DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/651229-super-mario-3d-all-stars-switch%3B-9-18-20-a.html)

Adam Tyner 09-03-20 08:21 AM

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Optimized versions of 3D Mario games Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy are coming to Nintendo Switch in one package. In addition to having higher resolutions than their original versions, the games have been optimized for a smooth gameplay experience on Nintendo Switch. Super Mario 3D All-Stars also includes an in-game music-player mode to play the music and songs from all three games. Players can also listen to music on their Nintendo Switch systems when the screen is off. A limited production of Super Mario 3D All-Stars launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch family of systems on Sept. 18 and will be available until approximately March 31, 2021.
No Galaxy 2, alas.

milo bloom 09-03-20 09:40 AM

Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

My kid will want these for sure, he loves these and really wants to play Sunshine

Adam Tyner 09-03-20 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13799590)
and really wants to play Sunshine

It's the only Mario game I've owned and never finished. :( It was in those dark days when I wasn't very diligent about completing games.

And I haven't had the chance, since I gave my copy to a relative. For the past few years, I've come close to buying it again, but I couldn't shake the feeling that some kind of remastering or revisiting was on the way. And hey, here it is! I'm curious how it'll play without analog triggers. (Maybe that's in this morning's Direct; I haven't watched it yet.)

Sonny Corinthos 09-03-20 10:05 AM

I am a huge Mario fan, but I have never cared for those three games.

Decker 09-03-20 10:16 AM

That announced "expiration date" for sale of the game is really weird. I don't think I have ever seen that before, especially for a digital release. At least I know that I won't need to wait for a sale - - at least not after March 10th.

Adam Tyner 09-03-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13799616)
That announced "expiration date" for sale of the game is really weird.

It is! I get maybe the physical release being a limited run, but I can't wrap my head around making the digital version only available for a few months.

Sonny Corinthos 09-03-20 10:58 AM

Nintendo is going all out for this. I wouldn't mind having a pair, but they will most likely sell out very quickly.

Mike86 09-03-20 11:15 AM

I’m happy to get the three games and I’ll definitely buy this. I don’t quite get why they omitted Super Mario Galaxy 2 though.

At first I thought maybe they’d do a 3D All-Stars Volume Two or something, but that seems unlikely due to the separate release of Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury.

Not really sure what else they’d pair with Super Mario Galaxy 2. Unless they put it with Super Mario 3D Land.

bluetoast 09-03-20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13799619)
It is! I get maybe the physical release being a limited run, but I can't wrap my head around making the digital version only available for a few months.

People are speculating that after the limited run, they will be sold individually. That way Nintendo can have a special release now, and 3 items for the eShop later, probably at $20+ each.

fujishig 09-03-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13799619)

$$$

How many people are going to buy this instantly instead of waiting for a sale?

I'm tempted if only because my son has been on a gigantic Mario kick and he's been begging me to setup the Wii so he can play Galaxy.

Decker 09-03-20 11:40 AM

I wonder how well Mario 64 holds up.

The Cow 09-03-20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13799687)
I wonder how well Mario 64 holds up.

I'm curious too. All I remember from that one is the frustration of climbing the inside of the clock tower.

I'm in for some Mario Sunshine, I think. I recall enjoying that one a lot, it might be worth another play-through.

Mike86 09-03-20 11:45 AM

I love Super Mario 64 personally. One of my favorite games of all time. I grew up with it so maybe partly it’s nostalgic, but I think it’s a very good game either way, and also pretty groundbreaking.

I wonder if there’s any chance of getting the DS content, which allowed you to play as more characters (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario), and also added more stars to collect plus some mini games.

Decker 09-03-20 11:50 AM

The collection is being issued as a physical release as well as Digital. I'm tempted to buy it that way for resale potential.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/super-m...?skuId=6414104

spainlinx0 09-03-20 12:23 PM

I’m definitely day one for a physical copy. I have been itching to revisit Sunshine for a long time now. However, I will not be completing the blue coin stuff. That was insane.

The Cow 09-03-20 12:27 PM

I'm going physical copy for this one too.

Dan 09-03-20 12:57 PM

I played Galaxy, but never finished it. Never really got around to 64 or Sunshine, but I've wanted to, and this is a good reason to buy in.

The Questyen 09-03-20 02:10 PM

It looks like people that have seen the packaging are saying it requires joy cons (even with the Switch lite) so if that's the case then motion controls required and no pro controller support. That would be hugely disappointing.

The Cow 09-03-20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13799795)
It looks like people that have seen the packaging are saying it requires joy cons (even with the Switch lite) so if that's the case then motion controls required and no pro controller support. That would be hugely disappointing.

Ohh, glad you pointed that out. That will be a deal breaker for me, if true. Bummer.

spainlinx0 09-03-20 02:27 PM

Hmm, I had heard they even made motion controls optional for Galaxy. That will be hugely disappointing since I love the Pro Controller. I still preordered, but I don't like that information.

lwhy? 09-03-20 05:56 PM

I preordered it, but I'm not happy about not being able to use my pro controller with it.

Dan 09-03-20 06:09 PM

Mandatory motion controls would be a big disappointment. Would this apply to all of the included games?

The Questyen 09-03-20 06:19 PM

Just to clarify my post was that this is what people are saying on the internet who claim to have seen the packaging. It could be bullshit so I wouldn't get to worked up until we hear for sure. At the least pro controller support would have to be in there for the first 2 games or that would mean they added motion controls to those games which would be more work than just removing the motion controls from Galaxy.

Mike86 09-03-20 06:22 PM

I have to think there will be Pro Controller support. Seems weird Nintendo wouldn’t allow for that. Super Mario Galaxy was made with motion controls in mind, but the other two weren’t.

Michael Corvin 09-04-20 12:44 AM

Yeah, I'm sure 64 and Sunshine have standard controls (pro controller) and Galaxy kept the motion (joy cons).

Not sure how I feel about this. I have the N64, GCN & Wii hooked up and could easily play these already. This would be purely for the visual upgrades for me.

beavis69 09-04-20 02:17 AM

Come on guys, why would they show it being played portable in the direct if you couldn't do it in real life. Squash the rumors.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/214...n-controls-wii

Sonny Corinthos 09-04-20 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800132)
Come on guys, why would they show it being played portable in the direct if you couldn't do it in real life. Squash the rumors.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/214...n-controls-wii

Thank you for this information. This would have been a deal breaker if you had to use joy cons to play.

Adam Tyner 09-04-20 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800132)

But it does sound like you can't use the Pro Controller to play Galaxy, and that's a drag.

fujishig 09-04-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13800205)
But it does sound like you can't use the Pro Controller to play Galaxy, and that's a drag.

Polygon reached out to Nintendo for clarification about the extent of required motion controls in Super Mario Galaxy in Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and received the following statement:

Super Mario Galaxy is supported in TV, Tabletop and Handheld Modes. In TV and Tabletop modes, motion controls are required for pointer functionality. In Handheld Mode, pointer functionality has been adapted to use Touch Screen.

Nintendo also confirmed that Super Mario 3D All-Stars supports the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.
Oh, you meant to play Galaxy in particular. I don't remember, was pointer functionality essential? It does sound like another "The World Ends With You" situation.

Decker 09-04-20 10:28 AM

I barely remember playing that game. Were motion controls absolutely essential to gameplay or were they gimmicky and annoying like that Donkey Kong game?

Adam Tyner 09-04-20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13800214)
I barely remember playing that game.

I played through it maybe 5 years ago? I definitely remember a lot of pointing and shooting to get the little star things and to blast Mario around.

beavis69 09-04-20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13800205)

Joys cons are only needed for co op. Pro controller work

https://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...functionality/

Adam Tyner 09-04-20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800252)
Joys cons are only needed for co op. Pro controller work

Are we reading different things? From that link (which quotes the same article posted earlier):

Super Mario Galaxy is supported in TV, Tabletop and Handheld Modes. In TV and Tabletop modes, motion controls are required for pointer functionality. In Handheld Mode, pointer functionality has been adapted to use Touch Screen.

I don't see anything saying that you can play Super Mario Galaxy exclusively on the Pro Controller.

beavis69 09-04-20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13800254)
Are we reading different things? From that link (which quotes the same article posted earlier):
I don't see anything saying that you can play Super Mario Galaxy exclusively on the Pro Controller.

Fans will also be happy to hear that Super Mario 3D All-Stars supports the Pro Controller.”

Adam Tyner 09-04-20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800258)
Fans will also be happy to hear that Super Mario 3D All-Stars supports the Pro Controller.”

That doesn't answer the question. Super Mario 3D All-Stars can support the Pro Controller, thanks to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. It can also require motion controls (or the touchscreen) for Super Mario Galaxy, which is what Nintendo is explicitly saying.

Are you seeing something I'm not?

Mike86 09-04-20 12:01 PM

Super Mario Galaxy relied pretty heavily on motion controls from what I remember. I think that’s a lot of the reason why I didn’t finish it. Some parts were frustrating and I couldn’t pass so I wound up giving up.

The Cow 09-04-20 12:06 PM

Agree, it is still not clear. I also read that article such that joy-cons would be required for Galaxy.

beavis69 09-04-20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13800260)
That doesn't answer the question. Super Mario 3D All-Stars can support the Pro Controller, thanks to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. It can also require motion controls (or the touchscreen) for Super Mario Galaxy, which is what Nintendo is explicitly saying.

Are you seeing something I'm not?

https://gonintendo.com/stories/36811...uper-mario-gal

It keeps saying over and over that pro controller can be played with all three. I never played galaxy so I can’t speak to how much pointer was needed, but it seems fucking stupid that they would say you can play with the pro controller but can’t beat the game with the pro controller, so I’m going to have to take them as face value and say for the basic mechanics to beat the game single player you can use the pro controller. For extra functionality and co op you need joy one.

spainlinx0 09-04-20 12:55 PM

I had read on another the site that game had been adapted to not need motion controls unless you were playing co-op. I guess we need more explicit confirmation.

maxfisher 09-04-20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800268)
https://gonintendo.com/stories/36811...uper-mario-gal

It keeps saying over and over that pro controller can be played with all three. I never played galaxy so I can’t speak to how much pointer was needed, but it seems fucking stupid that they would say you can play with the pro controller but can’t beat the game with the pro controller, so I’m going to have to take them as face value and say for the basic mechanics to beat the game single player you can use the pro controller. For extra functionality and co op you need joy one.

Yeah, assuming the info from that article is indeed from Nintendo, they explicitly say you can play Galaxy with the pro.