Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So, do you like the newest generation console? (PS5, XSX)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: So, do you like the newest generation console? (PS5, XSX)
Yes.
84.62%
No.
7.69%
Other. (please specify...)
7.69%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-21, 07:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts

Well, many of us have it now for awhile. Overall, are you happy with whichever one you have?

I think so. It’s mostly the speeds and have yet, knock on wood, had any crashes, weirdness, nothing. Smooth sailing. Though I am disappointed not a single launch title, not sure if PS5 had (maybe Ghosts of Tushima?) but I’m not sure. Maybe AC: Valhalla but not sure. But, next Halo should have launched with XSX, flat out! So little disappointed in that but this quick resume and quickness of loads, since I die, a lot, has been a pleasure.

so what you think?

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-20-21 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 432 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: So, do you like the newest generation console? (PS5, XSX)

As Iíd expect so shortly after launch, neither of the new consoles feel revolutionary quite yet, but Iím happy enough. It takes a year or two for new consoles to really pull away from the previous gen. But I appreciate the improvements in load times, I can feel the boosts in visual quality, and other niceties ó DualSense, Auto-HDR, Smart Resume (or whatever itís called) ó are definitely appreciated.
Old 04-20-21, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 297 Posts

Thatís why I tend to wait. Thereís no reason to rush and buy a new console for the most part other than to say you have the shiny new thing. I bought my Switch on release, but I also hadnít had a new Nintendo console since the Wii, and plus it seemed (and turned out being) unique/fun so I figured why not.
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (04-22-21)
Old 04-20-21, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
That’s why I tend to wait. There’s no reason to rush and buy a new console for the most part other than to say you have the shiny new thing. I bought my Switch on release, but I also hadn’t had a new Nintendo console since the Wii, and plus it seemed (and turned out being) unique/fun so I figured why not.
but, like the Switch, it’s not going to change radically. Same innards. Perhaps they’ll make smaller, but still power and stuff not changing. Maybe a patch here and there, but rare for new consoles. So, what’s the difference waiting if you’re going to get it anyway?
Old 04-20-21, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
but, like the Switch, itís not going to change radically. Same innards. Perhaps theyíll make smaller, but still power and stuff not changing. Maybe a patch here and there, but rare for new consoles. So, whatís the difference waiting if youíre going to get it anyway?
I just decided to get it. A bunch of my friends went out and waited at Walmart for the midnight release, and that was something I hadnít done before so I just figured, why not? I have no complaints as itís turned out to be one of my favorite consoles of all time, and even if the rumored new version releases someday Iíll probably get it and keep the other as a spare.
Old 04-20-21, 08:55 PM

What’s so good about Switch? Curious...
Old 04-20-21, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 152 Likes on 111 Posts

I like and play our PS5, but the Switch still gets the grand majority of our gaming time.
Old 04-20-21, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whatís so good about Switch? Curious...
I like first party Nintendo games is a big reason. I also like that itís versatile and I can play it in handheld or on my tv (although I play it in handheld mode probably 99% of the time). Itís nice to be able to easily take it with me places if I want to, and itís a step up from other handheld consoles in terms of the types of games it plays. Plus my girlfriend has a Switch Lite now too so I can share games with her.
Old 04-21-21, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 465 Posts

Yeah, I bought both next gen systems and the switch gets 10x the amount of playing time as they do, I think mainly because of the kids and the lack of games on next gen that weren't there previous gen. Plus the lack of sales. I'd play Miles Morales or even the Dark Souls remake but they are never on sale.
Old 04-21-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 103 Posts

Whatís so good about Switch? Curious...
If you're not into handheld (like me) the only reason to own any Nintendo console is to play first party Nintendo games. It's a damn good reason though.

I don't buy any cross platform games on the Switch.
Old 04-21-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm happy enough with my X1X if only for the lightning fast load times. Is it a $500 upgrade over my old Xbox? No... but that's not the point just yet. I suspect there is still a ton of unlocked potential in there and I really hope Microsoft embraces VR at some point.

That said, I do have a small issue with my X1X where it'll just turn off while playing CoD Cold Ops with my son. Only happens playing that game. I really do look forward to getting a PS5 someday. I have Miles Morales just sitting on the shelf
Old 04-21-21, 07:25 PM

^ Are you talking about the Series X? Or that new Xbox One that came out late in that gen?
Old 04-21-21, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
If you're not into handheld (like me) the only reason to own any Nintendo console is to play first party Nintendo games. It's a damn good reason though.

I don't buy any cross platform games on the Switch.
I don’t do handheld ever, but I was always a Nintendo guy. Had every one till GameCube. Loved em all. Fond memories of so many. Had the Cube hooked up at one point, but took it down. I would love to play the Metroid's (was there 3 Primes? I only played and finished 1, twice. Played a bit of Echoes, really just more of same with the addition of light/dark thing). Eternal Darkness (one of favorite ever), RE4 (the only console I can play it on. Doesn’t feel same on any Xbox. Just felt so different). But, I finished that game maybe a dozen or more times in so many, almost, infinite ways. Loved that game so much. My #1 favorite perhaps.

But always Nintendo fan boy, but once I went 360, mostly for Halo games, especially Combat Evolved,never looked back. The mostly mature games, the I think vastly superior catalog, I never went back. It would just be got the nostalgia. Nothing new has really caught my eye with Switch, not that I’ve been paying that close attention. I just want to sit/lay in man cave and play anything and everything.

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-21-21 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-22-21, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

I only have one ps5 game that I play and that’s Hitman 3. I own Nba and Spider-Man man, but I’m trying to sell them. I had to buy them for the bundle.
Im not overly impressed so far. I mostly upgraded since my PS4 was full and I was sick of fucking around with storage. That and the controllers were dying.
If there was a fix for my unreadable disc issue I’d be much happier.
Old 04-22-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

^ Are you talking about the Series X? Or that new Xbox One that came out late in that gen?
Series X
OldBoy (04-22-21)
Old 04-22-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I only have one ps5 game that I play and thatís Hitman 3. I own Nba and Spider-Man man, but Iím trying to sell them. I had to buy them for the bundle.
Im not overly impressed so far. I mostly upgraded since my PS4 was full and I was sick of fucking around with storage. That and the controllers were dying.
If there was a fix for my unreadable disc issue Iíd be much happier.
But you could argue the storage problem is even worse with the PS5 (depending on how paranoid you are about standby and external HDDs).
Old 04-22-21, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

That’s true. At least my next four games to purchase are PS4. Ghosts of Tsushima, Cyberpunk and Mass Effect. Currently playing remastered LA Noire that’s installed on my external hard drive. It was a birthday gift I received after I got my Ps5.
Old 04-22-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I do like it a lot (PS5) but agree the lack of 1-2 big launch titles really took away some of the luster. The speeds are obv. better, but you get used to them pretty quickly. Like when HD first came out, it was amazing; now it just looks like normal. Kinda the same here. Also, the storage deficit sucks big time, at least for me. But it's much faster and much quieter, and now that I've just now changed mine to matte black, I'm good to go.
OldBoy (04-22-21)
Old 04-29-21, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 251 Likes on 184 Posts

I donít do handheld ever, but I was always a Nintendo guy. Had every one till GameCube. Loved em all. Fond memories of so many. Had the Cube hooked up at one point, but took it down. I would love to play the Metroid's (was there 3 Primes? I only played and finished 1, twice. Played a bit of Echoes, really just more of same with the addition of light/dark thing). Eternal Darkness (one of favorite ever), RE4 (the only console I can play it on. Doesnít feel same on any Xbox. Just felt so different). But, I finished that game maybe a dozen or more times in so many, almost, infinite ways. Loved that game so much. My #1 favorite perhaps.

But always Nintendo fan boy, but once I went 360, mostly for Halo games, especially Combat Evolved,never looked back. The mostly mature games, the I think vastly superior catalog, I never went back. It would just be got the nostalgia. Nothing new has really caught my eye with Switch, not that Iíve been paying that close attention. I just want to sit/lay in man cave and play anything and everything.
You've missed out on a lot then.
Old 04-29-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 251 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
As Iíd expect so shortly after launch, neither of the new consoles feel revolutionary quite yet, but Iím happy enough. It takes a year or two for new consoles to really pull away from the previous gen. But I appreciate the improvements in load times, I can feel the boosts in visual quality, and other niceties ó DualSense, Auto-HDR, Smart Resume (or whatever itís called) ó are definitely appreciated.
This seems to be a somewhat recent thing. In the past it was the games that really made you want a new system. Nobody cared about the box itself let alone any features that it had. Now it seems like a major driving force of early adopting a new console is just FOMO. Speaking as someone who doesn't own either yet this generation in particular seems to lack any killer games and confuses things even more by just having enhanced versions of previous gen titles. Are there any must play games that are exclusive to either console yet?
Old 04-29-21, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
You've missed out on a lot then.
eh, what I donít know, canít hurt me.
Old 04-29-21, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 432 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Are there any must play games that are exclusive to either console yet?
Xbox - no noteworthy exclusives yet that arenít also cross-gen. Just The Medium.

PS5 - Astroís Playroom is the best of the exclusives Iíve played (and itís a pack-in!). Destruction AllStars would in theory be more my wifeís thing, but she couldnít get into it. Demonís Souls (which I count as a PS5 exclusive since it was remade from the ground-up with the console in mind rather than a port/remaster) and Returnal are very well-regarded, although I havenít played either myself yet.

And while I definitely get what youíre saying about games-first, we didnít exactly get cream of the crop exclusives out of the gate last time around either. Off the top of my head, it was Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Knack, Killzone: Shadow Fall, and Forza Motorsport 5, right? I own all of those except Ryse and honestly enjoyed them, but how many people were really frothing at the mouth, hellbent on buying a console for that lineup in particular?

For me, thereís an element of gotta-get-the-new-shiny-thing, Iíll admit. But more importantly, I also want to experience games I like ó exclusives or otherwise ó at the highest possible quality (without having to futz with a PC, anyway), which I guess is a spillover from home theater nerd-dom. I did feel a twinge of ďshould I have bought this?Ē early last gen, but Iím not really getting that this time, and cross-gen titles playing so much better are a key factor in that.
tanman (05-01-21)