Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the SSD in the upcoming game consoles really going to be a "game changer"?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-27-20, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that both the upcoming Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 are including an SSD, I have read a lot of articles saying that the SSD are going to be a real "game changer" for the upcoming next-gen consoles. However, in terms of actual game play, how much of difference will there actually be? The most commonly mentioned gains with an SSD is of course near instant loading, as well as not having to "hide" loading with things like the forced slow walk through a corridor or something like that. Now don't get me wrong, I like the idea of greatly reduced load times, but really, how much will an SSD actually change the game play in upcoming video games compared to current gen games? Thanks to anyone that replies.
Old 07-27-20, 06:13 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Is the SSD in the upcoming game consoles really going to be a "game changer"?

Overall, I don't know if it's a "game changer" but it does allow for devs to do cool stuff like jumping from world to world in this trailer:

Old 07-27-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Is the SSD in the upcoming game consoles really going to be a "game changer"?

I'm not a super "Geek" in terms of Tech numbers and stuff...but with all the talk on the various internal parts of each system....it's the SSD that has taken center stage...well at least with the PS5. I've read several article about all the parts and what they mean but I've seen far more on the Custom SSD. This is a good read on the PS5 one and how it ties in with the Memory, CPU, Flash, Compression, Expandable Storage....

Understanding The PS5's SSD: A deep Dive into Nex-Gen Storage Tech .....https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71340...ech/index.html
Old 07-27-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Considering how long is takes Assassin's Creed Odyssey to load it's a game changer IMO
Old 07-27-20, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

As long as Bloodborne-style load times are a thing of the past, I'm cool with it.

NVMe is ridiculously fast in any standard, the PCIe NVMe 4.0 that the PS5 is supposed to be using can apparently read at 5.5 - 9 GB/s, so I could see that having a very strong effect on these upcoming systems, install times will be bottled necked by disc read speeds/download speeds. By comparison, the PS4 shipped with a 5400 RPM hdd that read at a maximum of 116.5 MB/sec / 40.4MB/s non-sequential. With a SSD in the PS4, it capped out at 300 MB (PS4) - 600 MB (PS4 Pro).

Last edited by RichC2; 07-27-20 at 07:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (07-28-20)
Old 07-27-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,248 Likes on 764 Posts

Yes, in the sense that if you are playing one game and then decide you want to change and play another, you'll have to delete it to make space and download the next one.
Old 07-27-20, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Considering how long is takes Assassin's Creed Odyssey to load it's a game changer IMO
That may be, but Ghost of Tsushima, another huge open world game loads almost instantaneously. It's weird.
Old 07-27-20, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yes, in the sense that if you are playing one game and then decide you want to change and play another, you'll have to delete it to make space and download the next one.
Start saving now for that $200 2TB expansion.
Old 07-27-20, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
If you have like 20 games on your system than maybe. I always delete games as soon as I'm done with them anyways.
Old 07-28-20, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Start saving now for that $200 2TB expansion.

AMEN...but may end up even higher than that. When Sony releases their "Certified SSD List", we can expect prices for those to go up along with a more demand for SSD NVMe anyways....heck right now a decent 1TB sets you back about $120-$140...the 2 TB models are $220 and above....portable are no cheaper either...those getting a PS5 might need to look ahead at the cost of adding space....won't be no-where generous as a USB 4/5TB WD with space and cost wise you have with the PS4 now...
Old 07-28-20, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Iím currently ~110 hours in on this and it was the first thing I thought of. I donít think itís an exaggeration to say Iíd only be ~105 hours in without the load times.
Old 07-31-20, 07:00 PM

Thanks for all of the replies, and the SSD in the upcoming PlayStation 5 certainly sounds impressive. Hopefully developers will be able to think of lots of innovative ways to the use the SSD to help make true next-gen games that are not possible to make on current consoles because of technology limitations.
Old 07-31-20, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I played through Strange Brigade a month or so back and the load times were bonkers. So I'm definitely looking forward to the load times going away.
Old 07-31-20, 11:10 PM

Received 293 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Overall, I don't know if it's a "game changer" but it does allow for devs to do cool stuff like jumping from world to world in this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai3o0XtrnM8
I've never played a Ratchet and Clank game but I liked that preview. Is the series a continuing storyline?
Old 08-01-20, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by story View Post
I've never played a Ratchet and Clank game but I liked that preview. Is the series a continuing storyline?
Not really. There are recurring characters but this isnít a plot heavy series. You could catch up pretty easily.
And thereís also a movie you could watch. I can send you the Movies Anywhere Screen Pass if you ever want to watch it.
Old 02-07-21, 10:45 PM

Before the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 were released, there were a lot of bold statements about the SSD being able to essentially eliminate load times in games for those consoles:

Sonyís New PlayStation 5 SSD Wonít Just Reduce Load Time, Itíll End It

For those that have an Xbox Series X and/or a PlayStation 5, has the new SSD lived up to the hype?
Old 02-07-21, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 358 Likes on 244 Posts

For my money, anyway, it doesnít exactly live up to the hype. Massively, undeniably faster, without question, but talk of near-instantaneous loading after deaths or between levels doesnít quite reflect my experience so far on either console. (With some exceptions, like Miles Morales.) But maybe my expectations were unrealistic, or maybe itís because Iíve mostly been playing cross-gen games. Iím thrilled with the improvements, though, and I shudder to think how painful itíll be when I fire up one of my older consoles again.

Itís unreal how quickly both consoles boot up, though.
Old 02-08-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, it has. The slot in PS5 for the extra SSD for expanable storage however has not since it STILL has not been enabled....
Old 02-08-21, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 486 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Yes, it has. The slot in PS5 for the extra SSD for expanable storage however has not since it STILL has not been enabled....
Just count your blessings, because I still feel like the (non souped up) external drive is causing a lot of issues with the PS5, so I don't exactly trust them to enable a second SSD and have everything working right. I'm not sure if this hardware overall is just too complex, or they rushed it out, or both (probably both).
Old 02-08-21, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

It probably falls short of the hype, but Iíve found it extremely noticeable and welcome. When I got my Series X, I moved my old Xbox One X to the living room. On the handful of occasions Iíve used the old system in the last several months, the load times feel like they take forever after getting used to the speed of the Series X.
Old 02-08-21, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

It sounds stupid, but anything that gets you to spend less time in a game, waiting in an elevator, seems like a gamechanger.
Old 02-08-21, 07:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 319 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
My half-serious prediction is that the extra SSD slot never gets enabled.

(but we all know that wouldn't happen...)
Old 02-09-21, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

They still haven't enabled moving PS5 games to external drives for storage either right?
Old 02-09-21, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Music View Post
They still haven't enabled moving PS5 games to external drives for storage either right?
I'm not sure this will happen. Have they talked about it? Also, they need to start moving on getting the SSD expansion up and running.
Old 02-09-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Getting back to the actual topic: I wouldn't call it a game changer just a great feature to have. Switching between Switch games with 45 second load times and PS5 games where the load times are around 5 seconds adds up.
The following users liked this post:
dsa_shea (02-09-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.