Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Old 08-24-21, 06:28 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,701
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

These scores are right about where I expected them to be. I needed this game to be good, not great, and it sounds like thatís what Iím getting, and Iím stoked. Really hoping to get some time this weekend to play this.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (08-24-21)
Old 08-24-21, 06:48 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 56,341
Received 1,929 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
These scores are right about where I expected them to be. I needed this game to be good, not great, and it sounds like thatís what Iím getting, and Iím stoked. Really hoping to get some time this weekend to play this.
Out of curiosity : Why did you need this game to not be great?
Old 08-24-21, 08:46 PM
  #28  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,136
Received 321 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
These scores are right about where I expected them to be. I needed this game to be good, not great, and it sounds like thatís what Iím getting, and Iím stoked. Really hoping to get some time this weekend to play this.
before I go in, I may have 2 other takers. I think they might. Iím not big on online, but this could be fun and so nostalgic!!! Iím gonna see the longer cut to get more info.
Old 08-24-21, 08:47 PM
  #29  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,136
Received 321 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It's $33.88 at Walmart for both next-gen systems
Xbox Series S/X

PS5
eh, $6.00 more for digital is so worth it.
Old 08-26-21, 12:58 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,701
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Out of curiosity : Why did you need this game to not be great?

Just meant that I didnít need this to score 9s and 10s for me to still be interested.
Old 08-28-21, 07:35 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 8,242
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

For those who are a bit more along...how is it, about what you thought...along what the reviews are saying....more pros to game or more cons?....for the most part it seemed most of the reviews are averaging around 7-10...a 8 here and there and some 6-6.5's in the mix. Almost all said the beginning and early on was bad but got better....combat, upgrades, various weapon types all fun but repetitive and some areas used over again.
Old 09-03-21, 09:00 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,701
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
For those who are a bit more along...how is it, about what you thought...along what the reviews are saying....more pros to game or more cons?....for the most part it seemed most of the reviews are averaging around 7-10...a 8 here and there and some 6-6.5's in the mix. Almost all said the beginning and early on was bad but got better....combat, upgrades, various weapon types all fun but repetitive and some areas used over again.
👆👆👆

All true. Iíve put maybe 8-10 hrs into this game this week, and I think it whips ass. Iím really enjoying it.

But multiplayer matchmaking is simply broken. In all my time playing, Iíve been able to match with other players exactly one time. The rest of the time Iím playing with bots, who are actually pretty good, but in later levels they just are not as effective as I need them to be.

The game has four main missions, with each broken into three checkpoints, which are essentially mini-missions themselves. You return to your ship after each one to change your load out, upgrade abilities, etc.

The game is pretty challenging (playing with bots prob doesnít make it any easier no matter how capable they are). Itís easy to become overwhelmed by enemies, especially when bullet sponge elites show up, and at that point once you or a teammate are down itís very difficult to revive.

As much as Iím enjoying myself, Iím going to put this down until matchmaking is fixed. Iím at the final checkpoint of the third mission, and my bot friends and I just canít make it through the final wave of enemies. I could probably lower the difficulty or use a modifier to make things easier, but that feels like cheating to me.

I think this is a really good game for the price, but Iíd bet it there will be some substantial sales on this thing this year, and I would not be shocked to see it as a free game on PlayStation or Epic at some point.

Old 09-03-21, 07:49 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,701
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Well I figured out how to get matchmaking to work (leave lobby, rejoin lobby, leave lobby, rejoin lobby, etc) and have played the last several checkpoints with random players. Itís been really fun. Much easier.

The map Iím on now is very cool (spoiled it just in case it hasnít been in any promo material), although the enemies feel more like generic sfi-if video game enemies than Xenomorphs. Kind of a bummer but weíll see where things go in this last mission.
Spoiler:
Inside an Alien ship.


Hoping to wrap up the final mission tonight.
Old 09-05-21, 12:17 AM
  #34  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,136
Received 321 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
👆👆👆

All true. Iíve put maybe 8-10 hrs into this game this week, and I think it whips ass. Iím really enjoying it.

But multiplayer matchmaking is simply broken. In all my time playing, Iíve been able to match with other players exactly one time. The rest of the time Iím playing with bots, who are actually pretty good, but in later levels they just are not as effective as I need them to be.

The game has four main missions, with each broken into three checkpoints, which are essentially mini-missions themselves. You return to your ship after each one to change your load out, upgrade abilities, etc.

The game is pretty challenging (playing with bots prob doesnít make it any easier no matter how capable they are). Itís easy to become overwhelmed by enemies, especially when bullet sponge elites show up, and at that point once you or a teammate are down itís very difficult to revive.

As much as Iím enjoying myself, Iím going to put this down until matchmaking is fixed. Iím at the final checkpoint of the third mission, and my bot friends and I just canít make it through the final wave of enemies. I could probably lower the difficulty or use a modifier to make things easier, but that feels like cheating to me.

I think this is a really good game for the price, but Iíd bet it there will be some substantial sales on this thing this year, and I would not be shocked to see it as a free game on PlayStation or Epic at some point.
so playing solo, with bots ain't too bad huh?
Old 09-05-21, 04:10 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,701
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
so playing solo, with bots ain't too bad huh?
Its not bad at first but it gets pretty tough midway through the campaign, even at the default difficulty.
Old 09-05-21, 07:32 PM
  #36  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,136
Received 321 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Thx. Maybe easy is better and more enjoyable, you think?
Old 09-05-21, 08:42 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 56,341
Received 1,929 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

It's hard on Easy once it ramps up.
Old 09-05-21, 09:32 PM
  #38  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,136
Received 321 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Aliens: Fireteam (2021, PC, Playstation, Xbox)

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It's hard on Easy once it ramps up.
ugh! i'll still try. love the movie series, the lore. look, feel, sound. i think for nostalgic sake...

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.