Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Life is Strange: True Colors (Sept. 10, 2021)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Life is Strange: True Colors (Sept. 10, 2021)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Life is Strange: True Colors (Sept. 10, 2021)

Completely stand alone. It's fine to have never played either of those.
Old 01-19-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

How is #2? I never got around to that one. It didn't sound as interesting as the original or this one.
Old 01-19-22, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Well, I didn't plan on powering through the game tonight but I finished Chapter 4 and ... WTH? That's a helluva cliffhanger. So I had to keep going. What an emotional ride. I didn't think it'd be possible to top the original, but I believe they did. Questyen summed it up pretty well in his GOTY thread, so I won't retread other than expounding on Decker's nugget:

If anyone is reading that hasn't played DO NOT READ Decker's spoiler
Originally Posted by Decker
Spoiler:
Yeah I did the same. It's the wrong choice and it will still come back to (slightly) bite you in the ass at least once later on. After I had finished the game, I was in Game Stop (yuck) and they had a video on previewing True Colors and they kinda vaguely but not really mentioned that you will have this decision to make and how your seemingly kind decision will have unforseen consequences. "Depriving a character their ability to grieve and move on" . I heard them say that and thought "Well that certainly wasn't apparent to me while I was playing the game".

The bolded part is huge and it all goes back to the beginning of the game.
Spoiler:
Very early in the game someone tells Alex to be truthful with herself and her feelings or something to that extent. That hit me right away. I was very cognizant of that so every choice I made was truthful to Alex or my own feelings playing through Alex's eyes. Never once did I think about being truthful to any of the NPC's feelings because I was too focused on Alex. Charlotte was the big one. Her "truth" was that she needed to grieve and I denied her that. Similar with Eleanor. She needed to process having Alzheimer's as her "truth" and I denied her as well by not reminding her of Gabe. Just a brilliant way to get across the point, don't mess with people's emotions no matter how well intentioned.

I guess the big four are Duckie, Pike, Charlotte and Eleanor. The smaller random townfolk interactions aren't as consequential. I assume one could play the entire game as passive (at least in regards to those four characters) and not toy with their emotions and that would be the "correct" ending. Although, I'm not sure how you could mess up Duckie's part.

That lesson was totally lost on me when playing and I appreciate the game not spelling it out like most games would. It's a smarter and richer game for it.
Old 01-19-22, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
How is #2? I never got around to that one. It didn't sound as interesting as the original or this one.
It's good just not as good as the rest of the series. Because it had the nerve to talk about immigrants and illegal immigration when Trump had been getting people riled up over those issues it had the typical sections of the gaming community bashing and review bombing it.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (01-20-22)
Old 04-05-22, 09:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Coming to Game Pass on April 12th.
​​​​​​

I finished the original game and Before The Storm, but never finished LiS2. I should try to get to that, but I'm not sure it's relevant for True Colors, other than some Easter eggs.... maybe?
Old 03-25-23, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I finished this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I'm not a math major but things don't quite add up.
Spoiler:
When their dad left Alex was around 11 years old. When she arrives in Haven to be with her brother she is supposed to be 21. At the end of the game you find out their father died in the mining accident 12 years ago. The timeline doesn't add up. Also, what are the odds that the son and daughter end up in the same small mining town their father fled to and subsequently died in?

Old 03-25-23, 11:01 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I'm playing this now and really enjoying it. The kids think it's cool and help me make decisions. I told them I want Alex to be as honest as possible with people, that's my default "mindset" for the character. So far, so good. This was on sale for $12 on PS4 disc at Amazon last month, by the way.

This game is the most Generation Z thing I've ever experienced!
Old 03-25-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's included right now with the Extra tier on PS Plus along with Life Is Strange 2. Most of my gaming the past month or so has been Extra tier games.
Old 03-25-23, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I believe it's on Game Pass. I bought it during a Black Friday sale. I might have to start playing it since everyone's playing it now. Do you have to play any of the previous Life is Strange games before starting this one?
Old 03-25-23, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I believe it's on Game Pass. I bought it during a Black Friday sale. I might have to start playing it since everyone's playing it now. Do you have to play any of the previous Life is Strange games before starting this one?
No it's standalone so you can play it without knowledge of the other games.
lwhy? (03-25-23)
Old 03-25-23, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
No it's standalone so you can play it without knowledge of the other games.
Great! Thanks!
Old 03-26-23, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Life is Strange 2 and Life is Strange: True Colors are standalone stories with just easter egg level connections to the world of the original game. Life is Strange: Before the Storm is a prequel to the original Life is Strange.
lwhy? (03-26-23)
Old 03-26-23, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Life is Strange 2 is pretty good so far. I'm close to the end of the second chapter.