Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What game disappointed you the most? (on any console, generation, pc, etc.)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-23-21, 08:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts

As mentioned in other thread...I loved the hell out of Modern Warfare 1-3 (2 being my favorite). Played and beat all and will do so again with first 2 new remastered games. Was very psyched about this latest Modern Warfare, called just that. And, it was so short. I beat in like 2 weekends or maybe 2 days of playing maybe 2 hours each. It was just very disappointing, very easy and very non-memorable. It was ridiculous. I could not believe it was over. Do I know anything about plot or what about? Hell no. Over in a blink.
Old 04-23-21, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: What game disappointed you the most? (on any console, generation, pc, etc.)

Cyberpunk has to be on that short list.
Old 04-23-21, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 152 Likes on 111 Posts

Pac-Man - Atari 2600
The following 2 users liked this post by The Cow:
andicus (04-25-21), Michael Corvin (04-24-21)
Old 04-24-21, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 432 Likes on 294 Posts

X-Men (NES) was the first video game I ever asked for as a Christmas gift, and more than thirty years later, the disappointment still stings.

The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
story (04-24-21), Toddarino (04-28-21)
Old 04-24-21, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I know of three off hand...each had awesome trailers and video before coming out...got the game and stopped playing soon afterward....

Brink...awesome trailer, great looking, lots of potential...but absolutely the wrost hardest AI we've ever encountered...and when the group died, you had to start over at the beginning and I mean EVERYONE died alot and players just stopped playing....

Chaosbane....when announce and showned, it fit the "Diablo Style" to a Tee with a lot of Diablo Fans eager for new stuff, the game had promise and expectations...All The Gameplay Trailers looked almost out of Diablo...but when played the actual game, it was no-where near or close to what everyone saw; not even close to Diablo or Path of Exile...it was a light, light water-down version....after 2-3 weeks community and even trying to find coop players was gone....

This one probably stung the most...especially after several of us completed "Ghost Recon - Wildlands" which was just a blast and fun ride...a lot of hype and expectations with a stunning trailer...I and others Pre-Ordered...did the Demo, played two days and cancelled the PO...not even close to the hype and all or to Wildlands...gameplay, visuals and all a long with bugs galore were a downgrade...other three friends stopped playing two months later...

Old 04-24-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 375 Likes on 273 Posts

Saved up my allowance, birthday, lawnmowing and any money I could find for one of these bad boys. $75 Pretty damn pricey at the time. Everyone knows how that turned out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
K&AJones (04-26-21), steebo777 (04-27-21)
Old 04-24-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 335 Likes on 251 Posts

Cuphead. Iím a fan of the old style animation and was looking forward to a fun romp in cartoon land instead it was a brutal shooter that I spent about 20 minutes on and havenít touched since.
Old 04-27-21, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

It universally loved, but mine will always be Resident Evil 4. Took the story in a direction it has never recovered from. Its a convoluted mess and I will never understand the love for it.
Old 04-27-21, 09:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

Fallout 4. Maybe it was just too much fallout, but I started it, played maybe ten hours, and just could not get into it at all. This is in contrast to 3 and New Vegas, both of which I had an absolute blast with.
Old 04-27-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought an NES game Mystery Quest
way back when, I think cause I couldnít find a copy of Mario 3. It was terrible. I donít think I could get past the first level.

Apparently I can get $20 for it on eBay.

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
I know of three off hand...each had awesome trailers and video before coming out...got the game and stopped playing soon afterward....

Brink...awesome trailer, great looking, lots of potential...but absolutely the wrost hardest AI we've ever encountered...and when the group died, you had to start over at the beginning and I mean EVERYONE died alot and players just stopped playing....

Chaosbane....when announce and showned, it fit the "Diablo Style" to a Tee with a lot of Diablo Fans eager for new stuff, the game had promise and expectations...All The Gameplay Trailers looked almost out of Diablo...but when played the actual game, it was no-where near or close to what everyone saw; not even close to Diablo or Path of Exile...it was a light, light water-down version....after 2-3 weeks community and even trying to find coop players was gone....

This one probably stung the most...especially after several of us completed "Ghost Recon - Wildlands" which was just a blast and fun ride...a lot of hype and expectations with a stunning trailer...I and others Pre-Ordered...did the Demo, played two days and cancelled the PO...not even close to the hype and all or to Wildlands...gameplay, visuals and all a long with bugs galore were a downgrade...other three friends stopped playing two months later...
Oh man, I was burned by Brink. I convinced my friends to get it based on the trailer and it was TERRIBLE. They still remind me about it.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (04-27-21)
Old 04-27-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 297 Posts

Looking back on it I would somewhat say Batman: Arkham Knight. Not a bad game, but the first two by Rocksteady are much better. It was also the game that made me buy at that time a new console (Xbox One).
Old 04-27-21, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I bought an NES game Mystery Quest
way back when, I think cause I couldnít find a copy of Mario 3. It was terrible. I donít think I could get past the first level.

Apparently I can get $20 for it on eBay.

Oh man, I was burned by Brink. I convinced my friends to get it based on the trailer and it was TERRIBLE. They still remind me about it.

I just couldn't resit a ...walk down memory lane for good old times sake....enjoy.....

Old 04-30-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Cuphead. Iím a fan of the old style animation and was looking forward to a fun romp in cartoon land instead it was a brutal shooter that I spent about 20 minutes on and havenít touched since.
To be fair the insane difficulty was mentioned in all previews and reviews of the game so it's not like it was a surprise. I could tell with the difficulty that it wasn't going to be a game for me but I still bought it to support the studio since I loved the art style.
Old 04-30-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm still trying to think, but the first one that comes to mind is
Crackdown (pretty good!) to Crackdown 2 (what happened) to Crackdown 3 (we waited for this?)
Old 04-30-21, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 375 Likes on 273 Posts

Oh gawd,.I forgot all about Crackdown 2. Huge disappointment.
Old 05-01-21, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 162 Likes on 137 Posts

I really liked the concept of God of War on PS3 but it was way too much button-mashing for me.
Old 05-06-21, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Three that come to mind are:

Cyberpunk. Played for an hour, realized how broken it was and shelved it. Will return in maybe a year in hopes its in a better state, and when i have a PS5.

Just Cause 3: After the superb part 2 was hoping this would expand on it. A last second change from an online game to a stand alone, and lazy design put paid to that.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint: as already mentioned, Wildlands was superb and great multiplayer fun. This was a hollow mess with many bad decisions and inferior in every way. I too had it on preorder, played the Beta amd cancelled it. Picked the game up 2 weeks after release for $15, and in the hopes they could salvage it somehow. Hardly ever check in it anymore. Bring on next gen Wild Lands 2.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (05-06-21)