DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/651229-super-mario-3d-all-stars-switch%3B-9-18-20-a.html)

beavis69 09-04-20 02:17 AM

Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch; 9/18/20)

Come on guys, why would they show it being played portable in the direct if you couldn't do it in real life. Squash the rumors.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/214...n-controls-wii

Sonny Corinthos 09-04-20 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800132)
Come on guys, why would they show it being played portable in the direct if you couldn't do it in real life. Squash the rumors.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/214...n-controls-wii

Thank you for this information. This would have been a deal breaker if you had to use joy cons to play.

Adam Tyner 09-04-20 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800132)

But it does sound like you can't use the Pro Controller to play Galaxy, and that's a drag.

fujishig 09-04-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13800205)
But it does sound like you can't use the Pro Controller to play Galaxy, and that's a drag.

Polygon reached out to Nintendo for clarification about the extent of required motion controls in Super Mario Galaxy in Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and received the following statement:

Super Mario Galaxy is supported in TV, Tabletop and Handheld Modes. In TV and Tabletop modes, motion controls are required for pointer functionality. In Handheld Mode, pointer functionality has been adapted to use Touch Screen.

Nintendo also confirmed that Super Mario 3D All-Stars supports the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.
Oh, you meant to play Galaxy in particular. I don't remember, was pointer functionality essential? It does sound like another "The World Ends With You" situation.

Decker 09-04-20 10:28 AM

I barely remember playing that game. Were motion controls absolutely essential to gameplay or were they gimmicky and annoying like that Donkey Kong game?

Adam Tyner 09-04-20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13800214)
I barely remember playing that game.

I played through it maybe 5 years ago? I definitely remember a lot of pointing and shooting to get the little star things and to blast Mario around.

beavis69 09-04-20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13800205)

Joys cons are only needed for co op. Pro controller work

https://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...functionality/

Adam Tyner 09-04-20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800252)
Joys cons are only needed for co op. Pro controller work

Are we reading different things? From that link (which quotes the same article posted earlier):

Super Mario Galaxy is supported in TV, Tabletop and Handheld Modes. In TV and Tabletop modes, motion controls are required for pointer functionality. In Handheld Mode, pointer functionality has been adapted to use Touch Screen.

I don't see anything saying that you can play Super Mario Galaxy exclusively on the Pro Controller.

beavis69 09-04-20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13800254)
Are we reading different things? From that link (which quotes the same article posted earlier):
I don't see anything saying that you can play Super Mario Galaxy exclusively on the Pro Controller.

Fans will also be happy to hear that Super Mario 3D All-Stars supports the Pro Controller.”

Adam Tyner 09-04-20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800258)
Fans will also be happy to hear that Super Mario 3D All-Stars supports the Pro Controller.”

That doesn't answer the question. Super Mario 3D All-Stars can support the Pro Controller, thanks to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. It can also require motion controls (or the touchscreen) for Super Mario Galaxy, which is what Nintendo is explicitly saying.

Are you seeing something I'm not?

Mike86 09-04-20 12:01 PM

Super Mario Galaxy relied pretty heavily on motion controls from what I remember. I think that’s a lot of the reason why I didn’t finish it. Some parts were frustrating and I couldn’t pass so I wound up giving up.

The Cow 09-04-20 12:06 PM

Agree, it is still not clear. I also read that article such that joy-cons would be required for Galaxy.

beavis69 09-04-20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13800260)
That doesn't answer the question. Super Mario 3D All-Stars can support the Pro Controller, thanks to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. It can also require motion controls (or the touchscreen) for Super Mario Galaxy, which is what Nintendo is explicitly saying.

Are you seeing something I'm not?

https://gonintendo.com/stories/36811...uper-mario-gal

It keeps saying over and over that pro controller can be played with all three. I never played galaxy so I can’t speak to how much pointer was needed, but it seems fucking stupid that they would say you can play with the pro controller but can’t beat the game with the pro controller, so I’m going to have to take them as face value and say for the basic mechanics to beat the game single player you can use the pro controller. For extra functionality and co op you need joy one.

spainlinx0 09-04-20 12:55 PM

I had read on another the site that game had been adapted to not need motion controls unless you were playing co-op. I guess we need more explicit confirmation.

maxfisher 09-04-20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13800268)
https://gonintendo.com/stories/36811...uper-mario-gal

It keeps saying over and over that pro controller can be played with all three. I never played galaxy so I can’t speak to how much pointer was needed, but it seems fucking stupid that they would say you can play with the pro controller but can’t beat the game with the pro controller, so I’m going to have to take them as face value and say for the basic mechanics to beat the game single player you can use the pro controller. For extra functionality and co op you need joy one.

Yeah, assuming the info from that article is indeed from Nintendo, they explicitly say you can play Galaxy with the pro.

Adam Tyner 09-04-20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 13800317)
Yeah, assuming the info from that article is indeed from Nintendo, they explicitly say you can play Galaxy with the pro.

I suspect they're playing the Telephone Game, offering their interpretation and presenting it as fact. Every site I've seen discussing this is either referencing the text on Nintendo's websites or the quote that Nintendo sent Polygon, and neither of those say anything definitive about the Pro Controller specifically as it applies to Galaxy. But since the Pro Controller has a gyro in it like the Joy-Cons, maybe the same functionality can apply, even if it'll be kinda clumsy? I don't know. I'm skeptical we'll have any clarity on this until copies are actually in someone's hands.

DeFan 09-04-20 05:33 PM

Super Mario 64 is one of my favorite games ever but I'm waiting to see reviews before I buy. The preview shows the graphics on the handheld and I want to be sure it looks good on my TV before I buy. I'm fine with a digital copy. The one thing that insures something not being a collectible is when everyone thinks it will be a collectable.

Having a couple of extra games thrown in is a bonus and they look like fun.

RichC2 09-04-20 06:18 PM

Eh, I've played Mario 64 on plenty of emulators, it doesn't look amazing but it never looks "bad"

I can't decide if I want digital or physical. On one hand, the digital may port to whatever their next console is. On the other hand, you can keep a physical copy for as long as you have the hardware to play it. I don't anticipate Nintendo pulling access to their stuff anytime soon, but they do have a poor overall online infrastructure and there is a bunch of weird shit going on these days.

Mike86 09-04-20 06:33 PM

Super Mario 64 looks fairly decent still. I kind of wish that it would get a full remaster though. I think the DS version looks slightly better, but that version is sixteen years old already.

tanman 09-05-20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13800401)
Super Mario 64 looks fairly decent still. I kind of wish that it would get a full remaster though. I think the DS version looks slightly better, but that version is sixteen years old already.

As much as I love these games I really wish they would stop fiddlling around with "upgraded" graphics and just do a full on remaster for Super Mario 64 and Zelda OOT. They definitely deserve it. I think Link's Awakening proved that a new coat of paint can breathe new life into a game like that. Especially since that era is definitely the ugliest video game era and could benefit the most from a full on remaster. Plus they can sell it for full price.

Mike86 09-05-20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13800920)
As much as I love these games I really wish they would stop fiddlling around with "upgraded" graphics and just do a full on remaster for Super Mario 64 and Zelda OOT. They definitely deserve it. I think Link's Awakening proved that a new coat of paint can breathe new life into a game like that. Especially since that era is definitely the ugliest video game era and could benefit the most from a full on remaster. Plus they can sell it for full price.

Yeah. I will say that Super Mario 64 does look fairly good though. All it really needs is the textures to be smoothed out and remastered for the HD era. It would take a bit of work but I think it could be done.

Sonny Corinthos 09-06-20 09:43 AM

I think I will wait until the game is released before I buy it. If you have to use joy cons, I won't be getting it. I hate those things more than Wii motes if that's possible.

Mike86 09-06-20 09:52 AM

I think the Joy Cons at least work better than the Wiimote did personally. Still not much of a fan of motion controls though. I really feel like the game will have Pro Controller support.

It would be more work to have to add motion control features to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

Also if you look at the trailer these look to be straight ports, at least graphically. I doubt they’d take the time to add motion controls when they weren’t in those two games.

bluetoast 09-06-20 11:47 AM

Considering Mario 64 didn’t even have rumble support (at least the initial US version) and the level of remastering seems so minimal, I doubt it would have motion controls.

tanman 09-07-20 03:14 AM

Am I remembering mario galaxy wrong or are you guys just overly whiny about motion controls in that game? I thought I remember the only motions controls was shaking the wiimote to do a spin move and using the pointer function to collect the bits? It's not like it was poorly implemented.