership coming nine months after the first reveal of Perfect Dark suggests that the Xbox exclusive might be further away from release than previously though.

https://www.xboxachievements.com/new...velopment.html
Old 09-25-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts

I find it an odd game to reboot. Was it ever that popular? I feel like the only reason it got attention was because it was Rare following up on Goldeneye, and people seemed mostly disappointed with it. I know I was. Slowdown galore.
Old 09-25-21, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 570 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I find it an odd game to reboot. Was it ever that popular? I feel like the only reason it got attention was because it was Rare following up on Goldeneye, and people seemed mostly disappointed with it. I know I was. Slowdown galore.
It sold like 3 million copies and was very critically acclaimed. It's got a 97% rating on metacritic.
Old 09-25-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I think the robust sales Questyen references is misleading. The N64 library was sparse and gamers were starved for content during the entire generation. All AAA games sold ridiculously well because people wanted shit to play. That and it was released at the tail end of the N64 lifespan when releases were even more rare. I mean Shadows of the Empire sold over 1m copies and that game was hot garbage.

Then you have a similar situation with PD0 on the 360. It was a launch title so again, starved for content sales come into play so sales numbers are misleading. I think the fact that neither spawned sequels in a timely fashion is more telling about the franchise.

I owned/played both at release, and both were average games at best and super forgettable. So to me, it seems like a great franchise to reboot. There isn't a ginormous fanbase with certain expectations so they can do pretty much whatever they want. Bringing in Crystal Dynamics has me intrigued.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (09-25-21)
Old 09-28-21, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 983 Likes on 687 Posts

Wait this was announced 9 months ago? I didn't hear anything about it.

Perfect Dark was way better then Goldeneye. There I said it. Better weapons, better graphics, better level design, better multiplayer. And of course the laptop gun.
Old 09-28-21, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Wait this was announced 9 months ago? I didn't hear anything about it.
On the Game Awards last December, yeah.
Old 09-28-21, 07:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts

I think I have this from rare replay. Any good? Graphics way dated? I could use a good FPS…
Old 10-01-21, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,399 Likes on 4,381 Posts

This is a reboot, not a remaster. Like how Doom (2016) doesn't really have anything to do with Doom (1993)
Old 10-01-21, 04:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts

Just wondering if old game any good or too dated?
Old 10-01-21, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I never cared for the original game (or the Xbox 360 one for that matter).

The Rare Replay version fixed the biggest problems, which were the horrific framerate and ultra muddied graphics, but it's still extremely outdated in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Funny to me too that it came out only one year before Halo.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-01-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-01-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The Rare Replay version fixed the biggest problems, which were the horrific framerate and ultra muddied graphics, but it's still extremely outdated in terms of gameplay mechanics.
Yeah. I tried to play the Rare Replay version a year or two back and found it too archaic to stick with. I can see the allure from a nostalgic perspective, I guess, but the N64/PSX generation came when I was exclusively a PC gamer, so I don't have any emotional attachment to Perfect Dark.

And I did buy the collector's edition of Perfect Dark Zero on day one, although I think I got to the end of the first level and never bothered playing any further. (Those dark days when I was terrible about seeing games through to completion!)
Old 05-08-24, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Perfect Dark reboot that was announced for PC and Xbox Series X|S is reportedly experiencing some shaky development woes right now.

Jeff Grubb took time on yesterday's Giant Bombcast to speak about upcoming Xbox projects. These included Perfect Dark, and things are apparently not looking good.

"The fallout from [layoffs], been hearing more and more...been hearing for years that Perfect Dark is in a rough state; it sounds like it's in a very rough state," he said. "And it doesn't sound like it's really come together in any way since [its announcement] and Crystal Dynamics coming on board to come help on that."

Xbox allegedly doesn't know if it wants to take the first-person shooter route for Perfect Dark reboot either. The series has historically been a first-person shooter with the exception of the top-down isometric Game Boy Color prequel.

The Perfect Dark reboot was announced back in 2020, and is still seemingly early in development. In 2021, Crystal Dynamics joined The Initiative to help out with development. When Crystal Dynamics went through layoffs last year, it ensured that Perfect Dark's development wouldn't be affected.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pe.../1100-6523261/
Old 05-11-24, 02:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 856 Posts