Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PC gaming...Desktop vs Laptop...Pros and Cons?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-28-21, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Hello All

For now I've put aside trying to land a PS5...my Launch PS4 is still humming ...for now...and have a 1.5 year old Desktop w/Intel i5 and GTX1060 I can play older games on that for now is Grim Dawn, Last Epoch, path of Exile and others. I came across a Free Dell Precision M4800 but it has a bad HD, still Windows 7 Pro and a limited GPU with a Intel 4th Gen i7. Not sure if I want to spend the $$$ to upgrade HD, Memory, Win 10....and jst look for another PC....

I've always been in the ....Tower Side...as it gives far more upgrades and add-on choices. I've never really toyed with the Laptop Gaming Side and know nothing about the Pros & Cons. I've looked at it as the main Pro was mobility with compact performance but heat and noise were a constant issue. I did glance around for Laptop articles and Best Gaming Laptops for 2021 stuff and like Towers price range was all over. But some newer budget models...like the Lenovo Legion Series were given high marks...as some from Asus and MSI...with fairly decent prices with impressive hardware.

But with the Towers Desktops it just seems you have far more options...like more HD's....various Video Cards...MB's to choose and upgrade, easier to build and probably a more superior cooling system. No matter which way I'd probably connect this to the Projector so that's one area I'd like to hear more about; video performance thru Monitor/TV with Laptop vs Desktop...the same or what? laptop wins with easy and quick connection and then mobility but any difference on everything else? And when it comes to specs for Laptop video card or what to look for overall...not sure and don't know; just spent more time looking, checking, reading PC Components more than anything. Thanks...
Old 08-28-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 446 Likes on 322 Posts
Re: PC gaming...Desktop vs Laptop...Pros and Cons?

Unless you are traveling a lot, don't bother with a laptop gaming PC. Way more bang for your buck with a desktop and they are cheaper. Plus, you have the added benefit of being able to upgrade components later on (provided you built it to be future proof).
The following 2 users liked this post by Deftones:
Dan (08-28-21), RichC2 (08-28-21)
Old 08-28-21, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts

Yep. Gaming laptops are great for portability but it ends there. Higher price for lesser performance and a lack of upgradeability.

I have a gaming laptop I never use and a mini-tower with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RTX 2070 Super hooked to my tv that I used for everything until I picked up a PS5 (I knocked out 3 exclusives) - but it's still my main gaming device.
Old 08-29-21, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know before and even after I got our latest PC (a Syber Tower with Intel i5 6th Gen and GTX1060)...many said build one. But with current Video Card prices, I've done a rough estimate and it's almost in line with a Pre-Built since you normally see instant rebates on cores and cards a lot. is it still economical to build one yourself? And isn't there some site that you can add your components and it will give you the stats and cost?
Old 08-29-21, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts

Building your own is great if you can wait for sales on all the items. Otherwise, grabbing a tower that's on sale is going to yield roughly the same price with more ease due to graphic card availability.
Old 09-05-21, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After seeing some recent stories from Chip Shortages, demand and prices might continue to 2023.....Nvidia's Supply forecast to shrink by 30% mid-September...and PS5 scalpers raise prices on original model after New Version unveiled showing they cut back on cooling system. And last week i saw something about some Asian Retailers posting a picture and bragging about 50 RTX Video cards for crypto mining...while everyone else is fed a couple to sell saying that's all available....

So yesterday I spent time researching stuff like "Best Pre-Built"..."Razen 7 or Intel i7"...."AMD 6700 or RTX3060"...and "Best Mid-Range Z590 X570 Motherboard"....and my head is ready to pop. Our current PC came from Cyberpower and did an outstanding job; Syber case, Intel i5, GTX1060, Corsair CPU Water Cooler, 16gb ADATA Memory, NVMe and 1TB SSD combo drive on a Gigabyte Z170 MB...

i figured after lloking at Video Card prices all over and talling up the parts if I were to do a build; I'm just going pre-built....and like with Cyberpower they're always running Rebates, Upgrade for free this and that especially this weekend. But I've also looked into Skytech, Origin and even have thrown in the newer Alienware series, R10 and R12. i know with Alienware a lot of their stuff is OEM like the MB but you still can add and change Memory, SSD, Video Card, Fans but its a small form factor while same time it pretty much offers the most inputs ever.

Skyteck I'm not sure of but they offer a wide range but getting detail on parts is not easy. Someone asked not long ago on Amazon 'How many port and types are in the back"...response was parts change and therefore the ports do to. On Cyberpower you can pick the MB and see exactlysounds like you might get what's available...any MB...in that pre-built series. Not keen on that...

So if one was to build or order a PC now with say a Budget of around $1800 give or take...what CPU for best bang performance & costs?.....which Video Card; RTX 3060, 3070 ti, RTX 2060, RX 6700 XT...and MB, I doubt I can add one of those high end boards like Maximus, ROG, Godlike....I think I had one down; Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Elite....

And I'm paying attention to the cases more as one reviewer pointed out on a lot of these pre-builts, it's all glass side and front, where and how is the air suppose to draw in and exit. So I'm looking at Corsair, Phanteks and Lian.
Old 09-06-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

If you get lucky, you can build a decent/great PC with a Ryzen 5600x and a RTX 3060 for around the $1,300 to $1,400 mark. If you don't get lucky with a GPU at msrp, then with scalper prices the build would be around $1,700 at the current market value of a 3060. As I see the scalpers selling them for around $700-800 each which MSRP for most of the AIBs are around $400-$500.

Ryzen 5600x is pretty much the best bang for your buck in terms of gaming at least and the price has dropped back down to normal thankfully. There was a time where they were going for nearly $400 if you could even find them in stock at all... Now they're easily in stock and obtainable for around $275.

I managed to buy a 3060 on my very first trip to Microcenter back in March or April... Then last month EVGA emailed me out of the blue and said I had been selected to buy one after being put on the waitlist last year... So I jumped on it. So for my two 3060s... I paid around $880 total.

The MSI one I got from Microcenter went into my PC of course, but the EVGA one went into my daughters. I put them both to mining when not in use gaming... as they can mine fine with every day usage happening at the same time. This way the cards pay for themselves. I didn't start mining until mid-May but currently up around $500 now so first is paid for itself and the second should have paid for itself by around early December by my estimate.

If you go prebuilt, just know basically all of the companies have differing degrees with issues of the builds. A lot of Dell pre-builts use custom mobos, psu's, etc... that make it incompatible with anything else and thus unable to upgrade the build going forward. In the past some of them like Cyberpower would actually hot glue cables to the mobo so they wouldn't come unplugged. In a slightly more recent review by GamersNexus, Cyberpower didn't even have the hard drive plugged in or formatted, while the CPU cooler didn't fit properly and thus was loose enough to wiggle and not make contact because it was a cheapo brand and obviously led to thermal throttling during tests. So if you're not experienced with figuring out things like that and how to plug stuff in, you might end up with a tech call that leads to them wanting you to ship it back to fix it for you.
Old 09-09-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want a graphics card and are patient, you can enter the Newegg Shuffle. It runs for two hours on most business days. The cards offered in it are usually bundled, but not always. The bundles usually include RAM, motherboard, or SSD, but since you are looking to build, that might be fine for you. Your odds of winning the right to buy aren't great, but you'll get it eventually if you just keep entering every day.
Old 09-09-21, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still don't know which way to go...even entertaining just taking the money and buying a PS5 and XBox Series X thru scalpers and be done with it....still think in the long run getting a PC might be the best....HOWEVER...with the ever changing landscape of better CPU's and the uncertainty of Video Cards...might be better just grab a XBox since it stays the same no matter what.

I still check sites and do the custom build thru the menu and no matter what, where or who...still averages around $2000-$2200....if I Had To Do Now...probably go thru Corsair Site with Corsair Ram, Case, CPU Cooler, SSD, Power Supply...I did chat with them about the Video Card and it's like everyone else; what's available....plus their warranty was a lot better than others.

I was all set with Alienware but after seeing a video....Alienware R10 Ryzen $1800 pre-Built by Gamers Nexus (a month ago with already 1 million Views).....I said no way....seriously, the video will make you laugh and shake your head....I was a bit shocked after seeing lots of positive reviews....

Still check Cyberpower, a new one, CLX, Origin and of course Corsair....no real rush but thanks for the Newegg tip....
Old 09-10-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
If you want a graphics card and are patient, you can enter the Newegg Shuffle. It runs for two hours on most business days. The cards offered in it are usually bundled, but not always. The bundles usually include RAM, motherboard, or SSD, but since you are looking to build, that might be fine for you. Your odds of winning the right to buy aren't great, but you'll get it eventually if you just keep entering every day.
I've been picked for like 3 different shuffles at this point, but just gave the option to buy over to friends who wanted them. Personally I feel like the Shuffles are extremely overpriced... Like the last one I won was a $2,300 bundle for a 3080. Yikes.

Also Newegg getting heat currently for bundling those exploding Gigabyte power supplies knowing they had issues. Basically using the bundles to get rid of bad stock that they needed to dump quickly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Koby:
K&AJones (09-11-21), spainlinx0 (09-10-21)
Old 09-10-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with laptops is the lack of adequate cooling.
If you have the time, I would say try a home built PC. You get less of the useless software that prebuilds come with and you get to pick what you want in it.