DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Horizon: Forbidden West (PS4, PS5; 2/18/22) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/651314-horizon-forbidden-west-ps4-ps5%3B-2-18-22-a.html)

Goldberg74 03-20-22 09:52 AM

Re: Horizon: Forbidden West (PS4, PS5; 2/18/22)

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 14074608)
A sharpshooter bow will take someone down with a single headshot if they're not wearing armor.

I got Kue’s Sharpshooter Bow last night:.
Spoiler:
It was the result of the Level 10 Side Quest, “The Roots That Bind”, that I didn’t do until Level 20, I wish now I would have gotten it earlier.

Also, during the Side Quest “The Oldgrowth”…
Spoiler:
I tracked down the Utaru that was hiding in the cave when all of a sudden the “stronger” clawstrider appeared. He was itching to help but Aloy asked him to stand back and not attack until she fired first.

Well, I set two shock traps in its path and hit one and fell into the other and was dead.

Then I laughed out loud when the Utaru said, “glad I could help take it down, here take my glue gun.”

He didn’t do squat, but thanks for the gun.

Adam Tyner 03-24-22 11:49 AM

Here's a helpful glitch! I was a few skill points shy of completing all the trees, and even though I still had a few Machine Strike games to play, it wouldn't be quite enough to fill things out. But if you've completed The Arena, you load your save, and it's still incomplete-blue rather than complete-green, just go in and do any challenge. Even the easiest challenge on the lowest possible difficulty, which you can probably do in 30 seconds or less. Afterwards, you'll wind up with one skill point. Quit to the main menu, go back to 'Continue', and you'll be in front of the Arena person again. Lather, rinse, repeat until you have as many skill points as you need.

Adam Tyner 03-25-22 10:57 PM

After 87 hours, I think I’ve done pretty much everything there is to do! I’m “only” at 98.12% completion, thanks to missing the un-rediscoverable Apex Sentry Scrounger and 6 Burrower variants I don’t feel like tracking down, but I did damned near everything else, including fully upgrading a full load of Legendary weapons + armor and beating everyone in Machine Strike.

If Guerilla patches in a way to scan the Apex Sentry Scrounger, maybe I’ll fire it up again soon, but otherwise, I think I’m set until any expansions or a New Game Plus down the road!

steebo777 03-28-22 03:48 PM

I put about 51 hours into it total, beat it and am happy with that. I get burned out on nearly any game after about 40-50 hours, so I am happy with the overall experience.

Goldberg74 03-29-22 11:07 AM

I'm taking my time going through this game. I'm about 45 hours into it and am only at 29.7%.

I'm hunting, upgrading, completing contracts, errands, and side quests... and hitting up the main story when I feel like it. I have not touched Machine Strike nor done much with the Hunting Grounds and Melee Pits.

I've waited awhile for this game and I'm going to enjoy every aspect of it.

By the way, I'm wishing this game had a Spider-Man aspect to it and I could go out on side quests as Kotallo, Varl, Zo, or Erend and explore their unique skillsets. That'd be a blast.

Adam Tyner 03-31-22 12:08 AM

And Aloy wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...073b8347d.jpeg

Goldberg74 03-31-22 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 14082696)
And Aloy wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...073b8347d.jpeg

Congrats!

I'll get there... eventually. ;)

thematahara 04-02-22 08:26 AM

Finished Elden Ring and I might be ready to dive into Horizon. I hope that coming from Elden Ring wont change my expectations/enjoyment for the open world, but thats more of a personal problem.

I loved the first Horizon, so I expect Ill like this one as well.

Question, I see that the PS4 with free upgrade is still 10 bucks cheaper than the PS5 version. Is there any downside to buying the PS4 and upgrading?

redbill 04-03-22 08:02 AM

I've read about it keeps trying to install the PS4 version when you do it that way, even if you only play the PS5 version. I'm sure there's a way around it, but that's the only potential downside I saw.

redbill 04-08-22 07:49 AM

beat last night, definitely took my time (probably 80+ hours), did all Side Quests/Cauldrons/Rebel Bases. But not much of the other stuff (Arena, Hunting Pits, Board Game, etc...). So at Level-50 the final mission wasn't bad. probably will not go for 100%, but the Platinum looks very achievable from where I am, probably not much more than a few hours of clean-up in the Arena and Hunting Grounds will do it. Any particularly time-extensive grindy trophy's out there?

Adam Tyner 04-08-22 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by redbill (Post 14086881)
Any particularly time-extensive grindy trophy's out there?

Upgrading all the pouches is probably the most annoying, thanks to ducks and fish, but it’s not that bad.

uteotw 04-08-22 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by redbill (Post 14086881)
beat last night, definitely took my time (probably 80+ hours), did all Side Quests/Cauldrons/Rebel Bases. But not much of the other stuff (Arena, Hunting Pits, Board Game, etc...). So at Level-50 the final mission wasn't bad. probably will not go for 100%, but the Platinum looks very achievable from where I am, probably not much more than a few hours of clean-up in the Arena and Hunting Grounds will do it. Any particularly time-extensive grindy trophy's out there?

I'm level 35 and could do the last mission. Is it too soon?

redbill 04-08-22 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw (Post 14086935)
I'm level 35 and could do the last mission. Is it too soon?

its not that bad, IMO. I waited because I thought it might be like the first one and Fallout, where the more side missions you did, the more help you'd have from the different tribes in a final battle. But didn't seem to matter. If you plan on going for the Platinum anyway, I'd recommend waiting a bit and do more exploring.

redbill 04-08-22 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 14086931)
Upgrading all the pouches is probably the most annoying, thanks to ducks and fish, but it’s not that bad.

I think I only have 1 more type left, I think needs Salmon which i haven't found yet. I stumbled upon a good flock of ducks and owls to get some of the other ones...

maxfisher 04-09-22 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by redbill (Post 14086975)
I think I only have 1 more type left, I think needs Salmon which i haven't found yet. I stumbled upon a good flock of ducks and owls to get some of the other ones...

It sounds like you haven’t been using quests for them. You can create one for any upgradeable item in the game and for everything except the rarest machines it’ll mark on your map where to find the needed resources.

Draven 04-11-22 05:34 PM

I'm not scrolling through the whole thread because I want to avoid spoilers but I had a question I can't seem to find an answer for online without reading more than I want to.

In the first game, I encountered the Tallnecks and Cauldrons fairly regularly. I've been playing through most of the side missions and haven't advanced the quest much in Forbidden West...

Spoiler:

Need to go to POSEIDON and HADES next

So far I have only found two Cauldrons and one Tallneck I could do (I found another one I don't think I have the right equipment for). I'm scared to progress the main quest much further because overriding the animals is my favorite part of the game so I want to clear as many Cauldrons as I can along the way versus going back after beating the main game. I'm just shocked that I have like 40% of the trophies and a stacked skilltree and that's all I've encountered through a normal playthrough.

Maybe I'm misremembering Zero Dawn but I thought I just naturally found everything at a good pace. Without major spoilers, should I push the main story a little further along to open up more areas or am I missing lots of stuff from the earlier sections?

Adam Tyner 04-11-22 06:12 PM

You’re not missing anything; a lot of that stuff is a good bit into the west. I don’t consider this spoilery, but I’ll protect it just to be safe:

Spoiler:
One cauldron is tied to a fairly late mission, another requires an ability you get with a story mission, and one of the tallnecks can’t be completed until you’re just about done with the campaign.

Draven 04-14-22 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 14088387)
You’re not missing anything; a lot of that stuff is a good bit into the west. I don’t consider this spoilery, but I’ll protect it just to be safe:

Spoiler:
One cauldron is tied to a fairly late mission, another requires an ability you get with a story mission, and one of the tallnecks can’t be completed until you’re just about done with the campaign.

Ok thanks, that’s helpful!

Goldberg74 04-16-22 11:09 PM

Decided to mix things up and learn Machine Strike today. I thought I got the hang of it, but I’m still trying to figure out the strategy component. I’m losing more often than I think I should.

Adam Tyner 04-17-22 01:33 AM

Machine Strike isn’t too tough to cheese. I forget my exact lineup, but I had two aerial pieces: a Stormbird and…something else. :p I’d use the other aerial unit to soften up my opponent: just get some licks in and maybe take a piece off the board. I kept the Stormbird perched on high ground in the meantime.

When the pawn was kaput, that let me move Stormbird twice every turn, so it was pretty easy to do some severe damage and then high-tail it to safety.

Lycanfyre 04-19-22 08:36 PM

Just finished the first one and really enjoyed it. Will it feel repetitive to play this win right away? Take a break and buy it in a few weeks?

Goldberg74 04-19-22 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lycanfyre (Post 14091971)
Just finished the first one and really enjoyed it. Will it feel repetitive to play this win right away? Take a break and buy it in a few weeks?

Take a bit of a break… or get it and go slow. Aloy seems to have lost everything but her spear, so you might get a bit frustrated not having the “power and abilities” you just played with.

That, or just jump right in. It’s a beautiful ride.

Goldberg74 04-23-22 11:56 PM

Finally got the breathing mask. Now to backtrack.

uteotw 04-25-22 10:24 AM

So I got to the final boss as level 36, and it was insanely frustrating. Apparently it's a level 45 boss(?), but there was no such indication ahead of time (like in Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, when I tried enter the final area and it gave me a warning I was 3 levels below, so I did not enter and did more side missions). I tried it for almost an hour, followed all the tips re ammo types, etc., but it was impossible, one hit would wipe out over half my health, etc.. I finished Dark Souls and Bloodbourne III, but this was worse, so I did what I've never done, switched to easy difficulty and beat it. Glad I did, as it was ruining an otherwise awesome and epic game for me. 50 hours and I was ready to be done, did not feel like grinding just to level up higher. Phew.

davidh777 04-25-22 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lycanfyre (Post 14091971)

I started the first one earlier this year and was making enough progress to think I might be able to start the second while other people were still playing it (unlike 99% of my games), but I died in a boss battle and I’ve been too busy over the last month to try it again. :brickwl2: