Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?
No.
63.64%
Yes. Between $0-$50.
9.09%
Yes. Between $50-$100.
0
0%
Yes. Between $100-$150
9.09%
Over $150.
0
0%
Other?
0
0%
Only at retail price at retail place, even if have to wait awhile.
9.09%
What are you high?
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Old 10-16-20, 09:22 PM
  #1  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 41,156
Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts
Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

You know, little gratuity to not wait, no bs. eBay is ridiculous now, but other legal means.

If a friend could get you one when you couldn’t get a preorder in and don’t really want (can get for working at game store or any big box store that supplies or friend just bought an extra somehow at retail price) and don’t want to wait or deal with hassle of trying to get online. Refreshing every second, yada yada yada...

Would you pay him/her or if you go with ridiculous eBay or Amazon 3rd party, and pay extra?

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-16-20 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 10:16 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 59,850
Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

No, especially this coming generation. IIRC, there isn't a single exclusive next gen game launching with either system*. Everything will be playable on current consoles. So even paying the launch price is a stretch at this point let alone a premium. So if I don't get one at launch, I'll get one eventually. There's just no immediate reason to own either other than to have a new fancy box.

*someone can feel free to correct me on that one
Old 10-16-20, 10:25 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 23,246
Received 279 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
IIRC, there isn't a single exclusive next gen game launching with either system*.
Astro's Playroom (pre-installed on the PS5), Destruction AllStars, Godfall, and Demon's Souls are all PS5 exclusives: no cross-gen with those. I know, I know, this is not exactly Demon's Souls' first rodeo, but it's so heavily been overhauled that I think it's fair to call it an exclusive. It's not on the PS4, anyway. You could count Spider-Man: Remastered too if youíre feeling generous, which I guess Iím not.

Not that any of that takes away from your point, since Demon's Souls is the only real system-seller of the bunch (although I'm passing on that in favor of Destruction AllStars because...errr....ummm...).

I voted "no", although if it really came down to it, maybe I'd be willing to pay $10-$15. But even then only if things looked dire. I feel pretty confident in my ability to track down these sorts of things, and I don't mind the hassle that comes with that. (The hassle actually kinda makes it more satisfying.) And although my definite preference would be to avoid waiting for that new, shiny goodness, I'd rather wait a few weeks/months/whatever than to shell out a ton of extra cash. I want to play 'em. I don't need to play 'em. And this is the first generation in decades where Iíve really felt that way.
Old 10-16-20, 10:48 PM
  #4  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 21,540
Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

No.
Old 10-17-20, 07:50 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,957
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

No Freaking Way....be it some "New System", new this or that, concert tickets or whatever....I don't support pathetic, scumbag, lackluster scalpers.....
Old 10-17-20, 07:50 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 59,850
Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

^^ I stand corrected on Astro and Destruction-Allstars, both of which I thought were PS4 bound.

How is it we have a dual console launch and combined they have a weaker launch lineup than the N64 which comprised of Mario 64 and Pilotwings?
Old 10-17-20, 09:52 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,812
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

If there was zero chance I could get them any other way then sure. I mean I pay a small premium to get food delivered to my house instead of just driving 5-10 minutes to get it.
Old 10-17-20, 10:03 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 23,246
Received 279 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
^^ I stand corrected on Astro and Destruction-Allstars
And Godfall, which is somehow more forgettable than Destruction AllStars, a title Iím paying $70 for even though DAS will be on PS+ by, like, April!


The cross-gen titles donít bother me or diminish my enthusiasm. I have to admit that the PS5ís launch slate (including the next-gen updates of existing titles and cross-gen releases) is probably my favorite of any console release. There are games Iím genuinely excited about rather than games Iím settling for.
Old 10-17-20, 10:14 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,812
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

The newer videos for Godfall look really good but I'll already have Miles Morales, Sackboy, Bugsnax, Astro's Playroom, and The Pathless that I want to play first so I'll wait and get it after those games assuming it gets decent reviews.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (10-17-20)
Old 10-17-20, 10:15 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,991
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

You kinda do pay a premium when you buy these new systems, because they always come down in price. I can't see paying MORE because I want one right now, esp when it's so new.
Old 10-17-20, 10:18 AM
  #11  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 41,156
Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
You kinda do pay a premium when you buy these new systems, because they always come down in price. I can't see paying MORE because I want one right now, esp when it's so new.
yeah, but takes year or two for usually $50 price drop on new systems, i believe...
Old 10-17-20, 11:29 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 41,490
Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

You can do this - it's called paying extra to scalpers on ebay.
Old 10-17-20, 06:58 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,054
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
^^ I stand corrected on Astro and Destruction-Allstars, both of which I thought were PS4 bound.

How is it we have a dual console launch and combined they have a weaker launch lineup than the N64 which comprised of Mario 64 and Pilotwings?
Because the jump isn't as big as it was in the past. Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 couldn't be done on the SNES. Now, there's no need for big exclusive launch titles because games can be released on 2 generations of consoles. And games cost so much to make now, that it doesn't make good business sense to limit sales to owners of new consoles that don't have a large enough user base yet. In the past, a game like Cyberpunk might have been a big launch title, but it can run fine on the current gen consoles (while getting an upgrade later).
Old 10-17-20, 08:39 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,851
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

If I keep one of these extra systems I have, I hope someone is willing to pay a big premium for it.
Old 10-17-20, 09:09 PM
  #15  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 41,156
Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
If I keep one of these extra systems I have, I hope someone is willing to pay a big premium for it.
if you arenít kidding, I would pay you premium to ensure...
Old 10-17-20, 10:19 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 59,850
Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Because the jump isn't as big as it was in the past. Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 couldn't be done on the SNES. Now, there's no need for big exclusive launch titles because games can be released on 2 generations of consoles. And games cost so much to make now, that it doesn't make good business sense to limit sales to owners of new consoles that don't have a large enough user base yet. In the past, a game like Cyberpunk might have been a big launch title, but it can run fine on the current gen consoles (while getting an upgrade later).
I understand all of that, but it doesn't change anything. Give people dropping $500 (a $100 increase over last gen to boot) a few exclusives. Plus it entices people into buying into next gen. Or if they want that double dip money, make it a timed exclusive. Example, make Spider-man: Miles Morales an exclusive PS5 game for a year, then dump it on PS4 next November.
Old 10-20-20, 09:03 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,321
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Gladly wait for discounts, no reason to rush
Old 10-20-20, 10:42 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,031
Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

An actual friend would just sell it to you at cost.

And there's not a chance I would ever pay a premium.
Old 10-20-20, 10:45 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 32,344
Received 336 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I understand all of that, but it doesn't change anything. Give people dropping $500 (a $100 increase over last gen to boot) a few exclusives. Plus it entices people into buying into next gen. Or if they want that double dip money, make it a timed exclusive. Example, make Spider-man: Miles Morales an exclusive PS5 game for a year, then dump it on PS4 next November.
I questioned the whole Microsoft strategy of basically no exclusives for the first two years or whatever, but the fact is that they are going to be selling every system they make no matter what and that launch games usually suck unless they were in development for the previous system and switched gears (like Breath of the Wild, for instance), and launch games no matter what will sell to desperate console owners. So I guess their strategy is sound.
Old 10-20-20, 10:57 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,812
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

I wouldn't say their strategy is sound because they're in last place and are buying up every studio they can to get out of last place. Not having any exclusive games that people wanted to play killed them this generation.
Old 10-20-20, 11:14 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 32,344
Received 336 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I wouldn't say their strategy is sound because they're in last place and are buying up every studio they can to get out of last place. Not having any exclusive games that people wanted to play killed them this generation.
They are still going to sell every single system. The buzz seems to be about equal (I can't say that the launch exclusives are really shifting me, personally, one way or another, though I do think Sony has the much better track record). The real question will be how much money they're going to make addicting everyone to Gamepass (or what people are going to do when their grandfathered rates are done).

But I wasn't talking about Microsoft specifically, I'm saying the strategy of both console makers of not going all out to have a killer (true) exclusive right away won't kill them.
Old 10-20-20, 12:56 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,812
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Yeah pretty much every system sells out of its launch allotment. Even sales failures like the WiiU did.
Old 10-20-20, 12:56 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 23,246
Received 279 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I wouldn't say their strategy is sound because they're in last place and are buying up every studio they can to get out of last place.
I dunno. The impression I've gotten is that they know if they continue to run the same race as Sony, there's no real chance of ever being #1. So they're taking a page from that other video game company in Redmond and doing their own thing.

Sony's taking the more traditional approach. You want to play PS5 games, you gotta get a PS5. Nintendo has their own unique vision and hardware to match. And Microsoft is moving in more of a services direction. They're less interested in selling you an Xbox Series X and more in Xbox, whatever that means to you. PC, traditional console, streaming on your phone, whatever. Sony's selling a box; Microsoft's selling subscriptions and accessibility (although if you want discs to plug into a fancy console, that's still on the table for you).

I don't think the goal is to overtake Sony (although I'm sure Microsoft would love it if that were to happen!). It's consistent, recurring revenue and continual growth. I don't know if how this will play out, but I do believe that it better plays to MS' strengths. So everyone will be running their own race, and everyone will be first-place doing it.
Old 10-20-20, 03:09 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 59,850
Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I questioned the whole Microsoft strategy of basically no exclusives for the first two years or whatever, but the fact is that they are going to be selling every system they make no matter what and that launch games usually suck unless they were in development for the previous system and switched gears (like Breath of the Wild, for instance), and launch games no matter what will sell to desperate console owners. So I guess their strategy is sound.
Like Questyen said, even the console failures sell out the first few months. It's after the initial hardcore launch window buyers where an actual next gen library entices people to upgrade. As it stands both these consoles feel like a half-step upgrade akin to the PS4 Pro and Scorpio and not a truly next gen console launch because we're kind of just sliding into next gen without any next gen games.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
But I wasn't talking about Microsoft specifically, I'm saying the strategy of both console makers of not going all out to have a killer (true) exclusive right away won't kill them.
We'll find out soon enough but it seems that without a true next gen system seller, both companies are riding on their name alone. Buy the $500 PS5 because... Playstation! Buy the $500 Xbox Series X because...Xbox! It's definitely a strategy, but not the one I would roll with wanting people to drop $500 bones on during a pandemic and economic recession.
Old 10-20-20, 03:32 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 23,246
Received 279 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: Would you pay a small premium to legally get a new system without hassle?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
As it stands both these consoles feel like a half-step upgrade akin to the PS4 Pro and Scorpio and not a truly next gen console launch because we're kind of just sliding into next gen without any next gen games. We'll find out soon enough but it seems that without a true next gen system seller, both companies are riding on their name alone.
Excluding remasters/remakes and limiting to just titles available at retail, the PS4's then-next-gen exclusives at launch were Killzone: Shadow Fall and Knack. Excluding remasters/remakes and limiting to just titles available at retail, the PS5's next-gen exclusives at launch are Destruction AllStars and Godfall.

2 titles then, 2 titles now. Is the landscape really that much worse this time around? In the grand scheme of things, how quickly were that Killzone sequel and Knack forgotten?

With as expensive as top-tier games are to produce, I wouldn't expect to see much in the way of earth-shattering AAA launch exclusives ever again. Honestly, I would argue that the PS5 and Xbox Series S|X are launching with the strongest slate of titles (even if they're not strictly exclusive) in at least several generations and possibly ever.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.