Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Mario Kart turns 30 next year. Will Nintendo announce Mario Kart 9 to celebrate?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Super Mario Kart turns 30 next year. Will Nintendo announce Mario Kart 9 to celebrate?

Old 03-22-22, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: Super Mario Kart turns 30 next year. Will Nintendo announce Mario Kart 9 to celebrate?

It's for the entire shebang.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (03-26-22)
Old 03-24-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts
Re: Super Mario Kart turns 30 next year. Will Nintendo announce Mario Kart 9 to celebrate?

Originally Posted by tanman
Maybe a dumb question I don’t know but this is Nintendo. Is $25 the upgrade price for all the waves of courses to be released or just wave 1? That’s be hella pricy if it’s just for wave 1 but then again each character pack in SSB was sold individually…
It's for all courses. 48 in all for $25 bucks is a good deal in my book.
tanman (03-26-22)
Old 03-26-22, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
It's for all courses. 48 in all for $25 bucks is a good deal in my book.
Which is exactly why I hesitated when it came time to pay for it. I mean they were charging $25 for just the first fighter pass collection of 5 fighters in SSB. So even though it seems steep I can see them charging for each wave. I really think the true impetus for them to do these tracks is because they’re so desperate for content for their expansion pass. So far I’m dodging it and have just outright purchased both the AC and MK expansions. I really hate subscription based pricing models. At least when it’s not a value based proposition and so far the expansion pass is not. IMO.
Old 03-26-22, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

So far the first wave is…neat. I will admit I was pretty blown away by the Ninja course and all the parallel paths in the course. And the Paris and Tokyo courses are pretty cool how they change and transform. But I doubt it if any of them will be my favorite courses going down the road. Also they seem to be relatively easy courses. I three starred them on 200cc on my first try where as I don’t think I’ve three starred any other cups in 200cc. I was just satisfied to gold cup them. I wasn’t too fond of how chaotic and random it ended up being at that speed.

also I’m pretty disappointed with the graphics for the course pack. They seem hardly upgraded compared to MK Tour and not nearly at the level of detail compared with any of the other courses in MK 8.

Last edited by tanman; 03-26-22 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-03-22, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So I've been having fun with this again the last few weeks but am quickly realizing why I quit playing it on the WiiU. The rubber-banding is just fucking asinine in this game and they apparently didn't tweak it for the Switch. I've 3 starred the 50cc, 100cc and all but one cup of the 150cc. The cup I'm stuck on I've done at least a dozen times. The story is always the same. First course, 1st place. Second course, 1st place. Third course, 1st place. Final course, 1st place up to the last stretch where I'm hammered with blue, red and green shells as I'm passed by multiple carts. It's not the only course that I've had that outcome but it's glaring having played nothing but that course for the last day.

Other complaint, there are a half dozen items I have yet to get when I'm in the bottom of the pack. I've probably run hundreds of races at this point and have yet to get the Lightning Bolt, Blue shell, bullet bill, blooper, crazy 8 and golden mushroom (which I didn't know existed until I looked at the item page today). I've gotten all these items for a combined grand total of 0 times. Fucking zero. I got a star for the first time yesterday. All the previous games at least gave you a small chance at any of these items even if you're in one of the top spots. MK8? Nope. Coins, bananas and green shells are all that's in the cards for anyone in the top 3 spots.

I still a half dozen other gripes carried over from the WiiU version that are still present, but it is what it is since we aren't getting another one for the foreseeable future with all these maps coming out.

Anyway, that's enough for a 10 year old game. I was bored.
Old 07-28-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

And what's on there...?

TURNIP CUP
Tour New York Minute (Mario Kart Tour)
SNES Mario Circuit 3 (Super Mario Kart)
N64 Kalimari Desert (Mario Kart 64)
DS Waluigi Pinball (Mario Kart DS)

PROPELLER CUP
Tour Sydney Sprint (Mario Kart Tour)
GBA Snow Land (Mario Kart: Super Circuit)
Wii Mushroom Gorge (Mario Kart Wii)
Sky-High Sundae

That's right! Sky-High Sundae is a brand-new track. (And it'll be added to MK Tour later as well.)
E Unit (07-28-22)
Old 07-28-22, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Are there any of the Arcade courses in the game? I've never paid close enough attention. They should add a few of those.
Old 07-28-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Do I have to pay for switch online to play the DLC or can I just buy the tracks and be okay?
Old 07-28-22, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope. Just buy the $25 DLC pack.
Old 12-01-22, 04:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 12-05-22, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I forget if I payed for all 6 waves or not.
I know I payed for wave 1 & 2, but I thought that was it - didn't know where were gonna be 4 more waves after that.
Old 12-05-22, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel like for $25 I should definitely get this
Old 03-09-23, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Fruit Cup:
Tour Amsterdam Drift
GBA Riverside Park
Wii DK Summit
Yoshi’s Island

Boomerang Cup:
Tour Bangkok Rush
DS Mario Circuit
GCN Waluigi Stadium
Tour Singapore Speedway

The new Yoshi's Island course is fantastic. Also finally added another character "Birdo" and the menu now has 5 open slots for more characters in the next waves.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Questyen:
Michael Corvin (03-10-23), steebo777 (03-10-23)
Old 03-10-23, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like having all these added courses!
Old 03-10-23, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't tried Wave 3 yet, but I too like that they're finally expanding the game beyond the WiiU port it began as.
Old 03-11-23, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Hope they add Pac-Man as a playable character down the road.
steebo777 (03-14-23)
Old 03-11-23, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

Finally got some time to download the new tracks and I'm digging them. 65 bucks for 96 tracks is a deal. Black Birdo is sick.
The following 2 users liked this post by GatorDeb:
steebo777 (03-14-23), The Spectre (03-14-23)