DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/651229-super-mario-3d-all-stars-switch%3B-9-18-20-a.html)

Michael Corvin 09-07-20 10:22 PM

Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

^ Yes. The motion was minimal, largely optional and hardly intrusive.

Adam Tyner 09-09-20 06:42 PM

Looks like the controls will mirror the Chinese version of Super Mario Galaxy on the Shield (which shares much of the same DNA as the Switch) — Y to spin and the right stick for the pointer. Motion controls remain but aren’t required. So everyone who wasn’t skeptical was right, and my fears were misplaced. :)

Goldberg74 09-12-20 01:55 PM

Six more days until I get to play Super Mario Sunshine on the Switch!!!

Here's a wallpaper to celebrate!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...70d3c1bac2.jpg

Mike86 09-13-20 09:17 PM

So it’s looking like the physical release of this may be hard to come by. It’s unavailable a lot of places to pre-order, and rumor is Nintendo is pushing the digital release more.

bluetoast 09-13-20 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13805022)
So it’s looking like the physical release of this may be hard to come by. It’s unavailable a lot of places to pre-order, and rumor is Nintendo is pushing the digital release more.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case with how guarded Nintendo is with their catalog titles.

Goldberg74 09-13-20 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13805022)

I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy the day it was announced and made available. It's still listed as arriving to me on Friday, so here's to hoping I got in in time. ;)

Mike86 09-13-20 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13805039)
Yeah, I figured that would be the case with how guarded Nintendo is with their catalog titles.

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13805040)
I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy the day it was announced and made available. It's still listed as arriving to me on Friday, so here's to hoping I got in in time. ;)

I didn’t pre-order so hopefully that wasn’t a mistake. Hoping to find one in store. I knew it had a limited release window, but I didn’t expect it to be scarce to find. For the sake of being collectible I’d rather have the physical version.

Decker 09-13-20 10:04 PM

I am still seeing it available for in-store pre-order at Best Buy.

Mike86 09-13-20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13805053)
I am still seeing it available for in-store pre-order at Best Buy.

Pre-order in store, but not for shipping. I don’t have a Best Buy. Hopefully one of the three local places I have will have it in stock (Walmart, Target, and GameStop). None of the three retailers I mentioned nor Amazon show it available either.

spainlinx0 09-14-20 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13805040)

Same here, and very glad I did. I don't pre-order games as a general rule, but this is a physical edition that I knew I wanted to have, and I don't worry about Nintendo releasing games in an unfinished state, especially considering these aren't new games.

redbill 09-14-20 03:24 PM

I'm going to get this digital, do I understand this correctly?

If I purchase on my Primary Switch, any user can play the game on that switch? And at the same MY user (and ONLY my user) can play on our Switch Lite?

Can other family uses play on the Switch Lite if no one else is playing at same time on the primary Switch?

lopper 09-14-20 04:00 PM

Sunshine catches a lot of negativity, but I remember really enjoying it. If I ever buy this collection, I'll be buying it for Sunshine.

fujishig 09-14-20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by redbill (Post 13805358)
I'm going to get this digital, do I understand this correctly?

If I purchase on my Primary Switch, any user can play the game on that switch? And at the same MY user (and ONLY my user) can play on our Switch Lite?

Can other family uses play on the Switch Lite if no one else is playing at same time on the primary Switch?

No, unless they play under your user. It's basically a license check: if you're using a "secondary" console you can only play as the account that actually bought the game. However, you can play simultaneously if they use a different account on the primary switch and you use your account on the secondary switch (though I don't think there's any multiplayer anyway).

redbill 09-15-20 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13805394)
No, unless they play under your user. It's basically a license check: if you're using a "secondary" console you can only play as the account that actually bought the game. However, you can play simultaneously if they use a different account on the primary switch and you use your account on the secondary switch (though I don't think there's any multiplayer anyway).

thanks, I was annoyed when I got Pokemon DLC, because I thought my son & wife could play at same time, but only my account could play on the Lite. I also assume the 2nd one has to be able to connect to wifi to verify the license before using?

spainlinx0 09-15-20 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 13805383)
Sunshine catches a lot of negativity, but I remember really enjoying it. If I ever buy this collection, I'll be buying it for Sunshine.

I never understood the hate that Sunshine got. I remember a lot of complaints that the backpack was "gimmicky," but I thought it was a cool mechanic, and I loved the design of the maps. Then again, I'm a sucker for an island theme.

However, I do remember hating finding all the blue coins, and I won't bother with them again. They didn't figure into the star completion, and a lot of them were just found by randomly spraying things with no indicator. I didn't like that.

I have been dying to play this since getting rid of my GameCube.

fujishig 09-15-20 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by redbill (Post 13805664)
thanks, I was annoyed when I got Pokemon DLC, because I thought my son & wife could play at same time, but only my account could play on the Lite. I also assume the 2nd one has to be able to connect to wifi to verify the license before using?

Yeah, it has to connect to wifi at least initially. I think there's a period of time it can go without checking in, but it's not that long. It's a quick check, though, so if you have the capability to run a hotspot from your phone that would suffice in a pinch.

I'm surprised about the DLC: I'd think only you could use it on the Lite (even if you bought the cartridge) but that any user can use it on your primary system. Are you saying both of you can't access the DLC at the same time, because that's contrary to how digital games actually work.

Sonny Corinthos 09-15-20 12:03 PM

I just returned from GameStop and they had a mini poster of Super Mario 3D All-Stars. On the poster it said that if you play the game on the Switch Lite, you will have to use a joy con in order to play Super Mario Galaxy on it.

fujishig 09-15-20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13805836)
I just returned from GameStop and they had a mini poster of Super Mario 3D All-Stars. On the poster it said that if you play the game on the Switch Lite, you will have to use a joy con in order to play Super Mario Galaxy on it.

Ugh, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

majorjoe23 09-15-20 01:54 PM

The game is out there already, and people who have played it say you can use the touch screen to collect stars for SMG.

lwhy? 09-16-20 10:15 AM

Has anyone that pre-ordered received a shipping notification? I pre-ordered at Best Buy the day of the announcement and my credit card hasn't even been charged. I doubt I'll get it by Friday.

Adam Tyner 09-16-20 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13806422)
Has anyone that pre-ordered received a shipping notification?

Mine hasn't shipped from Best Buy, but it's marked as 'Getting It Ready'. I've had bad luck recently getting movies on time from BB, but they've been good about games.

lwhy? 09-16-20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13806424)
Mine hasn't shipped from Best Buy, but it's marked as 'Getting It Ready'. I've had bad luck recently getting movies on time from BB, but they've been good about games.

All mine says is Pre-ordered....

Adam Tyner 09-16-20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13806457)
All mine says is Pre-ordered....

Here's what I mean:

The Questyen 09-16-20 11:05 AM

I got my item is shipped notice this morning and that it will arrive on Friday.

Deadman31 09-16-20 11:07 AM

I don’t want to be one of those people but I really want this game (physical is already on preorder). I’m thinking though if people are buying these at $200/$300 would it be wrong of me to sell and just get the digital? I’m having financial troubles like everyone else.