DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Star Wars Squadrons - EA (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/650700-star-wars-squadrons-ea.html)

Adam Tyner 10-01-20 01:29 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13815604)
If you have a throttle, stick, and rudder pedals, youíre really in for a treat. And, if you happen to be able to afford VR, you may never want to take that headset off again.

This is part of the dilemma for me. If I get a VR headset, it'll be for the PS5. If I get a flight stick, it'll be for the Xbox Series X. But when I actually start playing Squadrons, I won't have a stick or a headset, so does it really matter? And yet I'm conflicted anyway!

maxfisher 10-01-20 01:38 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
If I still had PlayStation VR, this would be a no-brainer, day-one purchase. I just donít know how much Iíd enjoy it on a screen. The flying portions of Battlefront 2 were my least favorite parts of the game.

fujishig 10-01-20 01:51 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
So basically there is no next gen version, right, just backward compatibility on the new systems? Or do we still not know (I have no idea why they'd make a next gen version with no upgrades)?

Also no EA Play discount for Xbox Gamepass members on this until that feature launches in November... ugh.

Adam Tyner 10-01-20 02:09 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13815644)
So basically there is no next gen version, right, just backward compatibility on the new systems?


fujishig 10-01-20 03:28 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
Thanks!

Sometimes I hate you guys, though. I avoided this thread for so long, popped in and read that Polygon review, and now it's pre loading on my PS4 as we speak.

Deftones 10-01-20 05:42 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
Was kind of on the fence about the game but after seeing that review I am all in.

lopper 10-02-20 01:07 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
Damn I thought this came out later in the month. Took me by surprise. Went ahead and installed tonight, and will def check it out tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

Deftones 10-02-20 06:28 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
After playing this a bit, it is clear I would be one of the worst pilots in the Star Wars universe. :lol:

Adam Tyner 10-02-20 07:26 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13816642)
After playing this a bit, it is clear I would be one of the worst pilots in the Star Wars universe. :lol:

Ha!

I excitedly showed my wife the trailer a couple of weeks back, and her response was ďthis looks like something youíd hate.Ē It looks amazing, but Iím pretty sure Iíd be terrible at it. Iíll find out soon, Iím sure!

I donít think I saw this mentioned in the thread earlier, but I just saw that Squadrons supports crossplay (across all platforms!) by default.

lopper 10-02-20 07:31 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
I was really struggling with the controls at first, then I switched from M&K to controller and it made a world of difference.

And the VR experience is absolutely unreal. Just incredible.

maxfisher 10-02-20 08:27 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
I ended up caving and picking this up due to reviews and nostalgia. Just finished the prologue and itís great. Whenever Sony gets around to a wireless vr headset, this game makes it a day one purchase for me.

Edit to add: I didnít realize my PS Plus membership had expired until I just went to play multiplayer. Iíll probably just go through the story and then shelve it until I can play in VR.

DJariya 10-08-20 04:53 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
My sister bought this for me for my birthday and I started playing it last night,

I need a little time to get the hang of the controls. Struggling with the flying. Also, I'm currently a tie fighter pilot and there's a segment where I have to scan certain ships for rebels. That part is so fucking tedious.

Rob V 10-09-20 06:56 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
Gotta say that the first few missions are tedious and not fun. The banter with squad-mates is pointless and boring too.
I've read that it picks up after that though; so I'm holding out hope that the game becomes fun to me.

Sonny Corinthos 10-09-20 09:02 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Star Wars: Squadrons Dev Has No Plans for More Content.


https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wa...t-oculus-quest

Coming from EA, that's a shock. The usually try to milk every dime out of the consumers.

candyrocket786 10-09-20 09:21 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13820617)

Star Wars: Squadrons Dev Has No Plans for More Content.


https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wa...t-oculus-quest

Coming from EA, that's a shock. The usually try to milk every dime out of the consumers.

Sounds like I just pissed away my money then. I was hoping for more ships.

Noonan 10-12-20 12:33 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
I've only played through the prologue so far but this is super fun. Playing on PC with a flight stick. I was a huge fan of the dogfighting games of old (X Wing, Tie Fighter, Wing Commander series..etc), this is a great nod to those game.

lopper 10-12-20 03:31 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13820617)

Star Wars: Squadrons Dev Has No Plans for More Content.


https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wa...t-oculus-quest

Coming from EA, that's a shock. The usually try to milk every dime out of the consumers.

This is too bad. According to Origin, I've put in around 6hrs into the game, and while I really like it, I don't see myself playing too much more of it. It sure feels like I've seen and done all that this game has to offer. Some new ships and locals would've been nice.

The Cow 11-22-20 07:24 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
Any recent new verdicts on this one? It's on sale for $19.99 currently, but I'm still on the fence about it.

Deftones 11-22-20 08:14 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
On the fence for $20? Read the reviews. It is good.

story 11-22-20 09:02 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
I wish it was $20 at Target, but it's still $25. I would rather make it part of a local Target run than determine what else to buy from Amazon so I don't feel bad about yet another little package shipping my way to cut down on carbon footprint only for them to ship everything separate, anyway.

Michael Corvin 11-22-20 09:22 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
If you want to cut down on your carbon footprint, digital is only $3 more on both Live and PSN.

story 11-22-20 09:24 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
...Stop... please stop using my words against me...

Rob V 11-23-20 06:57 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
This game is good if you're into flight sims. Between combat missions, the prep scenes are redundant and the dialogue between characters is... lazy. Flight sims aren't my thing but if they were, $20 is very fair for this game.

Michael Corvin 11-23-20 08:57 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by story (Post 13847417)
...Stop... please stop using my words against me...

:lol:

Gooter 11-23-20 11:33 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
I ended up getting it at Gamestop *shudders* for $16. Only because I was next door at the grocery store. :D

Decker 12-09-20 11:25 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
Free Twitch Prime loot:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e64f51e34f.png

story 03-29-21 02:55 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by story (Post 13847403)
I wish it was $20 at Target, but it's still $25. I would rather make it part of a local Target run than determine what else to buy from Amazon so I don't feel bad about yet another little package shipping my way to cut down on carbon footprint only for them to ship everything separate, anyway.

So this finally hit $20 at Target this week. Is it worth it? I liked Star Wars Battlefront II but was never a good pilot at all. I like the Battlefield games but was never a good pilot at all. I liked Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order but never finished it. I like Star Wars. One left in stock at the Target about a mile away and I have some free time coming up to play a while next week. Whattaya think?

Adam Tyner 06-03-21 10:10 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13816682)
I excitedly showed my wife the trailer a couple of weeks back, and her response was ďthis looks like something youíd hate.Ē It looks amazing, but Iím pretty sure Iíd be terrible at it. Iíll find out soon, Iím sure!

I started playing the campaign yesterday, and...yup! I'm terrible. Instead of it feeling like a tense dogfight where I'm in hot pursuit of Imperial fighters, it feels like I spend most of my time spinning around in circles trying and failing to even get a TIE Fighter to appear on-screen. Whenever one of the combat-related tasks turns green for completion, half the time it seems like it's one of my AI squadmates that actually got the final shot, and I didn't even see what happened. I was playing at Pilot difficulty but had to drop it to Story in "Through Enemy Lines" because one of those stupid shuttles would always make it through, and I got sick of restarting that sequence over and over and over.

But I guess I'm masochistic enough to keep going! :p

Edit! Or maybe Iím just playing for the wrong team. :) I did a whole lot better in the following mission when I was actually in a TIE Fighter.

For anyone who didnít already know, itís free with PS+ this month and is on GamePass via EA Play.

story 06-04-21 08:25 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by story (Post 13912730)
So this finally hit $20 at Target this week... One left in stock at the Target about a mile away and I have some free time coming up to play a while next week. Whattaya think?

Good thing you bought it!
:rock2:

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13941781)
For anyone who didnít already know, itís free with PS+ this month and is on GamePass via EA Play.

Good thing you forgot you bought it and never played it!
:doh:

Adam Tyner 06-04-21 08:36 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
I'm in a kinda/sorta similar situation!

One of my relatives got Squadrons for me as a birthday gift but decided to wait until Christmas to give it to me in-person...but because I didn't travel for Christmas, I didn't wind up getting the game until the week before last, by which point everyone was either giving it away or about to give it away. :p

Obi-Wan Jabroni 06-04-21 10:16 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 
At least neither of you bought it for full price at launch and never opened it, like for example...

<--this guy did

Decker 06-04-21 10:24 AM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13941921)
At least neither of you bought it for full price at launch and never opened it, like for example...

<--this guy did

Yay, I waited until Black Friday pricing before buying it and never opening it! :banana:

Michael Corvin 06-04-21 08:12 PM

Re: Star Wars Squadrons - EA
 

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13941781)
I started playing the campaign yesterday, and...yup! I'm terrible. Instead of it feeling like a tense dogfight where I'm in hot pursuit of Imperial fighters, it feels like I spend most of my time spinning around in circles trying and failing to even get a TIE Fighter to appear on-screen. Whenever one of the combat-related tasks turns green for completion, half the time it seems like it's one of my AI squadmates that actually got the final shot, and I didn't even see what happened. I was playing at Pilot difficulty but had to drop it to Story in "Through Enemy Lines" because one of those stupid shuttles would always make it through, and I got sick of restarting that sequence over and over and over.

But I guess I'm masochistic enough to keep going! :p

Edit! Or maybe Iím just playing for the wrong team. :) I did a whole lot better in the following mission when I was actually in a TIE Fighter.

For anyone who didnít already know, itís free with PS+ this month and is on GamePass via EA Play.

Sounds like my experience and given such, not sure how much further I'll push on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.