Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Superhero video game of all time?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Best Superhero video game of all time?
Infamous (2009)
8.00%
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
0%
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (2005)
0%
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (2006)
4.00%
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2011)
0%
Injustice 2 (2017)
0%
Batman: Arkham Knight (2015)
4.00%
Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
24.00%
Spider-Man (2018)
28.00%
Batman: Arkham City (2011)
16.00%
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (2013)
0%
DC Universe online (2011)
0%
The Wonderful 101 (2013)
0%
Batman Returns (1992)
8.00%
Viewtiful Joe (2003)
0%
X-Men (1992)
0%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (1991)
0%
Marvel’s Avengers (Sep 2020)
0%
Other, please specify...
8.00%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Best Superhero video game of all time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Best Superhero video game of all time?

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I know I'm way in the minority, but I fell head over heels in love with Arkham Asylum but didn't enjoy basically anything about Arkham City. I played it through to completion practically out of spite, as if I wasn't going to succumb to defeat by this terrible game I'd paid $60 for. (City came out around my birthday, and I'd taken the week off work in no small part to immerse myself in it, so the disappointment hit me especially hard.) Asylum was so much tighter and more focused, and I preferred its atmosphere and Metroidvania-style exploration to City's more-for-the-sake-of-more open world bloat. I actually thought Arkham Knight was okay, but maybe that's because my expectations were so much lower that time around.
You aren’t alone. I loved Asylum and I just couldn’t get into City as much as I tried.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (08-11-20)
Old 08-11-20, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I know I'm way in the minority, but I fell head over heels in love with Arkham Asylum but didn't enjoy basically anything about Arkham City. I played it through to completion practically out of spite, as if I wasn't going to succumb to defeat by this terrible game I'd paid $60 for. (City came out around my birthday, and I'd taken the week off work in no small part to immerse myself in it, so the disappointment hit me especially hard.) Asylum was so much tighter and more focused, and I preferred its atmosphere and Metroidvania-style exploration to City's more-for-the-sake-of-more open world bloat. I actually thought Arkham Knight was okay, but maybe that's because my expectations were so much lower that time around.
I agree with you. To me Arkham Asylum is the best of the Arkham games. It just seems the most solid. The story is better in my view, and I agree the Asylum setting was cool.

Arkham City is still very good too. It definitely expanded on things and has some memorable aspects. It almost does a bit too much though and it’s easier to get sidetracked.

Arkham Knight is fine, but there are irritating aspects to it (the over-reliance on the Batmobile). Also the storyline, and in particular the twist reveal of who the Arkham Knight is was overly predictable.

I also actually think Arkham Origins is fairly decent. If for no other reason than the storyline is good. I never quite understood why it got shit on other than it wasn’t released by Rocksteady and didn’t bring much new to the table.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (08-11-20)
Old 08-11-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'd agree with the last few posts. Asylum is the better game overall (it's just tighter and more focused), but I had more fun with City because it just gave you so much more of everything to do. Knight was just too much of everything and not in a good way.
Old 08-11-20, 06:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

City is so much fun. Asylum was great, but compared to City, seems so small in scope. that was so linear and so narrow where as City is so open and so liberal and much to do. it's just a better overall game built from the workings of a damn fine original. i used to love linear. all linear in fact. Halo's, Bulletstorm, others, but after experiencing open world in many genres, i just like more to do and not less...
Old 08-11-20, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I kinda like linear games because they keep me on track. Some open world/sandbox games I find myself easily distracted doing whatever and wind up not accomplishing anything for hours. It’s a problem with how I play though, nothing wrong with the games themselves.
Old 08-18-20, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 956 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I don't know about all time great, but I remember Batman Returns on the SNES was a kickass game back in 1992. I enjoyed the heck out of that game.
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Yep, I voted for it because I played through that game more times than I can count.
Best beat em up and highly underrated I think only because it was based on an existing IP. I voted for this as well. Mad props OldBoy for including a lesser known superhero game.

But where is Batman 1989 for the NES?
Old 08-18-20, 07:06 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I voted for Infamous, because it is literally the only game on that list I have played. I'm not a superhero/comic book guy. But I also see mentions here of Ratchet & Clank, and God of War, and I've played most versions of them both, so if those count, they surpass Infamous on my faves list.
Old 08-18-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I would have to go with Arkham Asylum. Arkham City was fun, but Asylum had more linear story and was the first video game I actually had interest in playing and beating in a very long time.