DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/650393-assassins-creed-valhalla.html)

K&AJones 03-20-21 09:17 PM

Re: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Finished the Story and Finished The Order...an ending that I wasn't exactlly prepared for but I'll say...fitting. Have the complete Thor Set minus his Hammer, still odds & ends to do scattered all over, go back to Asgard and almost done with River Raids. I'm glad though it's done...been a long haul on this one and been fun for the most part coming a long, long way when I was on that dock with rags and not much else watching the Settlement Grow and seeing one new Alliance after another on the map....Good game....

...I'll take a break from AC Games for a bit and then decide to go back to Origins or Odyssey and finish those...probably Origins as I just liked the Egypt setting and the central character

OldBoy 03-20-21 09:38 PM

Is this game somewhat more limited than previous time periods, Ancient Egypt or Greece? Seems would be more scarcer land to wander. Might like it more actually if it were a bit more linear than Origins or Odyssey.

james2025a 03-21-21 07:11 AM

I dont think the history os lacking, its two issues for the game. First, even though they are Vikings its hard to set a game entirely in a Scandanavian setting as its a whole lot of white with little in the landscape. Adding is England is a good idea, but at this point historically it was largely rural and without much major structure. The game has given more than probably existed in a lot of these places at the time (York being one.... sure it had a city due to it being a Roman city and the wall the encompasses the city has stood there since way before the Vikings, but the Minster wasnt probably even built at that point. So they had to take certain liberties).

Secondly, the Egyptian and Greek histories have a wealth of large scale buildings, statues and locations that fit perfectly into this type of game. You want scale and size to truly immerse yourself into something that feels large.

I think a later set game with lush forests and Robin Hood and King Richard would have made a more interesting setting.

K&AJones 03-21-21 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13908870)
Is this game somewhat more limited than previous time periods, Ancient Egypt or Greece? Seems would be more scarcer land to wander. Might like it more actually if it were a bit more linear than Origins or Odyssey.

It's different in the sense that while you have freedom to choose and move around, with the enemy difficulty & leveling system you choose which Alliances you want to add which in England there are (11). And each will show what the Enemy Level is in that area. It's not forcing you to go in a line and follow a certain path...but when picking the Allianaces you're going after ones that are next to each other so you can choose whatever. And there's plenty in each as they all have they're own stories & twists. I liked this better than Odyssey for that reason, when going after a new Alliance you focused on that area doing that story, hitting side and extra stuff along the way and opening the map before going to the next....

Odyssey to me was way to spread out and seemed like ...too much to try and do while doing various side, main, extra quests. In Valhalla, pledge to a Alliance, go to that region and focus on that and no-where else, get their support and then choose another....

slop101 03-21-21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13908870)

No, it actually has far more land and locations to go through than either Origins or Odyssey, and that's the best thing about it - just wandering aimlessly coming upon hidden secrets and cool shit - or just enjoying the scenery, which is surprisingly therapeutically relaxing.

OldBoy 03-22-21 07:05 PM

^ wow. That sounds cool. I might like the dirty rugged mostly snowy Viking era settings. Do you really have to forge alliances? Does that get complicated or is it fairly easy? I don’t remember any of that in Odyssey.

slop101 03-23-21 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13909682)
^ wow. That sounds cool. I might like the dirty rugged mostly snowy Viking era settings. Do you really have to forge alliances? Does that get complicated or is it fairly easy? I don’t remember any of that in Odyssey.

Super easy. You get the Alliance missions from Randvi near your quarters, and you just pick a spot on the map to forge an alliance with (they're basically in order of levels, so you can't really play them out of order if you tackle them in the order of their levels). And each one plays out kinda like an episode or two of a TV show, with a bunch of missions that has you going through that land area (so you don't really need to do much exploring outside of these missions), and this is the bulk of the game. There also big side-missions that take you to different land-masses as well.

K&AJones 03-23-21 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13909682)

As Slop said....easy or hard depends on your Level (Skill Tree and Gear)....as I said, I liked how they did The Alliance & map as it's gives you freedom to choose but obviously common sense tells you if you're Level 100 don't try and do the Alliance that is level 160. And when you "Pledge" to that Alliance it's basically about you going there, helping out the situation via it's own story...which is either squabbles amony clans, determaining who becomes King or Leader while getting rid of The Bad Guys which in most case has a climatic invasion of a Castle or large area. And of course you open up Fast Travel with the normal....synchronization...at High Points around the towns and places in the region so you can alway fast travel there or certain doocks along the rivers.

I really enjoyed how they laid out The Alliance map and doing them...each had a story in-itself...and some very surprising. You more or less focused on that area until done and then looked at The Alliance map on where's the next one. With Odyssey...I felt you were being sent all over the map trying to do the main one while ending up with a couple of side ones everywhere you went....Valhalla it's more grouped yet large...

The other part is you also have far more...fine tuning...in your Gear and Character thru the Skill Tree as to how and what you want to be. With Dual Welding, and fairly extensive Armor and Weapon selection, the adding of "Runes" gems with ability, health, armor, weapon, elemental stats...you really have a lot to choose and do.....the one spot in the Skill Tree...the ability to Dual Weld Two Handed Weapons is the most important and game changer there is....IMHO....

Rob V 03-23-21 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 13909841)
....the one spot in the Skill Tree...the ability to Dual Weld Two Handed Weapons is the most important and game changer there is....IMHO....

I didn't know this... I have to find this skill. I've been using a spear the whole game lol

K&AJones 03-23-21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13909858)
I didn't know this... I have to find this skill. I've been using a spear the whole game lol

...I tried the Dual Spear early on and it's a blast...the reach is insane....but two of those 2Hand Axes are just a beast....The Sepulcher is must as crit ignite your weapon and it happens alot....I'd sometimes use this with the Light Shield...Morrigan's Guard which deals Poison on Parry...can't beat having Poison and Fire going without using abilities which when add those it's pretty much over for anything around...

mhg83 05-08-21 10:41 AM

I downloaded the Gold Version earlier this week ($60 on Walmart site)

Im really liking this over Odyssey. Odyssey was overloaded with too many repetitive quests and Points Of Interests. I'm really liking Valhalla take on Side Quests (World Events) So far I've found six WE and each has been unique and fun to do.

I'm 11 hours in but have only finished one main Quest lol. And now that I understand how the Dice game works I'm hooked on that mini game now :)

My only two gripes are the healing by collecting herbs and animals, and the bird is useless. :(

slop101 05-12-21 12:50 PM

Ireland DLC drops in a day or two, here's the trailer - looks great!

Rob V 06-07-21 06:24 AM

I'm almost done with this game (probably down to the last few missions) and I stumbled across the cave where you can get Excalibur. So I place my tablets and I see I am missing one...one freaking tablet. Check my map, no more Britain icons anywhere, no more zealots to kill either. I have no idea how to find the last tablet (happens to be the 2nd one from the left when looking left to right). Does anybody know which tablet that is by chance or a resource that might say it? I've Googled and cannot figure it out.

Noonan 06-07-21 10:15 AM

IGNs guide lists all the tablets and where to get them.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/assassins-...bur_Greatsword

Rob V 06-07-21 02:32 PM

I did find it... got Excalibur and finished The Order today. All wrapped up. I have no intention of getting 100% or getting the DLC. It was a fun game for sure but way too long (as always).

OldBoy 06-07-21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13932666)
Ireland DLC drops in a day or two, here's the trailer - looks great!

that looked really good. Much different then we’ve seen in any of these new incarnations since Origins.

OldBoy 06-07-21 07:37 PM

Just downloaded. Guess I should actually play the game first. :lol:

Rob V 06-08-21 11:38 AM

^^ You bought the DLC before playing? That's quite a gamble.

OldBoy 06-08-21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13943191)
^^ You bought the DLC before playing? That's quite a gamble.

i bought the Gold edition. SP comes with.

Music 06-08-21 05:37 PM

Sooo.... yes.

OldBoy 06-08-21 06:27 PM

Well, technically I didn’t just buy that one Ireland dlc. I bought the gold edition which has them all, so it’s technically no as I didn’t buy that specific dlc. Just comes with my edition.

K&AJones 06-13-21 08:59 AM

Ubisoft's E3 AC: Valhalla presentation on the game, stats, Wrath of Druids and the upcoming Seige of Paris DLC...and even dropping hints more to come. I put this down after finishing the story to take a break. I didn't get the Gold or Season Pass...Druids DLC reviews have been mixed a bit but the Seige of Paris looks interesting; I might bite on a sale later....

lwhy? 11-07-21 04:29 PM

I finally picked this up for $19.99 on sale. It's still on sale at Best Buy and Amazon if anyone wants to pick it up. Did you all prefer playing as the male or female Eivor? Kassandra was so much better than Alexios in Odyssey. I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it before I start playing.

ViewAskewbian 11-08-21 10:54 AM

I agree regarding Kassandra in Odyssey and am just about to start Valhalla so also interested in what character people most enjoyed playing as here.

Rob V 11-09-21 10:07 AM

I was a male (Eivor) for this one... it felt like it made sense considering the relationship of the boy to his dad and his "brother".