Metroid Dread (Switch; 10/8/21)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Dread (Switch; 10/8/21)

Old 10-15-21, 02:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Metroid Dread (Switch; 10/8/21)

I've opened up three areas/zones/whatever, including some necessary backtracking.
Overall, the game is excellent. I was initially concerned about the "crushing difficulty" comments but those are completely unfounded. There are parts that are hard, sure, but nothing that's too much of a concern.
Old 10-16-21, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

Finally got to put in a bit of time on this game as my special edition finally arrived today! You're right Decker it's huge! I thought it would be the same size as the Link's Awakening special edition which was a tiny book. Haven't opened up the book or the cards yet. The steelbook is really nice. And even the carboard holder has a nice detail of the EMMI molded in it.

Trying to avoid spoilers so didn't read the entire thread. On the subject of price. I see how someone could think that this overpriced especially if you were one of the few who played the excellent Samus Returns. It seems like it uses the same game engine so in some ways it does feel like a sequel to that game and isn't as ground breakingly new as one would expect. That's what I thought when I first saw the game announced. I was ecstatic but slightly disappointed on how similar the game looked to Samus Returns. But after putting a couple hours in to it I think this game more then deserves it's full 1st party pricing. The game looks and plays excellent. I love how seamless the cutscenes are with the actual game play. On the first boss I was in awe of how when you counter and it starts this cutscene sequence how you were still able to fire your missiles "live". I thought that was really cool. I do still have the same issue as I do with Samus Returns in that the control scheme works really well but it's still a bit complicated, especially in the heat of battle. I sometimes hit the wrong shoulder button when trying to aim. It's a more methodical way a Metroid game. Not quite the twitch gaming like pixel based 2D metroid games. Also I really have to get used to the timing of the melee as I miss it a lot. Either that or my reactions are slower in my older age

Has anyone been able to melee an EMMI yet?
Old 10-16-21, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Once I got the timing down I was able to melee them the majority of the time.
Old 10-16-21, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I have yet to melee an EMMI.
Old 10-17-21, 02:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I've been able to melee them, but it's about 50/50 for me.
Old 10-17-21, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And just to clarify there is zero need to melee them. It almost always makes more sense to just let them kill you and start over.
Old 10-17-21, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The antiquated save points are starting to get on my nerves. I'll clear a bunch of the map, maybe pick up a missile expansion or something and stumble into the wrong room and die. Did this earlier and fell into a Kraid boss fight. So I had to clear all the map I already did but find a save point before dropping into Kraid.
Old 10-17-21, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The antiquated save points are starting to get on my nerves. I'll clear a bunch of the map, maybe pick up a missile expansion or something and stumble into the wrong room and die. Did this earlier and fell into a Kraid boss fight. So I had to clear all the map I already did but find a save point before dropping into Kraid.
Haven't gotten that far yet but usually they're pretty good with their level design and have a save point and energy refill area before a big boss.
Old 10-17-21, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Questyen
And just to clarify there is zero need to melee them. It almost always makes more sense to just let them kill you and start over.
I just want to do it once at least. The melee animations are really cool. I'm just glad they spit you back right before going into EMMI territory and not back to a save point. They are pretty intimidating and those sections definitely get my heart rate up a bit.
Old 10-17-21, 11:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished it. About 13.5 hours and loved it.
That final boss was a pain in the ass for me. Easily the hardest part of the whole game, and almost made me quit

Back to EMMIs and melee... I say use them as an opportunity to get the hang of it, because you're going to need that skill for some later encounters.
Old 10-18-21, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

How is the game's soundtrack? I always loved the music of Metroid.
Old 10-18-21, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Why? Dying to bosses just drops you into the room before them with everything you had. Save points in this game are basically only for when you close out of the game and re-load.
Old 10-18-21, 09:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by parrotheads4
How is the game's soundtrack? I always loved the music of Metroid.
I think it's great. I think the opening prologue has maybe the worst music, thematically, but the music throughout the game is pretty tense and enjoyable.

Originally Posted by Noonan
Why? Dying to bosses just drops you into the room before them with everything you had. Save points in this game are basically only for when you close out of the game and re-load.
I think that's exactly it. Sometimes you just want to quit the game right before the boss battle, but in order to do that, you have to back track to an official save point. Not a huge deal, but annoying. Putting a save point closer to each boss would have been 'better' but also far less stressful

I had one point in the game where I actually got 'stuck' and had to revert to a save point. It was
Spoiler:
An underwater section before you get the gravity suit, and you have to blast away at one section to make a giant thing fall to break into a new path out. When I blasted it, only two of the pieces of ground broke off, and it was impossible to blast the third. After restarting and doing that whole 5 minute section again, I was able to blast it without issue. Really weird that it happened at all.

Old 10-18-21, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did lose like an hour of progress once. I was going around clearing the map and got like 5 upgrades and then without saving dropped into a room where I had to fight and then when I died I was back at a save room and all that progress I had made was gone. There are save rooms all over so I learned to make sure I was saving regularly after that.
Old 10-18-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
Just finished it. About 13.5 hours and loved it.
That final boss was a pain in the ass for me. Easily the hardest part of the whole game, and almost made me quit

Back to EMMIs and melee... I say use them as an opportunity to get the hang of it, because you're going to need that skill for some later encounters.
On the final boss just like the regular bosses it's really just learning what you are supposed to do. The first 5 times I could barely make it past his first form but once it clicked I would make it through each form pretty much untouched. I didn't find it to be anymore difficult then any other bosses other than you need to learn each form.
Old 10-18-21, 11:01 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

The problem I had with the final boss was the transition between their 1st and 2nd forms. There's some QTEs you seem to have to hit just right, but it didn't seem to have the same obvious indicator for each one after the first melee prompt. 2nd and 3rd forms were tough but fair, which is how I'd describe all of the boss fights, really.
Old 10-18-21, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I did lose like an hour of progress once. I was going around clearing the map and got like 5 upgrades and then without saving dropped into a room where I had to fight and then when I died I was back at a save room and all that progress I had made was gone. There are save rooms all over so I learned to make sure I was saving regularly after that.
this is right, normal deaths take you back to save point. EMMI deaths take you back to the last EMMI door you entered, though.
Old 10-19-21, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Finally started last night and put an hour in. Love it, and makes me want more 2D Metroid games. The melee was first seen in Other M I believe. Which I would not mind a remake/port of, since I am probably the only fan

Last edited by stingermck; 10-19-21 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-21-21, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't think I'd be that impressed with the graphics but I am. I thought it was pretty much Samus Returns but I think the graphics engine got a major overhaul. You can really tell when you get the omega cannon and the perspective shifts when you're taking out an EMMI. I'm pretty impressed that the cutscenes all seem to be using the gaming engine and not prerendered. Either that or they make the transition so seemless that you can't tell.
Old 10-25-21, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Definitely enjoying it, but man do I die a lot. Much harder than any game I've played in quite a while. Or maybe I'm just getting old LOL.
Old 10-25-21, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

yeah, I'm Samus fucking Aran, why does she suck so bad? I'm finally up to 5 or 6 energy tanks and closing in on a 100 missiles and I'm just now starting to feel like a badass, kinda. The EMMIs still fucking suck and the worst part of the game.
Old 10-28-21, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

This now has a demo available in the eShop.
Old 10-28-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
This now has a demo available in the eShop.
I gave the demo a chance a played it for quite awhile and all I can say is I'm glad I didn't purchase the game. I feel it's for hardcore gamers only and that's just not me. I prefer games I can just pick up and play and not get so frustrated. Maybe if it weren't $79.99 CND I'd reconsider, but there's not way I'd pay that much for a game that drives me crazy. I don't have the patience. Sometimes I got other things to do and I just wanna pick up and play a game for a few hours when I get a chance, but I just had to shut this one off. Even early on, I was amazed at how often I was killed...
Old 10-28-21, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's what's weird about Dread to me. Metroid as a franchise has never been a "hardcore gamer" type of game to me. They've all been about exploring the world with an occasional boss battle.
Old 10-28-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's what's weird about Dread to me. Metroid as a franchise has never been a "hardcore gamer" type of game to me. They've all been about exploring the world with an occasional boss battle.
The original Metroid, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion are all harder games than Dread.
The following users liked this post:
stingermck (10-28-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.