Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Old 09-07-20, 10:22 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 59,636
Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

^ Yes. The motion was minimal, largely optional and hardly intrusive.
Old 09-09-20, 06:42 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
Thread Starter
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 23,027
Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Looks like the controls will mirror the Chinese version of Super Mario Galaxy on the Shield (which shares much of the same DNA as the Switch) ó Y to spin and the right stick for the pointer. Motion controls remain but arenít required. So everyone who wasnít skeptical was right, and my fears were misplaced.
Old 09-12-20, 01:55 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,944
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Six more days until I get to play Super Mario Sunshine on the Switch!!!

Here's a wallpaper to celebrate!



Old 09-13-20, 09:17 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,361
Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

So itís looking like the physical release of this may be hard to come by. Itís unavailable a lot of places to pre-order, and rumor is Nintendo is pushing the digital release more.
Old 09-13-20, 09:47 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,751
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
So itís looking like the physical release of this may be hard to come by. Itís unavailable a lot of places to pre-order, and rumor is Nintendo is pushing the digital release more.
Yeah, I figured that would be the case with how guarded Nintendo is with their catalog titles.
Old 09-13-20, 09:47 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,944
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
So itís looking like the physical release of this may be hard to come by. Itís unavailable a lot of places to pre-order, and rumor is Nintendo is pushing the digital release more.
I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy the day it was announced and made available. It's still listed as arriving to me on Friday, so here's to hoping I got in in time.
Old 09-13-20, 09:56 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,361
Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Yeah, I figured that would be the case with how guarded Nintendo is with their catalog titles.
Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy the day it was announced and made available. It's still listed as arriving to me on Friday, so here's to hoping I got in in time.
I didnít pre-order so hopefully that wasnít a mistake. Hoping to find one in store. I knew it had a limited release window, but I didnít expect it to be scarce to find. For the sake of being collectible Iíd rather have the physical version.
Old 09-13-20, 10:04 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 49,593
Received 724 Likes on 437 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

I am still seeing it available for in-store pre-order at Best Buy.
Old 09-13-20, 11:33 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,361
Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I am still seeing it available for in-store pre-order at Best Buy.
Pre-order in store, but not for shipping. I donít have a Best Buy. Hopefully one of the three local places I have will have it in stock (Walmart, Target, and GameStop). None of the three retailers I mentioned nor Amazon show it available either.
Old 09-14-20, 09:29 AM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,832
Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy the day it was announced and made available. It's still listed as arriving to me on Friday, so here's to hoping I got in in time.
Same here, and very glad I did. I don't pre-order games as a general rule, but this is a physical edition that I knew I wanted to have, and I don't worry about Nintendo releasing games in an unfinished state, especially considering these aren't new games.
Old 09-14-20, 03:24 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
redbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shirley, MA
Posts: 1,602
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

I'm going to get this digital, do I understand this correctly?

If I purchase on my Primary Switch, any user can play the game on that switch? And at the same MY user (and ONLY my user) can play on our Switch Lite?

Can other family uses play on the Switch Lite if no one else is playing at same time on the primary Switch?
Old 09-14-20, 04:00 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,507
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Sunshine catches a lot of negativity, but I remember really enjoying it. If I ever buy this collection, I'll be buying it for Sunshine.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (09-14-20)
Old 09-14-20, 04:21 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,787
Received 298 Likes on 230 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by redbill View Post
I'm going to get this digital, do I understand this correctly?

If I purchase on my Primary Switch, any user can play the game on that switch? And at the same MY user (and ONLY my user) can play on our Switch Lite?

Can other family uses play on the Switch Lite if no one else is playing at same time on the primary Switch?
No, unless they play under your user. It's basically a license check: if you're using a "secondary" console you can only play as the account that actually bought the game. However, you can play simultaneously if they use a different account on the primary switch and you use your account on the secondary switch (though I don't think there's any multiplayer anyway).
Old 09-15-20, 06:37 AM
  #64  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
redbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shirley, MA
Posts: 1,602
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
No, unless they play under your user. It's basically a license check: if you're using a "secondary" console you can only play as the account that actually bought the game. However, you can play simultaneously if they use a different account on the primary switch and you use your account on the secondary switch (though I don't think there's any multiplayer anyway).
thanks, I was annoyed when I got Pokemon DLC, because I thought my son & wife could play at same time, but only my account could play on the Lite. I also assume the 2nd one has to be able to connect to wifi to verify the license before using?
Old 09-15-20, 10:22 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,832
Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Sunshine catches a lot of negativity, but I remember really enjoying it. If I ever buy this collection, I'll be buying it for Sunshine.
I never understood the hate that Sunshine got. I remember a lot of complaints that the backpack was "gimmicky," but I thought it was a cool mechanic, and I loved the design of the maps. Then again, I'm a sucker for an island theme.

However, I do remember hating finding all the blue coins, and I won't bother with them again. They didn't figure into the star completion, and a lot of them were just found by randomly spraying things with no indicator. I didn't like that.

I have been dying to play this since getting rid of my GameCube.
Old 09-15-20, 10:46 AM
  #66  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,787
Received 298 Likes on 230 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by redbill View Post
thanks, I was annoyed when I got Pokemon DLC, because I thought my son & wife could play at same time, but only my account could play on the Lite. I also assume the 2nd one has to be able to connect to wifi to verify the license before using?
Yeah, it has to connect to wifi at least initially. I think there's a period of time it can go without checking in, but it's not that long. It's a quick check, though, so if you have the capability to run a hotspot from your phone that would suffice in a pinch.

I'm surprised about the DLC: I'd think only you could use it on the Lite (even if you bought the cartridge) but that any user can use it on your primary system. Are you saying both of you can't access the DLC at the same time, because that's contrary to how digital games actually work.
Old 09-15-20, 12:03 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 6,377
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

I just returned from GameStop and they had a mini poster of Super Mario 3D All-Stars. On the poster it said that if you play the game on the Switch Lite, you will have to use a joy con in order to play Super Mario Galaxy on it.
Old 09-15-20, 12:10 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,787
Received 298 Likes on 230 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I just returned from GameStop and they had a mini poster of Super Mario 3D All-Stars. On the poster it said that if you play the game on the Switch Lite, you will have to use a joy con in order to play Super Mario Galaxy on it.
Ugh, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Old 09-15-20, 01:54 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,347
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

The game is out there already, and people who have played it say you can use the touch screen to collect stars for SMG.
Old 09-16-20, 10:15 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 5,403
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Has anyone that pre-ordered received a shipping notification? I pre-ordered at Best Buy the day of the announcement and my credit card hasn't even been charged. I doubt I'll get it by Friday.
Old 09-16-20, 10:20 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
Thread Starter
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 23,027
Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
Has anyone that pre-ordered received a shipping notification?
Mine hasn't shipped from Best Buy, but it's marked as 'Getting It Ready'. I've had bad luck recently getting movies on time from BB, but they've been good about games.
Old 09-16-20, 10:58 AM
  #72  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 5,403
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Mine hasn't shipped from Best Buy, but it's marked as 'Getting It Ready'. I've had bad luck recently getting movies on time from BB, but they've been good about games.
All mine says is Pre-ordered....
Old 09-16-20, 11:01 AM
  #73  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
Thread Starter
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 23,027
Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
All mine says is Pre-ordered....
Here's what I mean:

Spoiler:
Old 09-16-20, 11:05 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,715
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

I got my item is shipped notice this morning and that it will arrive on Friday.
Old 09-16-20, 11:07 AM
  #75  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,997
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

I don’t want to be one of those people but I really want this game (physical is already on preorder). I’m thinking though if people are buying these at $200/$300 would it be wrong of me to sell and just get the digital? I’m having financial troubles like everyone else.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.