Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Nintendo video game console?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Favorite Nintendo video game console?
Nintendo Entertainment System
13.04%
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
39.13%
Nintendo 64
17.39%
Nintendo GameCube
8.70%
Wii
0%
Wii U
0%
Nintendo Switch
17.39%
I don't have a favorite Nintendo video game console.
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-21, 04:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-23-21, 05:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 333 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Favorite Nintendo video game console?

As much as I loved original NES and played some great games. Some of my favs of all time on GCN. Metroid: Prime, RE4, Eternal Darkness. I wish I never unplugged from my tv only months ago. Could have played all PoPs. Ugh. I might have to look into that.
Old 08-23-21, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

OG NES.
It’s not even close. I’d guess N64 would be #2.
Old 08-23-21, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

SNES is probably the one I spent the majority of time on in terms of Nintendo systems.

N64 and GameCube has some really nice memories though.

I never ended up using my Wii very much after the wii-mote motion phase wore off with stuff like Wii Sports.

Never bought a Wii U nor know anyone who ever actually owned one.

Switch I've barely played as I only bought it cause my daughter wanted it and I'm not going to hog it in order to play very much.

I guess if I had to narrow it down to a single favorite... I'd probably give the edge to the N64 because of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Old 08-23-21, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Played since NES. Hands down the Switch. Hybrid console I’ve been waiting for since chasing the seeding sun with my game boy on family road trips.
Old 08-23-21, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

SNES easily.
Old 08-23-21, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 398 Posts

Probably the original NES. Just so much of a variety of games, but especially those first three Super Mario games.
Old 08-23-21, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69 View Post
Played since NES. Hands down the Switch.
Ditto.
Old 08-24-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't know if I can pick just one. Pretty much all of them were/are my favorites except for the Wii and Wii U. I guess if someone had a gun to my head and make me pick one, it would be the SNES. So many good times with that console. 16-bit was such a huge jump from 8-bit games. I still play a few on the Switch online SNES section.
Old 08-24-21, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

To me it's the SNES or NES. I think I'm leaning SNES though. N64 was fine but man I hated that controller and it feels like that era just doesn't hold up to replaying now. Gamecube was great but was at the time my third console. Switch, GBA, and DS/3DS are probably up there as well though.
Old 08-24-21, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 536 Likes on 437 Posts

Of the ones I own I would probably lean towards the NES. That’s what I grew up with, and was the first console I owned.

To be honest at this point the Switch has earned a pretty high spot. It’s the newest, but it’s got a good mix. Lots of fun new stuff, but also classics thrown in too.

Aside from those I liked the Nintendo 64 at the time. It had some fun games, but overall the console doesn’t quite hold up, and doesn’t have the strongest library.

I own a Wii, but really didn’t play a lot of it. Some good games, and a fun console, but it’s got a lot of crap on it.
Old 08-28-21, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts

N64

The NES and SNES libraries hold up a bit better, but the sheer volume of fun memories from couch multiplayer on N64 just dwarfs anything from any other system. I love (and still do) the controller design.

So those would be top 3. Gamecube and WiiU would be middle of the pack with the Wii and Switch bringing up the rear.
Old 08-29-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Five of my favorite games were on the GameCube: Super Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventures, Luigi’s Mansion, and Wind Waker… and the OG version of Animal Crossing!!!
Old 08-29-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 536 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
N64

The NES and SNES libraries hold up a bit better, but the sheer volume of fun memories from couch multiplayer on N64 just dwarfs anything from any other system. I love (and still do) the controller design.

So those would be top 3. Gamecube and WiiU would be middle of the pack with the Wii and Switch bringing up the rear.
I can agree that the N64 holds a place with me and fond memories of playing games.

I played a bunch of Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 with my cousin and brother at my aunt and uncle’s place.

Also once my brother and I got our own N64 we played tons of various wrestling games (WCW/NWO Revenge, WrestleMania 2000, WWF No Mercy, and others). Plus other games like Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2, Star Wars Episode I Racer, Super Mario 64, and others.
Old 08-31-21, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Even though I never actually owned it (aside from the Classic version that was released), easily, hand's-down, the Super Nintendo. Just the game library alone is awesome...I was one of those, that parents bought the Sega Genesis for, as opposed the SNES, but most of my buddies had that system, so I still got to experience and play tons of those games. The only ones I would say were better on the Sega were Mortal Kombat and all of the NHL games...I still loved playing the NHL games on the Genesis...Aside from that, I was usually pretty jealous of my buddies that had the SNES...Mainly for stuff like ​​​​​​​Super Mario World (of course), Final Fantasy III, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Lost in Time...And other stuff like Donkey Kong and whatnot...The '90s were a great time for gaming...And I still loved the N64, but I agree that it hasn't aged very well...But it still had some classics (Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, etc...)...
Old 08-31-21, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 292 Likes on 208 Posts

Snes
Old 08-31-21, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85 View Post
The '90s were a great time for gaming...And I still loved the N64, but I agree that it hasn't aged very well...But it still had some classics (Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, etc...)...
I rebought a N64 and rebuilt my n64 library a couple years ago. Goldeneye is damn near unplayable.
Old 08-31-21, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

I actually got a chance to play Goldeneye at a buddy's house recently (along with Banjo and Donkey Kong 64)...I actually didn't mind it. It hasn't aged great, but I still loved the hell outta playing the Facility level all over again...Also played some Perfect Dark, which was fun...But I really wish I coulda played some of those WCW vs. NWO games...those were a blast to play, back in the day...
Old 08-31-21, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 319 Likes on 232 Posts

Like most here I've been playing since the NES days with my Track and Field system. I'd say objectively the Switch as it's Nintendo's most refined console. But to me there's a huge asterisk with the Switch because so much of it's gaming library is depending on it's overshadowed predecessor the WiiU. Take out any remakes, or straight up re-releases and what games does the Switch really have? Basically Mario Odyssey?

But my vote goes to the SNES. Of course there's a huge heaping of nostalgia blurring my choice but I don't think any era of Nintendo console has held up as well as the SNES. The N64 brought us into the 3rd dimension. The GCN refined a lot of the games we play today, the Wii was a huge experimental era for Nintendo, and of course the original NES ushered in the current era of video games. But the SNES was a perfect intersection of the refinement of pixel based graphics before things really started getting complicated. And the big three, Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Super Metroid all still reign (IMHO) as the very top games of their series.
Old 09-01-21, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
But the SNES was a perfect intersection of the refinement of pixel based graphics before things really started getting complicated. And the big three, Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Super Metroid all still reign (IMHO) as the very top games of their series.
That is a really great comment there. We keep up with the latest consoles at home because there's some modern games the family likes to play, but quite often I find myself using the old NES/SNES apps on my Switch Lite to play classic games because you don't have to keep track of so many little things.
I've talked before about playing Jedi: Fallen Order on the PS4, I liked being in the game, but I hated the back tracking and trying to figure out weird puzzles. Just handhold me through the game and let me use the Force to throw Stormtroopers off of ledges and I'll be happy.

I've also picked up 5 of the mini-classic consoles because of ease of playing older games (though some of the TG-16 games are pretty brutal). I was just thinking the other day that I'd even be interested in buying a classic Sega Master System if they released one.
Old 09-01-21, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

There's just a classic look to good 2d sprite animation, where the Super Nintendo era was "good enough" to still hold up, whereas the first venture into 3d with the N64 games can't really hold up without a lot of nostalgia. That's why when I look back I like the SNES a lot more than the N64 even though at the time the N64 was amazing
Old 09-01-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
There's just a classic look to good 2d sprite animation, where the Super Nintendo era was "good enough" to still hold up, whereas the first venture into 3d with the N64 games can't really hold up without a lot of nostalgia. That's why when I look back I like the SNES a lot more than the N64 even though at the time the N64 was amazing
Yeah, my wife was playing some Switch game on our 60" display the other day, one of those modern farming simulators but done in pixel style, and it looked so gorgeous because the lines were clean and perfectly drawn. There was more detail than a similar SNES game would have had, but it still kept that aesthetic and it was just perfect.