Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Deathloop - from Bethesda Studios - 9/14/21 (PC, PS5 Console-Exclusive)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Deathloop - from Bethesda Studios - 9/14/21 (PC, PS5 Console-Exclusive)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-21, 09:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Deathloop - from Bethesda Studios - 9/14/21 (PC, PS5 Console-Exclusive)

The story opens up more as you tackle the different leads.
I can definitely see why and how this game doesn't work for some folks, but I'm loving it at this point. As someone else said on another forum, follow the Radio Silence lead earlier than later. When in doubt about what to do, follow a lead that's in the main menu. That'll progress things. There are many optional leads (with grey markers instead of orange), but the orange ones are meant to get you closer to your goal, and you can only see them if you're tracking that particular lead in any given zone and any given time.

I guess I'm unlucky because I don't have a silenced weapon. Julianna's invasions get annoying at times. I swear one time she was utterly invincible. Still... I dig the game a lot.
Old 09-20-21, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Yeah, I'm following leads to move things forward. I just finished an annoying one where I had to find a place by the shore purely based on a picture with no quest marker. I already have 5 or so Slabs and multiple upgrades for a few of them. Like with the weapon. I only use one....the one that makes you invisible. I've re-routed power to a few of the areas to complete quests, set people up in the morning so they die later in the day...etc.
Old 09-22-21, 11:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Finished it. Some of y'all are going to hate how this one ends.

That said...

SPOILER!!
Spoiler:
The fact that they hint at this being part of the Dishonored universe is pretty cool. There's some neat theories out there about how it all ties together based on the stuff characters talk about, and the whale oil guns at the end.

Solid game, in my opinion. There's still some stuff to go back and figure out, but those are all side missions.
Old 09-27-21, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I could use a bit of assistance on a task I'm doing. I need to "identify" the visionary during that party when they're all in masks (Aleksis, I think?) I know what's needed but can't get it to trigger. I've been trying the method of turning off the beer taps. I turn them all off and a few people come down talking but nothing triggers. Eventually I move and someone sees me, I kill the visionary, and the quest fails because I didn't "ID" them. What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-27-21, 09:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
I could use a bit of assistance on a task I'm doing. I need to "identify" the visionary during that party when they're all in masks (Aleksis, I think?) I know what's needed but can't get it to trigger. I've been trying the method of turning off the beer taps. I turn them all off and a few people come down talking but nothing triggers. Eventually I move and someone sees me, I kill the visionary, and the quest fails because I didn't "ID" them. What am I doing wrong?
I struggled with this one too. I think the way it triggers is just super wonky.
As I recall, you have to listen to the full conversation of the two folks talking in the room next to the beer kegs. They say how only he likes the beer, etc. etc. This should change the task to say something like "I have a plan" now. If the task isn't updated, then it won't trigger when you turn the taps off. If you do have it setup right, you basically have to turn off those taps, then high tail it to the other room, so you can see which NPC is Aleksis whining about the beer. You may even have to hold the down button to observe him and it'll say something like "unconventional loadout" or something like that.
I did the beer tap thing like 5 or 6 times before getting the task updated properly, and yeah, it wouldn't trigger, even though I knew it was him.
It's a bad task/lead/whatever. It should have been reworked a bit.
The following users liked this post:
Noonan (09-27-21)
Old 09-27-21, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
I struggled with this one too. I think the way it triggers is just super wonky.
As I recall, you have to listen to the full conversation of the two folks talking in the room next to the beer kegs. They say how only he likes the beer, etc. etc. This should change the task to say something like "I have a plan" now. If the task isn't updated, then it won't trigger when you turn the taps off. If you do have it setup right, you basically have to turn off those taps, then high tail it to the other room, so you can see which NPC is Aleksis whining about the beer. You may even have to hold the down button to observe him and it'll say something like "unconventional loadout" or something like that.
I did the beer tap thing like 5 or 6 times before getting the task updated properly, and yeah, it wouldn't trigger, even though I knew it was him.
It's a bad task/lead/whatever. It should have been reworked a bit.
Thanks. I have it triggered to "I have a plan" and listened to the two in the beer room talk about how he likes chocolate beer. So good on that part.

Where did you wait after turning off the taps? I just ran to the end of that room in the dark. Also, what did you do with the mines? Detonating them seems to alert people.
Old 09-27-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I had the same issue. Eventually I overheard a different conversation about him being a big fan of chocolate beer or something like that, and I was able to get that one to trigger and move on.
Old 09-27-21, 10:03 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
Thanks. I have it triggered to "I have a plan" and listened to the two in the beer room talk about how he likes chocolate beer. So good on that part.

Where did you wait after turning off the taps? I just ran to the end of that room in the dark. Also, what did you do with the mines? Detonating them seems to alert people.
There's a door to a balcony that overlooks the main party room with the beer taps. I went up there. Problem was sometimes he'd notice the beer was gone too quickly, but sometimes I had 30-60 seconds to get up there.

As for the mines, I had some trinket enabled so I could just disarm them.
Old 09-27-21, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
There's a door to a balcony that overlooks the main party room with the beer taps. I went up there. Problem was sometimes he'd notice the beer was gone too quickly, but sometimes I had 30-60 seconds to get up there.

As for the mines, I had some trinket enabled so I could just disarm them.
Thanks again; I'll give that a try. I wasn't sure if they would trigger the mines if I just deactivated them. It'll probably take me a few more tries to figure out where to sit and wait.

Oh, also thanks to this I learned that both the scene for time of day changing and you waking up on the beach in a new day can both be skipped. I assumed those were used for loading time but you can just skip pas them to move forward quickly.
Old 10-01-21, 12:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This game started out very strong for me. I felt like I had a real sense of agency while playing. But as time went on it felt more and more linear. As far as I can tell:

Spoiler:
There's only one path to killing all the visionaries, which is disappointing

And the ending was very abrupt and unsatisfactory:

Spoiler:
I thought maybe I got the "bad" ending so I went through the whole loop again to get the other ending and it was just as disappointing.

Too bad, it had a lot of potential.
Old 12-24-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been playing this one a bit. Was pretty confused until it opened up. Not a big fan of the constant julianna invasions that seem to happen every time of the day now. I'm also really bad at the stealth parts (FIA, Aleksis's party) even after upgrading all my slabs. Wish it had more rare gun drops but not bad. Def not game of the year. I had way more fun with metroid and ratchet and clank.
Old 12-24-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by deadlax
I'm also really bad at the stealth parts (FIA, Aleksis's party) even after upgrading all my slabs.
You can get a silenced auto-pistol at the beginning of The Complex, which is super-overpowered. Especially in combination with some of the Nexus upgrades (especially the one that links enemies together), stealth becomes massively, massively easier. You can clear out groups with a single shot and no other enemies being the wiser. If you miss a headshot, the pistol still packs enough of a wallop that another shot or two can still take ‘em out before they have a chance to alert anyone.
Old 12-24-21, 07:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

It's funny, I didn't get that silenced auto-pistol until way later in the game. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much more than those that were able to breeze through it once they had it.
Old 02-22-22, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Finished this finally last night. REALLY enjoyed it once I got into it, focusing on the main quests and not all the side quests. The menus were a bit of a mess and definitely the Julianna invasions got super annoying, but overall this was an excellent game. I'll take something creative and new like this any day over yet another COD. And now on to Horizon...
Old 02-22-22, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i've failed at the party like 20x on this and have no interest in continuing to try. i must just be the worst stealth player ever.
Old 02-22-22, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by deadlax
i've failed at the party like 20x on this and have no interest in continuing to try. i must just be the worst stealth player ever.
What slabs are you using? I had Shift and Aether, which were great for stealth. That being said, I still virtually always ending up in that storage room up top and to the right with TONS of guys streaming in. But, just turn invisible and blast them with a shotgun one by one. Worked for me several times.
Old 02-24-22, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
What slabs are you using? I had Shift and Aether, which were great for stealth. That being said, I still virtually always ending up in that storage room up top and to the right with TONS of guys streaming in. But, just turn invisible and blast them with a shotgun one by one. Worked for me several times.
I did the same thing but hid in the basement entrance near where the kegs are and let them come in one by one to get blasted. Once the majority was cleared out it was easy to finish the rest.
Old 02-24-22, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This game started out very strong for me. I felt like I had a real sense of agency while playing. But as time went on it felt more and more linear. As far as I can tell:

Spoiler:
There's only one path to killing all the visionaries, which is disappointing

And the ending was very abrupt and unsatisfactory:

Spoiler:
I thought maybe I got the "bad" ending so I went through the whole loop again to get the other ending and it was just as disappointing.

Too bad, it had a lot of potential.
Agreed on the linearity:
Spoiler:
I definitely would have enjoyed it more if there were multiple ways to accomplish the goals. Figuring out the one way was fun, but it was also fairly easy. Once you realize there's only one time period where you can reach one visionary, all the pieces start to fall into place.

I did have a fun time with the game, although I had the same trouble at the party. I had a hell of a time keeping it stealth, even with good hiding places.
Old 09-16-22, 06:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

So, this comes out for XBOX Series X on Tuesday. I just preordered. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-16-22, 06:40 PM

Is this on Game Pass?
Old 09-16-22, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Is this on Game Pass?
I saw it is coming to Gamepass.
Old 09-16-22, 08:05 PM

Indeed it does. Already pre-downloaded the 37 or so GB. Can’t wait to play a new game!
Old 09-18-22, 06:03 PM

Anyone know if this is a straight port or like a remastered version?
Old 09-18-22, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Port. Very similar hardware; following 12 months later.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (09-18-22)
Old 09-18-22, 07:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going to try the 1080p/120hz mode on my OLED. That should be fun.

I had an excellent.time with this game on PS5 but I remember getting frustrated with one of the kills in particular. The in-menu guide thingie is useful if you get stuck and aren't sure what to do next.
I'm glad this will have an extended ending... The original ending was oddly short.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.