Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.

Old 09-03-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts
Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.

Mario gets a new Game & Watch for his 35th anniversary

Ryan GilliamSep 3, 2020, 9:31am EDT
On Thursday, Nintendo published a new Nintendo Direct for Mario’s 35th Anniversary. Nintendo announced the long-rumored Super Mario 3D All-Stars, alongside a few other surprise products. Namely, Mario will get his own Game & Watch system later this year.

On Nov. 13, Nintendo will launch a new piece of Game & Watch hardware — those plastic handheld systems from the 1980s. With Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros., players can play through the original Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, use a Mario-themed clock mode to tell time, or relive one of the original Game & Watch classics: Ball, re-themed around everyone’s favorite Italian plumber.

According to Nintendo, the new Game & Watch’s clock feature has “35 little touches to discover” in celebration of the anniversary. The Game & Watch itself won’t be like you remember it either, with a new, modern cross-shaped control pad to make the original Mario games feel a bit snappier. It also has a full-color, liquid crystal display, to make the NES classics look better than the original Game & Watch games.

Nintendo will manufacture and sell a limited number of Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. systems this November for $49.99.
https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/214...intendo-direct

I wasn’t sure if a new thread was necessarily needed for this, but what the heck. More coming out of Nintendo’s 35th Anniversary celebration of Mario. This looks pretty cool to me. I’ll probably try grabbing one.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-03-20 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-03-20, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 230 Posts
Re: Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.

Yeah, I saw this news and wasn't sure a new thread was needed... but this is an instant buy for me. Now gimme the clamshell games like Donkey Kong...
Old 09-03-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

If the price isn't obscene, I can see grabbing this as a nice little collectible and easy way to play on the go.

Old 09-03-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
If the price isn't obscene, I can see grabbing this as a nice little collectible and easy way to play on the go.
It's 49.99
Old 09-03-20, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

seems like a terrible value compared to the NES Classic, but I guess the screen and game & watch form factor is their justification? $20 would have been a more appropriate price.
Old 09-03-20, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
seems like a terrible value compared to the NES Classic
I agree. I would’ve gotten this for the novelty value if it’d been $20 or $30, but for $50...I mean, at least gimme a Game Boy Classic!
Old 09-03-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

It is somewhat pricey, but it’s cool and kinda cute. Plus Super Mario Bros. is endlessly replayable to me. I also don’t have any version of a Game & Watch so for that novelty factor and it being limited makes me want it.
Old 09-03-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Yup, I'm considering at $50, but at $30 it was probably an instant buy for me.
Old 09-03-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

How small is the screen? Makes me want to dig up my Gameboy Micro
Old 09-03-20, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It's 49.99
Yecch.

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I agree. I would’ve gotten this for the novelty value if it’d been $20 or $30, but for $50...I mean, at least gimme a Game Boy Classic!
Yeah, totally.
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
How small is the screen? Makes me want to dig up my Gameboy Micro
I have the GBA micro with the Famicom paint scheme, I can still play any of the classic games that got released on GBA games. Guess I'll just stick with that.
Old 09-03-20, 08:24 PM
Suspended

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

I may buy it. I'm a sucker for things like this. Wish it included the Mario Bros arcade and Wrecking Crew. Also, I all in if they do a Donkey Kong one in a clamshell
Old 09-05-20, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

This thing is so awesome. Such a great idea for a collectable. Definitely in even at $50. I don't know about the economies of scale with something like this but I feel like if Nintendo had priced this at $30, and assuming they mass produce the hell out of it, they would have made more money overall. At $30 it's really a no brainer and would have made it into everyone's stockings and white elephant gift exchanges this Christmas. At $50 it really only targets collectors like me. It does make me wonder about the form factor for this one. Not sure how difficult it will be to play the original SMB on something so thin (assuming it's the same thickness of the OG G&W).
Old 09-05-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I may buy it. I'm a sucker for things like this. Wish it included the Mario Bros arcade and Wrecking Crew. Also, I all in if they do a Donkey Kong one in a clamshell
I miss my DK Jr one. Part of me wonders if it's in a box in my parents attic and the other part realizes that the battery compartment would probably be beyond corroded if I did find it.

Old 09-06-20, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I miss my DK Jr one. Part of me wonders if it's in a box in my parents attic and the other part realizes that the battery compartment would probably be beyond corroded if I did find it.

You'd be surprised. A lot of times it just takes a bit of vinegar to clean up corrosion.
Old 09-06-20, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I would be in line to buy it if it was 20 to 25 dollars. But 50, no way.