Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which do you like more? Games of old or games brand new.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which do you like more? Games of old or games brand new.
Old (64 bit or less, perhaps reg PlayStation, or Nintendo GameCube and orig. Xbox)
40.00%
New (beautiful 3D game renderings)
60.00%
Other, please specify...
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-20, 10:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

So I know games do much more in depth and actually have depth and I would go with new. I yearn for old, but they never hold up. Think this will be landslide, but curious nonetheless...

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-16-20 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Which do you like more? Games of old or games brand new.

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I yearn for old, but they never hold up.
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. In the last 6-9 months I think I've played more old games than anything. Halo 2, Rock Band 3, Mario Party 2, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Burnout Revenge, Turok, Ms. Pac-Man and a handful of NES and arcade classics to name a few.

I think there is a clear delineation in older games, say Atari & arcade titles thru N64/PS1 and then Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3). The first era holds up quite well and arcade games, NES & SNES era games are infinitely replayable because gameplay was king. Once big open 3D worlds became a thing on the Xbox & PS2 generation, things get murkier because they're all built on realism and don't look as great once you're used to something more modern. This also is ignoring an entire library of downloadable games like Pac-Man Championship Edition, Geometry Wars, Zuma or Pixeljunk games, which all hold up just fine.

So despite having every Nintendo & Xbox console hooked up currently(and having just bought my first arcade machine, Ms Pac-Man last week), I want new gaming experiences to go along side my old favorites. There's nothing quite like tearing through Midgard as an axe wielding Kratos or swinging through New York city as Spider-man for the first time or choosing my way through Life is Strange with two characters I love or even much simpler going through my 500th run in Resogun. I'm very much looking forward to being a samurai in Ghost of Tsushima and romping around in Cyberpunk.

I want new games to be added to my burgeoning list of favorites and that only happens by playing new games.

So long story short, I like both equally, which doesn't have a poll option.
Old 05-16-20, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I enjoy a mix of both. I wish I still had all of my old consoles and games, but there's nothing like popping in a new game and seeing how far gaming has evolved over the years. Just to compare it to New Horizons, I put in Animal Crossing: City Folk yesterday on the Wii and couldn't believe how badly it has aged.

Old 05-16-20, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

I enjoy a mix of both as well. I like the simplicity of older games at times, but I like newer games for graphics and more in depth storylines.
Old 05-16-20, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

New.

I just don't have the nostalgia for any older games at all. I've tried going back to some older titles on the SNES Classic I bought for my kids and the virtual console on Switch, but I lose interest almost immediately. I can't wrap my head around why I'd go back and play an old game when there's almost certainly a newer, better version available.
Old 05-16-20, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I think there is a clear delineation in older games, say Atari & arcade titles thru N64/PS1 and then Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3). The first era holds up quite well and arcade games, NES & SNES era games are infinitely replayable because gameplay was king.
I mostly agree with this, although I'd probably be enough of a pest to subdivide those more. I'd happily replay arcade games from nearly 40 years ago, but I'd be reluctant to want to play something on the 2600 (even if it was a port of a contemporaneous arcade game). I can replay some NES, SNES, and Genesis games, but it's something I very, very rarely do. I was a PC gamer after that, so I have zero nostalgia for the PSX/Saturn era, and the prospect of playing an early 3D game holds absolutely no appeal to me. The PS2/Xbox era has been difficult for me to revisit; I see enough of the modern era to appreciate elements of them, but a lot of modern conveniences I'd expect weren't a thing yet, and they were hamstrung by tech/resources at the time. I can't say that I enjoyed revisiting the first two Halo games last month, for instance. GameCube is a different story, especially since I'd rather play Double Dash than any Mario Kart game since. PS3/360 titles tend to hold up well enough for me, although I don't go back to them all that often.
Old 05-16-20, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Depends.
Old 05-16-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Mix. I tend to lose enthusiasm for current gen gaming because so much of it is a rehash without growth and there's been a lack of love for the genres I loved as a kid. But there have been some real gems as well that are every bit as good as the classics.

There was also a ton of crap back then too, hindsight is 20-20 and all but it also helps you avoid the trash.
Old 05-16-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I do love classic arcade games, like Defender, Pacman, Joust, Space Invaders, etc.

But I do also enjoy some new games, mainly FPS and puzzle games like The Witness and Portal 2. Although, I guess they're not exactly 'new' games, more like 'newish.'

I did find out, yesterday, that I don't particularly enjoy new platformer games, as I took advantage of the free copy of The Lego Ninjago Movie Video Game. It's a gorgeous game, I just don't enjoy playing it.
Old 05-16-20, 06:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

See, I love the classics and get them all when released in some form for today’s console. The Sega’s, the others they have compilations of, but I never stick with them. I just don’t feel them like I used to. Loved back in the day, but now just eh compared to what I’ve played on One...
Old 05-22-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a soft spot for 2D games with hand-drawn sprites from the 16 to 24-bit era, or current games which try to emulate that.
Old 05-22-20, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

This thread title is like something a troll would ask you so you could cross a bridge.