Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Far Cry 6 (10/7/21)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-21, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Re: Far Cry 6 (10/7/21)

Originally Posted by OldBoy
How can you be stealthy? I keep trying and I keep dying. Or getting spotted and alarm goes off. Oy!
Crouch. Use the camera to tag where people are; it helps if you do advance scouting from a higher location. Don't leave bodies in plain sight. Prioritize disabling alarms; you can also shoot alarms and cameras with a silent weapon.

You're actually given a near-game-breaking stealth weapon near the very beginning; the starting rifle (MS-16, I think?) can be very easily modded to be silent and have a great scope, so as long as you line up your headshots well and don't overheat the silencer, you can clear out a camp without anyone ever getting wise to you. You also get access to a few other handy things fairly early on, like Chorizo as an amigo (he'll distract enemies so you can snipe / stab them), baseballs to throw as a distraction, or Juan's nailgun weapon which is completely silent and can one-shot enemies if you aim right. If you prioritize the treasure hunt you get in that cave near the beginning (I'm blanking on the name), you can get a panther amigo that does silent takedowns and a Supremo/weapon combo that lets you see enemies through walls and one-shot them (again, through walls).
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
OldBoy (10-15-21), uteotw (10-18-21)
Old 10-16-21, 05:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I still don’t get controls or essence of this game. I cleared my 2nd location, a poisonous prison camp. But again I tried stealth but maybe Juan alerted them? I dunno, but then I go blindly shooting at the highlighted images. Killing them. Used Supremo couple times. Shot some barrels. Killed more guys. I never got killed yet in game play, but I have gotten killed opening parachute while falling or something. The controls are just not responsive. I don’t remember 5 being like this. I got into and finished that just fine. I dunno. It’s not grabbing me and that is disappointing.

Anyine else having issuers with unresponsive controls?
Old 10-17-21, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Whatever you do, don’t play Special Operations. It hangs every single time on Xbox. Infinite loading.
Only way to fix it is quit the game.
Old 10-18-21, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Anyine else having issuers with unresponsive controls?
None whatsoever. It controls fine for me. Maybe play it at the Story difficulty, at least at first? Far Cry games are always toughest in the beginning.
Old 10-18-21, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, controls are pretty responsive for me too (on PS4).

Finally got to the main island, and my first guerilla outpost (the kind you can upgrade), and the game really opens up from there. Game started with a bang, then kinda slowed down for a sort of tutorial, but now it's finally opening up and getting better the more I play.

I'm getting some serious Just Cause vibes from the game.
Old 10-18-21, 11:33 AM

They start slow, but these games just get better and better as they go along because you're constantly rewarded for doing things by getting more and more weapons and abilities and upgrades. It's very addictive, whether you progress the story or move from outpost to outpost around the map, or just hunting and fishing.
The following users liked this post:
uteotw (10-18-21)
Old 10-18-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
They start slow, but these games just get better and better as they go along because you're constantly rewarded for doing things by getting more and more weapons and abilities and upgrades. It's very addictive, whether you progress the story or move from outpost to outpost around the map, or just hunting and fishing.
Totally true. The more I play this one the more I like it, and it's always, "OK, I'll just clear out just one more checkpoint..." I like the variety of enemies too, and the gloves that put out fire automatically come in, er, handy.
I just upgraded the Guerilla Garrison (or something like that) which opens up advanced weapons for purchase, but I need more pesos.
Old 10-21-21, 05:16 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just started this and really enjoying it (loved FC5). Upgraded my first base and did the triad idol first for a new amigo. Is there not a outside view when driving or flying?

Old 10-27-21, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I’ve been playing this since it came out and I’ve got to say, this is the first one where I really feel like they made the world too big. I’ve still got around 30% of the map to visit and have been coasting for a while. Once you get the rhythm down and acquire some top tier weapons, it gets to be too easy and has rapidly diminishing returns from the reward/upgrade loop. I’d probably quit the game without finishing it if it wasn’t for the parkour set and the ability to air drop combined with the wing suit. Those at least make navigating the map enough of a breeze to keep checking things off. All in all, it’s a very pretty game, the story’s ok as this series’ stories go and the combat is standard Far Cry fun until you get overpowered, but still, it feels a bit hollow compared to previous entries.
Old 10-28-21, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

This is the first Far Cry game for me where the story feels completely uninspired and dull.

The combat is a snoozefest - there is literally no tension.....at all.

Also, they STILL HAVEN'T fixed the driving yet - it's still as bad as it ever was.

With all that said....it still has charm and I love the series but Ubisoft now has to slow down and make some major changes to keep this series fresh.

Old 10-28-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Rival11
With all that said....it still has charm and I love the series but Ubisoft now has to slow down and make some major changes to keep this series fresh.
Jason Schreier said on Triple Click that he'd heard that Far Cry 7 is going to be "a radically different direction", but he didn't clarify what that meant.. I'm not sold (yet?) on where Assassin's Creed is going with Infinity, so I'm leery about something similar happening with Far Cry.

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I’ve been playing this since it came out and I’ve got to say, this is the first one where I really feel like they made the world too big.
Yeah, I literally laughed out loud when I zoomed out and saw the full map.

Once you get the rhythm down and acquire some top tier weapons, it gets to be too easy and has rapidly diminishing returns from the reward/upgrade loop.
I felt as if I landed on a weapons loadout unusually quickly. The starting MS-16 rifle is in the running as the best weapon in the game when fully modded -- instant headshot kills, completely silent (as long as you don't fire too quickly and overheat the silencer), and pretty accurate. If you're going for stealth, it's a better option than any of the sniper rifles, and it's not even a Unique weapon! One of the first Uniques I picked up was the Autocrat sidearm, which I didn't have any reason to switch out for the remainder of the game. La Varita never left rotation once I got it since it's so absurdly overpowered when paired with the Triador -- one-shotting enemies through walls. So weapon-wise for the overwhelming majority of the game, I really only had one slot I'd change out: a rocket launcher and a bow/arrow, depending on if I was taking down animals or helicopters.

As far as "armor" (I forget what the game calls it) goes, I generally did a mix of speed, stamina, auto-repairing vehicles, and auto-putting-out-fires.

The Amigos are pretty great. The croc seems kind of pointless once you have more options, but I found myself switching between the others pretty regularly.
The following users liked this post:
Bchbum (10-28-21)
Old 10-28-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Jason Schreier said on Triple Click that he'd heard that Far Cry 7 is going to be "a radically different direction", but he didn't clarify what that meant.. I'm not sold (yet?) on where Assassin's Creed is going with Infinity, so I'm leery about something similar happening with Far Cry.
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 10-28-21, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, I literally laughed out loud when I zoomed out and saw the full map.

I felt as if I landed on a weapons loadout unusually quickly. The starting MS-16 rifle is in the running as the best weapon in the game when fully modded -- instant headshot kills, completely silent (as long as you don't fire too quickly and overheat the silencer), and pretty accurate. If you're going for stealth, it's a better option than any of the sniper rifles, and it's not even a Unique weapon! One of the first Uniques I picked up was the Autocrat sidearm, which I didn't have any reason to switch out for the remainder of the game. La Varita never left rotation once I got it since it's so absurdly overpowered when paired with the Triador -- one-shotting enemies through walls. So weapon-wise for the overwhelming majority of the game, I really only had one slot I'd change out: a rocket launcher and a bow/arrow, depending on if I was taking down animals or helicopters.
I don't have La Varita, but I have some unique LMG that just sets everyone on fire and is amazing. I'm like Level 9 (whatever that means exactly in this game I'm not sure) and that gun is a L1 but I can't swap it out for anything that comes close.
Two things I find annoying (besides the driving still sucking): My guy can't seem to get up even the smallest rock or fence. I'm sure I'm spoiled from Assassin's Creed, and I'm not expecting my character to scale cliffs, but this is pretty bad. And two: Helicopters show up almost instantly basically every time I'm spotted and get engaged in a firefight. I finally got an RPG, but up until that point it was some rough going.
Overall I'm still really digging it, and some of the Revolver weapons are pretty awesome.
Old 10-28-21, 06:21 PM

^ Resolver weapons. Yeah, they are.
Old 10-28-21, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I would love if it was set in the far future like a full blown blood dragon gameplay mixed in with Blade Runner art style
Old 10-29-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Good review, and a channel I recommend following. They have some really fun videos.
Old 11-02-21, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well this is annoying. I’ve probably only got another night or two to wrap this up. I just went to play and it’s got 14% of an update downloaded. It won’t let me play without the update, but also keeps spitting out an error message whenever I try to resume downloading the update. I’ve never seen that happen before and am not sure if it’s a temporary issue or something going awry that would require deleting from my hard drive and reinstalling. If it ends up being the latter, I’m probably just trading it in and calling it a day without making it to the end.

Edit to add: Ok some googling showed that the current update removes the Danny Trejo mission, which was apparently accidentally released in the last update. I’d already played through that and got the reward for it, so I’m wondering if that’s related to the current snafu.
Old 11-02-21, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Well this is annoying. I’ve probably only got another night or two to wrap this up. I just went to play and it’s got 14% of an update downloaded. It won’t let me play without the update, but also keeps spitting out an error message whenever I try to resume downloading the update. I’ve never seen that happen before and am not sure if it’s a temporary issue or something going awry that would require deleting from my hard drive and reinstalling. If it ends up being the latter, I’m probably just trading it in and calling it a day without making it to the end.

Edit to add: Ok some googling showed that the current update removes the Danny Trejo mission, which was apparently accidentally released in the last update. I’d already played through that and got the reward for it, so I’m wondering if that’s related to the current snafu.
Shit. I literally just finished that one last night.

EDIT: It appears it didn’t affect me. But they still haven’t fixed the quick resume bug. Nor did they fix the special operations bug. Pathetic.

Last edited by nickdawgy; 11-03-21 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-03-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Shit. I literally just finished that one last night.

EDIT: It appears it didn’t affect me. But they still haven’t fixed the quick resume bug. Nor did they fix the special operations bug. Pathetic.
I've had no issues with either... odd.
Old 11-03-21, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I deleted the game last night and set it to install/update overnight. That seems to have fixed the problem, so I guess I’ll push through to the end. I was pretty pleased with how well AC: Valhalla performed at launch, but Far Cry 6 has been less than great and has me thinking I’ll wait for a price drop on the next Ubisoft release that interests me.
Old 11-03-21, 05:29 PM

I deleted the game last night and set it to install/update overnight. That seems to have fixed the problem, so I guess I’ll push through to the end. I was pretty pleased with how well AC: Valhalla performed at launch, but Far Cry 6 has been less than great and has me thinking I’ll wait for a price drop on the next Ubisoft release that interests me.
kinda feel same rn. Loved 5. This is just not gripping me now. Have new CoD coming. See how that fares.
Old 11-03-21, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Another wonderful bug that I got hit with prevents the insurgency leader from spawning, so you clear the checkpoints, clear a base, blow up an anti-aircraft cannon, finish a special ops mission, only to find the insurgency leader is in a base that's still marked as cleared. Nothing you can do except wait a week (or take your console offline and manually change the date to force an insurgency reset, then complete the first four phases all over again).

Can you guess what I did yesterday? (That was the last of my achievements too, so...errr, going out on a high note!)

kinda feel same rn. Loved 5.
Warts and all, 6 still ranks a good bit higher than 5 for me. 5 is by far my least favorite of the Far Cry games I've played in full (4, 5, New Dawn, 6).
Old 11-03-21, 06:39 PM

I've loved them all since 3 (well, besides the cavemen one). I am enjoying the hell out of this game even though it's nothing too different than previous ones.
Old 11-03-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I really dug 6 as well; it’s the first mainline FC game where I had good enough a time to seek out all the achievements! I wouldn’t have minded a slight delay for some additional polish, though — especially to deal with that nasty tearing — and I’m not sold on changes like the clothing perks and weird weapon balancing.
Old 11-03-21, 08:03 PM

Warts and all, 6 still ranks a good bit higher than 5 for me. 5 is by far my least favorite of the Far Cry games I've played in full (4, 5, New Dawn, 6).
it’s only one I played until 6, but I got into and really liked. Lot of fun I remembered and lots to do. 6 is just not addicting like 5 was for me. Still good, don’t get me wrong and I’m missioning along, just hasn’t been my yearn or go to yet, if at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.