DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Horizon: Forbidden West (PS4, PS5; 2/18/22) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/651314-horizon-forbidden-west-ps4-ps5%3B-2-18-22-a.html)

Goldberg74 04-30-22 05:39 PM

Re: Horizon: Forbidden West (PS4, PS5; 2/18/22)

Just saying, I wish there was a harpoon in HFW.

#swimdodgeswimhideswim

Adam Tyner 04-30-22 05:55 PM

Yeah. I wouldnít have minded the underwater sections being so stealth-oriented if the controls were better (turning feels awful) or if there were often clearer indications of where I need to go, but clunky swimming in underlit areas around sunken ships/buildings where every side is visually indistinguishable from every other trying to find an entrance, but being interrupted every 7 seconds by a robo-croc isnít particularly fun.

Itís not a persistent nuisance, thankfully, but when itís annoying, itís really, really annoying.

Goldberg74 05-13-22 07:19 PM

I pretty good talk from GDC about the building of the ďDeathís DoorĒ quest bunkerÖ where you meetÖ
Spoiler:
The Zeniths and Beta and battle Eric.

davidh777 05-14-22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 14094208)
I started the first one earlier this year and was making enough progress to think I might be able to start the second while other people were still playing it (unlike 99% of my games), but I died in a boss battle and Iíve been too busy over the last month to try it again. :brickwl2:

So the same day I posted this, I figured it had been too long since I'd played to have any hope of beating the boss, so I switched to story mode just to get past it. I won the battle, then cut scene, then end credits. So I was pretty much at the end. rotfl

I roamed around and killed more robots, but it wasn't really that fun so I figured it was time to shut it down even though I was at only 77%. Now I have to figure out whether I want to jump into the new one or wait for a sale. I have a bunch of other games to play but nothing really grabbing me at the moment so I dunno.

Goldberg74 05-16-22 04:23 PM

My son that is a senior in high school (he turns 18 tomorrow) tested positive this weekend (as did my wife and they got it from me) so he asked if we could move the PS4 into the game room from my studio so he could play Horizon Zero Dawn.

So I did and he's having a blast with it.

So I'm in my studio playing Forbidden West on the PS5 and he's in the game room playing Zero Dawn on the PS4.

Draven 05-16-22 05:12 PM

Finally played the last mission and beat it. It was fine, I guess. I enjoyed the combat but I never felt like I got really GOOD armor or skills (despite maxing the trees). I still had fights with some of the bigger creatures toward the end with undodgeable attacks that took me down to almost no health in one hit. Constantly healing. And combo attacks were all but useless on machines. I rarely used my spear on them because it did nothing. I basically took everything down with Explosive and Drill spikes and shock arrows. Everything else always seemed way too weak. I was also always running out of tear arrows and couldn't make more. Frustrating.

And I had a lot more fun in the first game sneaking up on random creatures and making them fight each other. But it just wasn't as fun with this one - I got the big creature upgrades toward the end but they are always off by themselves. I wanted there to be a big pack of Thunderjaws roaming around where I could make one fight another. And WAY too many "Apex" versions so I couldn't possess anyone. I think they should have kept those to the Cauldrons only.

I also did too many quests where I thought I'd get something cool and got...nothing...for a reward beyond some XP and skill points. Where's the cool weapon for beating all of those missions? Disappointing.

And I was afraid that when I beat it, I'd have nothing left to do. I checked some guides for the "best weapons in the game" and there was nothing I didn't already have or didn't really want (never got into blastslings or the warrior bows, for example).

The visuals were incredible but overall I kind of walked away a bit "meh" on the whole thing. And I have no interest in completing the few things I have left to do.

Adam Tyner 05-16-22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 14104721)
I basically took everything down with Explosive and Drill spikes and shock arrows. Everything else always seemed way too weak.

Unlike the first game which was pretty easy to exploit (all ropecasters, all the time! tall grass + whistle!), this one really wants you to (a) target weakpoints; the parts that are yellow after doing a scan, and ideally weapons, which you can also specifically target and (b) use ammo that a specific machine is weak to, whether it’s acid, shock, or whatever. It definitely encourages livening things up and not just overreliance on one or two tactics.

I didn’t run into much trouble on Normal difficulty, especially with that borderline-game-breaking special ability that constantly heals you.

Draven 05-16-22 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 14104742)
Unlike the first game which was pretty easy to exploit (all ropecasters, all the time! tall grass + whistle!), this one really wants you to (a) target weakpoints; the parts that are yellow after doing a scan, and ideally weapons, which you can also specifically target and (b) use ammo that a specific machine is weak to, whether itís acid, shock, or whatever. It definitely encourages livening things up and not just overreliance on one or two tactics.

I didnít run into much trouble on Normal difficulty, especially with that borderline-game-breaking special ability that constantly heals you.

I feel I exploited this one too. Iíd try to target weapons (but Iíd run out of tear arrows), Iíd use their weakness ammo and then after a bit Iíd just start chucking drill spikes and explosive spikes and theyíd take anything down.

I must have missed the special ability that heals you. Iíd just constantly ate herbs all the time.

I see it was a valor surge - I barely used those. Didnít find one that seemed worth it. Guess I missed a good one :lol:

redbill 05-17-22 04:11 PM

I started using Valor surges, and whatever the other special weapon thing was called in the 2nd half of the game when I started to run into problems with harder enemies (same type things you all mentioned). They made a pretty big impact, especially Valor surge -- I liked the one that gave you melee bonus. They were easy to not learn in the early game because you didn't need them, and they were new. but its worth the effort to learn how to use them.

gerrythedon 06-02-22 07:01 PM

slop101 06-06-22 11:28 AM

So the add-ons are only for VR?

Adam Tyner 06-06-22 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 14114359)
So the add-ons are only for VR?

The VR thing -- Call of the Mountain -- is a completely different game (with a different protagonist).

The other updates -- Ultra Hard mode, New Game Plus, skill point respec'ing, new cosmetics, new legendary weapons -- are all part of Forbidden West.

davidh777 08-11-22 11:40 PM

Price drop so I bit.