DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Do you get frustrated when a game you liked, haven’t played for awhile, and can’t remember how to play? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/650657-do-you-get-frustrated-when-game-you-liked-haven%92t-played-awhile-can%92t-remember-how-play.html)

OldBoy 06-06-20 06:38 PM

Do you get frustrated when a game you liked, haven’t played for awhile, and can’t remember how to play?

I tried going back into Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey. It is kinda intricate controls, but before I was kicking ass, got to level 27, knew the super powers buttons, how to block and scan and assassinate enemies. I’m not even sure how to track a mission or what is story and what isn’t. I went into the controls setting to see what buttons did what, but still hard and really want to get back bc I was loving before.

Ever get that way and just completely lost when get back in? I think I’ve even started a game over to progress and learn like I did first time...

Michael Corvin 06-06-20 08:07 PM

Re: Do you get frustrated when a game you liked, haven’t played for awhile, and can’t remember how to pla

If I don't finish a game and move on to something else, I'll rarely go back to it for this exact reason. FPS games are different as they're easy to jump into but most other genres suffer from long breaks.

It's not just controls though. You get lost on the story, where you were on the map, what you were collecting and/or saving to buy, difficulty of jumping into the middle of a game but playing like it's your first time, etc.

One I wish I hadn't done this with was Horizon Zero Dawn. Loved what I played but I got interrupted for some reason and never went back.

Dan 06-06-20 08:26 PM

Re: Do you get frustrated when a game you liked, haven’t played for awhile, and can’t remember how to pla

The Witness is the perfect example for me.
Spent a ton of time with it when it first came out, then gave it a break for a few months. Came back to it, and couldn't recall all of the rules, and some of them got a bit complex. Just couldn't get back into it after that.
Great game, but that was a huge downfall to it, IMO.

OldBoy 06-06-20 09:16 PM

ugh, don't say that. there has got to be hope without starting over. i'm gonna take another crack tomorrow, but i was desynchronizing left and right...

d2cheer 06-07-20 10:12 AM

:lol: This just happened to me. I finally finished Fallout 4 and had to relearn basically how to play it had been over 2 years since I played it.

Michael Corvin 06-08-20 12:20 AM

Remembered another one. Middle Earth: Shadow of War. I'm a slow learner when it comes to combo based games and am generally manage by button mashing or just sticking with a few easy moves. That being said, the Middle Earth and Batman games do a great job of teaching you the game so you end up feeling like a badass and I do end up learning far more than I expect. They are so heavily based around the combat though that it's impossible to just jump back in after being away for any length of time. I just get my ass kicked over and over again until I'm frustrated.