Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Resident Evil Village (Xbox, PS5, PC; 5/7/2021)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Evil Village (Xbox, PS5, PC; 5/7/2021)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Resident Evil Village (Xbox, PS5, PC; 5/7/2021)

Picked up a copy for PS4 yesterday.

Probably won't get a chance to start it until next weekend
Old 05-08-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Played it some more this morning. Finally got to Duke the Merchant to get some stuff and the first actual encounter with Lady D. What cracks me up is that Ethan has gotten fucked up beyond belief, I have no idea how he's still alive. I mean, I can guess, but still.
Old 05-08-21, 04:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

^ yeah, started this (officially) today and that first few minutes where he gets maimed was a little disconcerting. i mean i can understand by the end of the game, but to lose some fingers in the first few is ballsy and i hate not being whole through most of the game. but, g-fdamn if this is not a riveting and heart pounding game. those Lycans are no joke. Lycans on horses, just phenomenal. can't wait to see what else is in store...
Old 05-08-21, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
^ yeah, started this (officially) today and that first few minutes where he gets maimed was a little disconcerting. i mean i can understand by the end of the game, but to lose some fingers in the first few is ballsy and i hate not being whole through most of the game. but, g-fdamn if this is not a riveting and heart pounding game. those Lycans are no joke. Lycans on horses, just phenomenal. can't wait to see what else is in store...
Just imagine what else is in store if fingers are lost immediately. =p

I'm still trying to piece together how the hell Ethan does what he does. You'll know when you get to it what I'm referring to. I wanna talk about it but I don't think anyone here has gotten to that part yet.. :/

I've gotten to the point where
Spoiler:
I just finished off the giant lady after she transformed into some massive dragon-like kraken whatevermabob and was flying around the roof of the castle.Really didn't think that would happen so soon into the game either as trailers all made it seem like she played a bigger role.
Old 05-08-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Picked up my preorder from Best Buy. Free Steelbook is very disappointingly dull

​​​​
Old 05-08-21, 05:04 PM

Nah, gonna enjoy this and take my time. It feels so much like an RE game, especially bc of 7. But staples from franchise remain intact throughout. Especially the save typewriters. I had no idea where I was finding one in beginning. There was so little to get in terms of stuff and then more started popping up. And yeah only shotgun full proof against Lycans thus far. I did blow some to hell shooting a barrel of gunpowder. My knife and block killed maybe 2 and took a bit. But, the shocking and...
Spoiler:
brutal killing of Mia by Chris Redfield (I mean he popped off a clip and a half in her), who saved them in 7, right in the beginning

has me actually wanting to know more and what’s up with baby Rose and what she is key for. Makes me almost
Spoiler:
think 7 & 8 are prequels and Rose is perhaps what started it all in entire Resident Evil series.

I dunno, probably not.
Old 05-09-21, 05:38 PM

This really is a beautiful looking game, but the amount of abuse Ethan takes and all of the cutscenes in beginning is getting redundant. I guess I just got pass rotary blade and mine by that supernatural guy with big axe type weapon. Hope there is more consistent, non-interrupted action coming up.
Old 05-10-21, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WTF... So Baby Rose
Spoiler:
is apparently in multiple pieces placed into various objects.... and we gotta collect them all to put her back together again? Didn't realize Rose was humpty dumpty.
This story just gets weirder and weirder... but damn I'm enjoying it. Currently a little over 7 hours into the game, still not done.

Also can anyone explain to me how Ethan puts
Spoiler:
his entirely severed hand back together and it reattaches itself as if it was never cut off?
Old 05-10-21, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby

Also can anyone explain to me how Ethan puts
Spoiler:
his entirely severed hand back together and it reattaches itself as if it was never cut off?
It was something they established in RE7 - something to do with a change in his physiology, reacting to that medicine - there was a scene in RE7 where he reattached his severed leg by pouring that medicine over it.
Old 05-10-21, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
It was something they established in RE7 - something to do with a change in his physiology, reacting to that medicine - there was a scene in RE7 where he reattached his severed leg by pouring that medicine over it.
My step brother also mentioned this when I spoke with him about it today, but for some reason I seem to have completely forgotten about that happening in RE7.

One thing I can say is for whatever reason RE8 doesn't seem to give me motion sickness nearly as badly as RE7 did. Glad that hasn't been much of an issue this time around, though I can't really explain what is different between the two that would've affected it. That is a big reason why I've never really desired to revisit 7, despite being a huge fan of the entire franchise and having played all of the others through multiple times.
Old 05-10-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Played it this morning and beat Lady Demitriscu. I'm back in the village, but will resume later tonight.
Old 05-10-21, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
My step brother also mentioned this when I spoke with him about it today, but for some reason I seem to have completely forgotten about that happening in RE7.
It was actually a missable cut-scene...

The following users liked this post:
Koby (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 08:19 PM

I wish I could play this more. The little bit I got this weekend was way to little snd has me yearning to play so bad bc it’s been so good. Amped up 4 and 7 combined was dead on balls accurate in review. Even one hallway I went through in or near castle was like Deja vu of the same hallway in 4 with ravens you can shoot. It was like eerily similar. Everything else, certainly, Batshit crazy and different, but similar. Still so good.
Old 05-13-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a fan of the boss fight with Heisenberg
Spoiler:
battlebots style
... Just wasn't fun like the rest of the battles.

Finally learned why Chris shot Mia at the start... although I had kind of already pieced it together and guessed what was up before the reveal happened. Chris' actions and lack of explanation leave much to be desired to be honest. Could've been handled much better and Chris' explanation for why he didn't take two seconds to explain at the start was just terrible.

Gotta be nearing the end game now... I think everyone has been taken out except for Mother Miranda at this point.
Old 05-13-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And.... I've finished the game. 10 hours and 34 minutes.

That was amazing. Lots of lore info dumps and links back to the very beginning... Finally learn whats up with Ethan's unusual body and why he can piece himself back together, etc... The last hour of the game just melts your brain with so much information, it's unreal... it's fantastic. Loved it. Enjoy the game folks, you're in for a ride.
Old 05-14-21, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Wrapped it up today. Fantastic game and I'm looking forward to playing through it again. I thought 7 was great but this blows it away in every aspect.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (05-14-21)
Old 05-15-21, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Wrapped it up today. Fantastic game and I'm looking forward to playing through it again. I thought 7 was great but this blows it away in every aspect.
I just started playing through it again today to try and get all the collectibles. Just got done with the castle.
Old 05-15-21, 05:25 PM

This is so much fun. Totally expands on 7, especially in locale. No more only the fucking house Mixes in elements of what made series great with puzzles and stuff. Also, very reminiscent of 4 (my fav game ever). Just loving this great experience thus far. And only in Castle Demetricus (sp?). Beat one sis and got out into courtyard. Just having a blast and really is an eerie game and looking forward to see where it goes. I know I’m very early on.
Old 05-16-21, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I just started playing through it again today to try and get all the collectibles. Just got done with the castle.
I unlocked unlimited ammo grenade launcher on my new game plus and I'm flying through. I'm already up to the factory.
Old 05-16-21, 04:05 PM

Isn’t the thumbnail pic and I believe cover of physical box kinda a spoiler? I mean I don’t want to look too much into it since I’m at beginning. But, that is a suped up Cris Redfield, no?

And what ever that potion Ethan carries to heal, I want some of that. I mean to fuse so that it works again, a completely severed hand is a miracle of modern science.
Old 05-16-21, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just wrapped up my second playthrough and got all the collectibles. Having unlimited ammo on the grenade launcher made most of the bosses a breeze. Such a fun game. I love the Resident Evil series and this most likely moved in to my number 1 spot.
Old 05-16-21, 06:32 PM

Wow. That is high praise. While I think 4 will always remain my #1 game of this series and #1 of all-time, I think this will be right up there. Very close, I’m having so much fun and actually following clues to solve puzzles and stuff and the satisfaction of finding that last hidden piece of scrap so a room turns blue is magnificent. Having a blast and played copious amounts this weekend. Well, for me, anyway...

And you can get unlimited grenade launcher ammo on 2nd play through? I think it took me many finished games of RE4 before I could do that with rocket launcher and every other weapon.
Old 05-19-21, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

How's the pacing in this one vs VII? I just fired that one back up and find myself just kinda bored.
Old 05-20-21, 06:00 PM

Non stop exploring and action.
Old 05-22-21, 06:26 PM

This is by far, the most fun I’ve had playing a video game in past 2 years or so.

I love the aesthetic, the lore (told so deviously by the Duke). I actually read everything and want to know. It keeps pulling me in the deeper I go.

I just killed Lady Dimitrescu. Not that hard actually. Didn’t even need or even have a restore health bottle. But now, I guess onto 4 lords. How far along am I? Seems like just started.

Just excellent mechanics and I actually jumped once, at a particular Lycan popping up at a particular moment. Honestly, haven’t jumped from a game since Resident Evil 4 (when rattle snake jumped out of box that I broke), thee best of the franchise and my #1 game ever.

This one is most likely going to be second best RE game for me. We’ll see if crack my top 5 all-time.

But FPS mechanics that started with 7 and much wider, varied setting. With tons of exploration and action with puzzles that remind me of 4, though so far, pretty easy.

Just great all around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.