Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How much of your entertainment dollars go to video games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

So I realized that in the first two months since owning the Switch I've spent $1221 on it. Now granted that includes the cost of the system, game case, memory card, case, screen protector, dance game accessories, a year of Gamefly 2 out at a time after the free month, games, and $200 in eShop credit I haven't used yet that was being offered at a great deal. So I got enough gaming to last me a while. But still, a GRAND. And was wondering how many others have spent four figures in the first few months upon purchasing a system.
Old 10-15-20, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: How much of your entertainment dollars go to video games?

A lot.

I bought an $860 computer to use as a game console, spent another $200 on an extra 2tb NVMe SSD, and a $30 dongle to use my Xbox One controllers with it, another $20 on a wireless keyboard and probably $200 in games this year alone. So about $1310. I use the thing for other stuff as well, but gaming is definitely it's main purpose (I remote into it to do other things).

I will probably buy a Quest 2 in the coming weeks as well.
Old 10-15-20, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Most of my entertainment dollars still go to Blu-ray / Ultra HD Blu-ray. I have to admit that I don't really go too nuts on gaming expenditures. One lesson I learned back in the OG Xbox era was that I need to avoid a backlog. So I try to avoid buying more than one game at a time, and I'm more willing to wait for sales if it's not something I'm champing at the bit to play immediately. I keep a close eye on @wario64, SlickDeals' gaming roundups, and Cheap Ass Gamer.

In March '17, when the Switch launched, I bought the console, Breath of the Wild, two BotW amiibo, the BotW expansion pass, the BotW hardcover guide, Snipperclips, and Transformers: Devastation for the PS4. But thanks to Gamers Club Unlocked and Amazon gift cards, I was only out $292.70 out of pocket.

Year-to-date, I've averaged $67.50 a month on gaming, with a median of $49.59. (I didn't buy any games in January or April, and my only gaming $$$ in August went towards a discounted Game Pass Ultimate subscription. October will only go up if I'm able to preorder/order Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, which I'm intrigued by but iffy on. And some of those months were for Limited Run Games preorders, literally none of which have actually shipped yet.) And yet I've played through 30 games so far this year! Some of that's from revisiting old favorites, some of that's leftover from 2019, and a little of that's thanks to GamePass.

Next month is obviously going to change those numbers pretty dramatically. It's lookin' like $747.32 for November at the moment. I got the Xbox Series X for free, thanks to a stockpile of Amazon gift cards and Discover rewards. I'm also getting the Play & Charge Kit and Cyberpunk 2077 for the Series X next month. For the PS5, I'm getting the console, the deluxe Miles Morales (discounted a bit with a Best Buy coupon) and Destruction AllStars (which might as well be a gift for my wife). No extra controllers or accessories, at least not yet. My birthday's the week after these consoles launch, so I'm sure I'll get some new games to play as part of that too.
Old 10-15-20, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

95% of my entertainment dollars go to gaming. The only other thing I spend money on is television streaming services. I probably spend a couple hundred bucks a month although next month will be a lot higher with both systems releasing. Probably closer to $1500-$1700.
Old 10-15-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The one event in the past year or so that curtailed my video game spending was the loss of Best Buy GCU. I'd buy so many games at launch because of the discount, whereas now I wait for sales and sometimes just forget about them.

The other is Gamepass, though that comes with an expenditure of its own. I think my spending will pick up with next gen but in some ways the 10 dollar price increase is making me even more cautious about buying stuff at release.
Old 10-15-20, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Probably less than 10%. I probably pick up a new game only a handful of times in a year.

For me, most of my entertainment money goes to DirecTV, streaming services and going to the movies.
Old 10-15-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I’m right around $70/mo on games, $45/mo on streaming and $100/mo on 4k & blu-rays. Gaming spending will get a big bump next month with the Series X and a couple new games.
Old 10-15-20, 09:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I don’t buy that many, but next month getting few which is a lot for me. Cyberpunk, Valhalla, something else, I think. And then of course Series X. So November probably most expensive spending in years!
Old 10-15-20, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

After getting GamePass on xbox my spending habits have gone down significantly. I think the last full priced game i got was Mario 3D Allstars lol .

Last full price game I plan to buy this year is Cyberpunk.