Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Maneater (5/22/20; Steam, XB1, PS4, Switch later)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Maneater (5/22/20; Steam, XB1, PS4, Switch later)

Old 01-06-21, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Maneater (5/22/20; Steam, XB1, PS4, Switch later)

Wrapped up the story on this last night and came away with a pretty high opinion of it. It took about an hour or two for things to gel for me, but once they did, it was a blast right up through the end. The only thing I didnít do was get my wanted level up to 10 and I doubt Iíll put in the extra half hour or so to do that.

I will say, I was surprised that the game didnít perform that well on the Series X. I was getting a lot of slowdown, not only when things got crazy, but just swimming around at times. I would pretty regularly encounter fish that looked like they were animated at like 10 frames/second or lower.

I also had a bizarre bug for the entire game, where any time one of the human bosses would show up for the first time, the camera perspective would lock to looking out of one of my sharkís gills and sheíd no longer be able to turn left or right. It happened for each of the 8 bosses I beat, but only for their first appearances in the game.

Still, the technical issues were a minor annoyance and the gameplay was a lot of fun. The story was more entertaining than I expected and having Chris Parnell narrate with a decently funny script added a lot to the entertainment value.
Old 01-06-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

I put in about 2 hours between the tutorial and the first area just eating fish and fighting crocs. Pretty dull so far (outside the tutorial with the swimmers). How long to get to the meatier stuff?
Old 01-06-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 395 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
How long to get to the meatier stuff?
Shouldn't be too much longer. (It's a short game.) Basically once you start evolving, attacking boats, eating people, and all that. The stuff that seems tedious and annoying now will be a cakewalk before you know it.
Old 01-06-21, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I put in about 2 hours between the tutorial and the first area just eating fish and fighting crocs. Pretty dull so far (outside the tutorial with the swimmers). How long to get to the meatier stuff?
Iím not sure if the game didnít mention it or if I just missed it, but I completely overlooked sonar until several hours into the game. Be sure to ping it a lot, as it reveals hidden items and theyíll help you level up a lot faster. I think I was probably around level 8 before everything started gelling and getting a lot more fun.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (01-06-21)
Old 01-07-21, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Iím not sure if the game didnít mention it or if I just missed it, but I completely overlooked sonar until several hours into the game. Be sure to ping it a lot, as it reveals hidden items and theyíll help you level up a lot faster. I think I was probably around level 8 before everything started gelling and getting a lot more fun.
Thanks for the tip. Just started this last night & am having a blast. Very unique game.
Old 04-01-21, 07:38 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Maneater - DLC Announcement Teaser

Last edited by WTK; 04-01-21 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (04-01-21)
Old 04-01-21, 08:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 238 Likes on 207 Posts

I’ll get al UE with all dlc if released. I don’t know if this game would appeal to me and surprised by the liking here.
Old 04-01-21, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

So, you will get the Ultimate Edition despite not knowing if the game will appeal to you? You only live once.
Old 04-01-21, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,373 Likes on 851 Posts

To be fair I've owned and played the game off and on for 10 months and am still not sure if it appeals to me.